Sign in to follow this  
GoNRA

New Jersey: Should I Stay or Should I Go?

Getting out with out loosing money on the house is the bigger problem. But if we stay, they raise the taxes and it costs more anyway. Catch 22 here no matter which way you look

I have evaluated that and I know how much I will lose. While I wish it would change, I know that if I stay here, in short order, my property taxes will quickly exceed what I could have lost on the sale of my house.

Getting out with out loosing money on the house is the bigger problem. But if we stay, they raise the taxes and it costs more anyway. Catch 22 here no matter which way you look

I have evaluated that and I know how much I will lose. While I wish it would change, I know that if I stay here, in short order, my property taxes will quickly exceed what I could have lost on the sale of my house.

On Saturday I met my daughter's in-laws for the first time. They have a 3800 SF house on 2.5 acres in Alabama. His total property tax bill, including school taxes is $700 and change. As an aside, I explained, or rather tried to explain, NJ's byzantine system of gun laws. He was incredulous to say the least. One statement he made was that the laws make no sense. Well, Duh!

Get out while you're young. I'm 21 and permanently relocating to Virginia in July to start the Police Academy and my career with a Central VA LE Agency...it was a long selection process and I CANNOT wait to start! I will miss NJ though... my family, the beach...... NJ is still a great state IMO but I am looking forward to life in the South.