Sign in to follow this  
axeman_g

Looking for a new, NEW rifle... suggestions welcome.

ok... I have the jones for something new. And what I really mean by that is new to me but mostly something modern.

My current collection of long guns is this...

Rem 597

GSG5

Garand 1952

Henderson RomyG Ak47

Mossy 500 Wood Field 1970s

Browning A5 Sweet Sixteen 1934

Beretta 303A

You might notice the lack of anything designed after 1985... except the 597 but that dont count.

I have too much stuff... I cant decide what to shoot when I got to the range... except the GSG because it is too much fun. Between 7 different handguns (G19, SW14, SIGP6, FNP46USG, Ruger MkII, SW M19, SIG P220 i pick up when I get back to NJ) I dont have time to wring the stuff all out. And stuff gets neglected. Case in point, I got the AK in Jan... I have put 100 rds through it ... 100. That is just sad. I like it, but the last two time I have gone to the range I took the Garand once and then the GSG the next. The 597 gets shot, and was so cheap to buy I think it will just stay around.

So thinking of consolidating, going to one 9mm... one .45.... one classic rifle, I dont think the Garand is going anywhere, and one modern rifle. Something cutting edge... something designed in the last 10 years or something that has been continuosly updated. I love FALS and was thinking along those lines, but that is a 60 year old design as well. Needs... none. Gun will become my primary shooter right out of the box. I want it to be my only choice on range days. Not really looking for shorty carbines... i want a rifle.

I think I can generate about $1500 if I sell some stuff... and i could up another $500 so keep it under $2K. What do you all think.... MSAR, SIG, AR, AK74, SCAR, ACR, ???? Give me suggestions. I am a cheap bastard at heart so keep that in mind. Mags must be affordable, accesories also.

Remington 700 PSS in .308 will be about 1k

Spend another 1k on a piece of glass

And have a blast

Or get a platform for a .338 lapua and then go broke

or

Build an AR-15 in 6.5 grendel should be about 1500-1700 dollars for upper and lower etc. But then your going to need a piece of glass as well.

My vote, remington 700 PSS bolt guns are just plain ole fun.

OR!!!!

Get a Finn M39, leave the iron sights on it, and spend the remaining 1700 dollars on ammo and have a continuous smile for the next 2 years

you know... I had been looking at bolts... Had a FNPBR that I really liked but I am thinking less weight this time. I looked at the Rem 700 SPS and a Tika t-3.

Proactive is getting a Savage Precision Carbine soon... I think I will wait to shoot that. If not I think I will go Ptr91 or DSA STG58... always wanted one.

Forget the SCAR & the ACR right now as they are just too much coin. Wait a year or so and the price will drop about $500, look at the MSAR as an example. Of all the arms mentioned I would go with a DSA SA58 or a M1A Scout. Both are phenomenal, proven arms well worth their weight. Next year get the SCAR.

I like the idea of a bolt gun. I spend most of my time with them and going to the range for a few hours and only firing 40 rds is much cheaper then 300 rds of 223 down an ar in 30 minutes. I'm not trying to push another forum on you guys but snipercentral offers a custom 700 with glass for around 1100 that shoots sub 1/2 minute. I spent some time with it in Montana last year and really enjoyed it.