FBodyJim

Lakehurst Navy base lock down / Federal Carry Permit?

I might be late in asking, but based on the stories I've read, ie: http://www.nj.com/news/index.ssf/2010/0 ... raril.html that lockdown the other day at Fort Dix was due to a FedEx driver having a handgun in his truck. The stories all seem to go on to say something like "State police reports indicated the delivery truck driver has a permit to carry the weapon, a .38-caliber handgun." and further that the handgun was not registered in NJ.

So any idea what kind of permit this guy might have and/or what kind(s) of federal permits might be available that seem to hold some weight in NJ? I mean, he was given a federal citation for bringing the gun onto a base, but he wasn't tossed in jail or fined for illegal possession of a handgun in NJ. And was he carrying as in on his person(s) or in carrying as in the gun was in a locked case in the cargo/trunk area of the truck out of the driver's reach?

I suppose the guy could be a federal agent doing some side-work as a FedEx driver and this is easily explainable but I'd be curious to know some more info here if anyone has ideas what kind of permit the guy has/had and/or how he seemed to trump NJ gun law?

Sometimes I'm not sure why I bother but....

First, I'm not asking about NJ carry permits - I have to think those of us on this forum know those laws well enough.

Second, sure, I know, all of the media is always all wrong all of the time. I got it, I know, really.

http://www.fox12idaho.com/Global/story.asp?S=12682604

http://www.examiner.com/x-54250-Google- ... -man-cited

http://wcbstv.com/local/navair.base.lak ... 63359.html

So again, I'll repeat for the few people who might read and think about my question instead of just replying with non-sense. What is stated in multiple sources seems to be:

1) Carrying in NJ

2) Not registered in NJ

3) Was given a citation only for trying to bring the gun onto a military base, which again, I'd like to think those of us here know

So I'll repeat my question and hope for a better researched answered - what kind of permit does this guy have and from where that he can carry a gun in NJ? And since the gun isn't registered in NJ, according to NJ.com and every other news source I've read this story at, it seems likely that the permit is not a NJ carry permit.

Hm, the guy was a sub to Fedex, not a Fedex employee, from the media I saw, doing Custom Critical delivery, which is basically courier service. Mayhap he was authorized carry whilst performing that job? But you'd think he or the company he worked for would know about not being able to bring firearms on DoD places? Or perhaps he/they thought they were authorized by DoD, since they were making a delivery to a base? BTW, they ask that question of ALL truck drivers, especially ones they don't know or who go to the wrong gate?

Maybe he was carrying a big box of 92fs's back from repair :D

He may be retired pd from out-of-state with a "federal permit" allowing him to carry in all states.

+1. Doing courier work after 20-30 years as a LEO?

Registration in NJ is voluntary anyway. He could also have purchased the gun while a resident of a different state.

Also, last I heard, its not outright illegal for privately owned firearms to be brought on to a military installation. The vast majority of military installations do not allow for privately owned firearms to be carried, but there are definitely exceptions-- its the decision of every installation commander. The location I had worked at did allow for firearms to be carried (conceal or not) on to the installation, though the firearm had to be kept in the vehicle (and not allowed into the actual facilities/buildings).

Also, last I heard, its not outright illegal for privately owned firearms to be brought on to a military installation. The vast majority of military installations do not allow for privately owned firearms to be carried, but there are definitely exceptions-- its the decision of every installation commander. The location I had worked at did allow for firearms to be carried (conceal or not) on to the installation, though the firearm had to be kept in the vehicle (and not allowed into the actual facilities/buildings).

Correct, we allow hunting on lakehurst (for employees / retired military) and fort dix (employees / retired military / small amount of public)

So I'll repeat my question and hope for a better researched answered - what kind of permit does this guy have and from where that he can carry a gun in NJ? And since the gun isn't registered in NJ, according to NJ.com and every other news source I've read this story at, it seems likely that the permit is not a NJ carry permit.

If one has a carry permit from jersey, do the gun they carry have to be registered in jersey? Also, is it possible that the guy is an armored truck security officer contracted by fedex to deliver "valuables"?

probably not charged in nj because incident took place on federal property + nj law does not apply -