Not a member there but was considering joining. My son and I had done some steel shoots there in the past. got a weird email today from a member about the lead remediation in the pits? I know they were rebuilding them, will they be ready for the season? Was this project halted by the Pinelands Commission? One would have thought all the plans and permits would have been in place before they even started? Anyone got any insights?

XD,

Joined last week. As far as the pits go from what they said, the Pinelands commission came in after approving the plans and found some other infractions. They are on hold now as the lawyers and commission try to work it out. Something about water runoff and retention pits. As far as I know there is no completion date set as they have stopped work.

Jimmy

From what I understand, the Pin Com wont even consider anything until violations are resolved. The club maintains that what the PC is calling violations is previously approved by the PC. They are saying..prove it. It appears to me that as usual a beurocracy will punish you to no end for trying to do the right thing.... Focus is cleaning up lead, there stuck on a trap rock driveway.

I doubt it will take years, maybe weeks. In the meantime, I believe the lead remediation goes on, it seems like the reconstruction was the issue. The LR was behind due to bad weather, snow & rain, etc. Last I had heard there was back and forth w/ PC and club and some stuff needs to be approved by the board or the membership, then the usual bureaucratic delays. All the other ranges are open there.

I spoke with one of the board members while loading my car the other day. When I asked when he figured the pits would be done he told me about the Pinelands Commission woes. I asked if we had an attorney who has dealt with those folks before and he said yes. As of a few days ago I heard the machines that process soil running so they still must be removing the lead.

The lead cleanup should be done this week!! :clap: The only thing holding up this part of the project was the weather.

The Pineland Commission problem is being addressed. They are concerned that our stone and dirt driveway and parking lots are impermeable. We can remove all the stone and gravel and have dirt driveway and parking lots or install drainage and retention basin(s). I guess we could probably have permeable pavers installed too if we had some stimulus money?

The engineer hired by CJRPC has drawn up plans for a retention basin and drainage. The plan has been submitted to the commission and we await their reply. No new construction can start until the drainage question is answered. Once the approval is given by the Pinelands, the club will be able to get approvals and permits from Jackson Township and start work.

There are no problems anticipated in getting Township permits as they have been in the loop from the beginning and are only awaiting our go ahead from the Pinelands Commission.

The redesigned pits will number up to 13. There will be concrete barriers for dividing them. The back berm will be dirt and height increased to approximately 20 feet. Old pit #6 will become the retention pond area.

The number of pits may change due to requirements of certain disciplines like SASS needing wider areas and the club will work with all concerned parties to try and accommodate everyone.

The pit redesign allows more shooters to enjoy their sport and will continue to keep CJR&PC the best in the state.

I'm glad I joined and feel the cost was not a lot considering the facility.

+1 shotgun fields should be open today they just seeded the fields this week.as far as d-way issue .i dont see them removing the gravel,this would be a saftey issue for emergency veichles ,plus you need handicap access.as far as the cost for 250.00 ayear you cant beat it with a bat.when all the remodeling is over it should be sweet.24/7 indoor range is a plus to anyone with crazy schedules . i had a membership with B.A. it expired. did not renew since i belong to CJ.the only thing i miss is b-sing with john and milton there good guys.did the f-dix thing also weekends were very crowded.during the week was tough with schedule.if you do the math at the end of the day central jersey is cheeper in the long run.you can shoot on your schedule not theres.

and what about that letter? did we find out what the cease and desist was for?

From the CJRPC General Membership meeting last night, either the President or one of the BoD members reported that the letter from the PC was more of a form letter that said (my paraphrase) "cease all construction" not "cease operations" i.e. shooting, lead remediation, etc.

The lawyer the club retained said it's a standard boilerplate letter from the PC. Nothing to worry about as long as the club addresses the PC's concerns before beginning construction.

Much ado about nothing. :roll:

--Daniel

let me know if you guys need pricing for the sitework (Utilities, grading, ect.)to be done. Im a project manager for an excavating company. We do this work all the time. I can look at the plans and give you an idea of the cost associated with the work.

I was thinking of joining, and that is how i came upon this site. Just from what i read here, it sounds like they have plans being drawn up as we speak to rectify these problems. I saw the post about having a retention basin, so i am assuming they will be installing storm drainage throughout the property to collect the flow, therefor allowing the driveway to be kept. The retention basin needs to be big enough to retain all water flow from the impervious areas. Im not sure what kind of budget they have, but this will not be cheap by any means.

My concearns center around the violation remediation and all that water flow reseviour crap. One of the violations as I understand it is the acres of rock that make up the roadway and the parking areas. They want it removed :shock:

I have been to every meeting for the last eight months. The lead clean-up and pit redesign has been discussed at every meeting. The Pinelands commission gave notice of "violations" in December. The board got notice on 12-23 or 12-24.

As mentioned in my last post, the Pinelands commission found fault with the stone and gravel used on our Road/Driveway/ParkingLots. Their concern is possible runoff. They want us to prevent runoff. There are several ways to achieve the desired result. The club has chosen to install drainage from the involved area to a retention basin. A proposal has been submitted and we await their reply.

I've been to the last several meetings. The whole project completion sounds like it will take months. Permits anyone? The new walls planed are not designed for action pistol (i.e. cowboy action, uspsa, steel, etc). The one thing that really struck home was the fact that the club has to get on the Jackson zoning board for pit reconstruction (walls) permits, and after plan and proposal gets accepted, it will be 45 days before Jackson can even issue the reconstruction permit. So, we have all the pinelands issues, and town issues; you do the math. It's such a shame. If only they could start and finish one job at a time, so we would have a place to shoot. I hope CJRPC will be ready and not have to cancel the big shoots, such as GSSF, and Cowboy Action State Championships.

"The new walls planed are not designed for action pistol (i.e. cowboy action, uspsa, steel, etc)."

Really? Don't they have to be built to some sort of code for a range? I seem to remember the walls at BA needed to be concrete blocks and fully filled with cement?

I was actually looking to join but now I am a little concerned with all the issues going on. I think I will wait and see what happens.

Hey Bryan,

I joined last week and went to the meetings. They said at the meetings that the run off holding tanks will comply with the Pinelands Comm. and that they will not have to rip up the parking lots, or roadway into the club. I wouldn't let whats going on hold you back from joining. It has to do with the pits and has not impacted the rest of the club. I was there yesterday and today and had a great time. YMMV but I am quite happy I became a member.

Jimmy

I was actually looking to join but now I am a little concerned with all the issues going on. I think I will wait and see what happens.

Hey Bryan,

I joined last week and went to the meetings. They said at the meetings that the run off holding tanks will comply with the Pinelands Comm. and that they will not have to rip up the parking lots, or roadway into the club. I wouldn't let whats going on hold you back from joining. It has to do with the pits and has not impacted the rest of the club. I was there yesterday and today and had a great time. YMMV but I am quite happy I became a member.

Jimmy

You are forgetting one key issue here Jimmy. Money. There is a finite amount of it at the bank.

All of this fun stuff costs a pretty penny. It is stupid not to consider prices going up..... alot.

Hey Bryan,

Jimmy

You are forgetting one key issue here Jimmy. Money. There is a finite amount of it at the bank.

All of this fun stuff costs a pretty penny. It is stupid not to consider prices going up..... alot.

According to the Director's the money is already allocated for the Pits, and the holding tanks will not be prohibitively expensive. They said dues will not go up. Now whether you believe that or not?.... They had 22 people join up last week so I don't think they are hurting for membership/cash at the moment. Again, I have only been a member for a week so I am not in the know, just what I hear. No one at the meeting seemed worried about the outlay of cash for the holding tanks, only what the pits will accommodate. They are increasing the pits from 6 to 13 with the new construction when it happens.

Jimmy

Well, for those of you that were at the last meeting, you know that the BOD said they have enough funds to build ten berms, and the last 3 will be built when thy have more funding. They plan to use high density hay bales to let the action shooters do their thing. Lastly, I agree with MAKSIM:"Money. There is a finite amount of it at the bank.

All of this fun stuff costs a pretty penny. It is stupid not to consider prices going up..... alot." The president himself said he would be the one leading AGAINST a raise in dues....ASSESSMENTS anyone?"Section 6. Should the Directors, by a majority vote, determine that an assessment over and above the annual dues be required, the amount of the assessment shall be affirmed by a two-thirds (2/3) vote of the regular members present and voting at a regular or special meeting, for which notice shall be sent at least ten (10) days prior to the meeting. The assessment, if approved, shall be levied upon all regular members. Notice of the amount of the assessment shall be sent to the general membership and shall be payable not later than ninety (90) days from the date of notice. Members who have not paid the assessment within the prescribed time will have their membership terminated, will forfeit all paid-up dues and will surrender their membership credentials." "4. Honorary members shall have all the rights and privileges of Regular members, except no assessments or dues shall be levied against them, nor shall they have the right to vote or to hold office." So who does this affect? All of the members who do not hold office.

ShooterNJ hits the nail on the head. If they don't have the money to finish the pits then the club is broke. In 2 years CJ redid the indoor range started a lead remediation plan and are redesigning the pits. One of these projects is a major undertaking let alone all 3. Now they admit they can't finish the pits and they still have not received approval from the PC so if the PC ask for any changes the costs could increase. I see a dues increase and an assessment. We have 2,700 members and if you start hitting members for money how many casual shooters will drop out? This puts a greater burden on the remaining members.

AFAIK, from the last meeting I was at last year, there was enough money in the club coffers to accommodate the numbers I have heard bandied about regarding additional costs for the pit redesign, and then some. Someone was doing rainy day planning for years, so supposedly things should be OK. I guess we will see.

After all the improvements Wolfy mentioned, including the shotgun field lead and other cleanup, reseeding and the scale of the pit project, I think both the board and membership will need a break from undertaking any major projects for a couple years. After all that though, the only major things I'd think left would be lead remediation for the HP GP and outdoor pistol ranges, which shouldn't be as big a deal as the pits, as that should be straight cleanup and putting back the same way.

Just my 0.02, I am a local and am sticking with CJRPC.

ShooterNJ hits the nail on the head. If they don't have the money to finish the pits then the club is broke. In 2 years CJ redid the indoor range started a lead remediation plan and are redesigning the pits. One of these projects is a major undertaking let alone all 3.

Since I was at the meetings, unless the treasurer is lying about our bank balances, there is no shortage of funds to complete the project.

Now they admit they can't finish the pits

I sure did miss this. They mentioned possible changes in number of pits to accommodate shooting disciplines that require wider areas. I heard nothing about ability to complete the job.

and they still have not received approval from the PC so if the PC ask for any changes the costs could increase.

I see a dues increase and an assessment. We have 2,700 members and if you start hitting members for money how many casual shooters will drop out? This puts a greater burden on the remaining members.

Those members that have attended meetings over the last year or so, know what is going on. There were a lot of folks at this last meeting that appeared to be totally against the pit redesign and were looking for a fight. Where the hell were they when the motions were made, seconded, and voted on?????Seemed to me, a relative newcomer, that certain factions just found fault with anything the board and officers do. Also seemed to me that they couldn't hear or maybe comprehend the English language as question after question was asked after it was already answered. At times I was embarrassed for them.

Wolfy don't take all this as directed at you personally. I just use your post to illustrate my views and opinions.

Guys, I want to join. CJ is the closest range to my house and only 10 minutes away. o it makes sense.

I am just concerned that shelling out $400 for the intro fee, then another $250 for my dues, to only then get fee'd again for these projects.

I have been seriously considering this place since Wolfy told me about them in Jan/ Feb. Sounds like a great place. Maybe I will have to tag along with somebody to get the feel of the range and go from there.