Krdshrk

Valley Forge Gun Show - Sept 17-19

I think I read that Pizza Bob will be there today.

Definitely! I'm a fat, old guy and I'll be wearing a black Sig Sauer polo shirt. Leaving the house a little after 3 PM. See you there.

calendar is loaded this weekend.. i may be able to squeeze in a couple of hours on sunday.

couple of questions before i decide-

is it worth it, might they be cleaned out of all the good deals by Sunday?

are deals on ammunition usually pretty good at these gun shows?

anyone been to the december show? is it pretty much the same or is the september one the show to attend?

Brief Show Report:

First, this is the first time I've gone on Friday and let me tell you, it's worth the extra $5. Plenty of room, not crowded, it was wonderful.

I thought there were some decent deals to be had, but you had to look for them. My tastes run different than most, so I was looking for things that most guys wouldn't. Three really neat rifles. A limited edition Winchester (made by Miroku) 1885 Highwall in .45-90 was one - priced OK and actually from a NJ dealer (NJ Firearms Guild - Rahway). Would rather have it in .38-55 or .405 Winchester.

A Remington 798 in .375 H&H. These are the Mauser actioned Remingtons built in Serbia. Most recently imported by, the now defunct, Charles Daley, but previously the Interarms Mark X Mauser. A great action - claw extracto and controlled round feed. This one had what Remington called a "Realwood" stock. An interesting take on laminating. A walnut blank, split on the centerline with a narrow ply of maple within a thin sandwich of carbon fiber between the walnut. Hardly noticeable except for the "skunk stripe" caused by the center ply. The had maple grip caps and forend tips - really quite striking. I thought it was a deal at $995, until I did some research and found that at times they sell for considerably less. Unfortunately Remington has discontinued these. Always wanted a .375 H&H (have no idea why), but they have always been >$2K for most. Might keep and eye out for one of these Remmys at a better price.

Third, was a custom Ruger #1. Custom stocked and chambered for .348 Winchester - a caliber I am enamored of. Had a sticker of $1200, but figure it could be had for much less - very limited market for this type of gun and .348 components aren't plentiful, but they are out there. I already have a hoard of ammo and components for my Model 71.

Ammo - One dealer had some RWS .45 ACP ball for $18/box of 50. It was marked "Match". I don't think a lot of people know what RWS is - they make high quality ammo and this would have been a steal, had I needed it. Saw .308 Federal GMM for $20 a box - which you can do locally. I bought two boxes of M2 ball, just because I want to regulate the sights on my O3-A3 before Oct, in case I decide to shoot in that match. With all the Greek surplus out there, I probably got hosed at $25 for two boxes. Headstamp was 1957, but I really didn't want/need .30-06 in bulk.

Ran across a really nice S&W model 27. 6" barrel (somewhat unusual) made in 1968 (original receipt was in the box - $143 - as were the tools) with standard trigger, hammer and magna stocks. Very nice condition for $595. A lot of interesting guns, but at relatively normal prices.

Got to meet Babaganoosh and his girlfriend. I'll leave it for him to say, but let me just inform you that he has succumbed to one of the "illnesses" enumerated in Maks' Gun Disease thread.

Have fun at the show.

Adios,

Pizza Bob

calendar is loaded this weekend.. i may be able to squeeze in a couple of hours on sunday.

couple of questions before i decide-

is it worth it, might they be cleaned out of all the good deals by Sunday?

are deals on ammunition usually pretty good at these gun shows?

anyone been to the december show? is it pretty much the same or is the september one the show to attend?

- No idea, it all depends on the who what and where. The show is very big so unless you're looking for something very rare like a specific C&R or an obscure rifle, you will find what you are looking for.

- The prices are a little higher than online, however, there is no shipping charge. It all depends on what, really, bulk ammo is OK on price and handgun or premium ammo is usually jacked up too high

- I was at the December one last year but it snowed out and PICS was shut down so no gun purchases. I'd say it's a little busier than Sept since it's Christmas time

The variety of guns there was very diverse. Looking through the usual milsurp stuff, I also found some Egyptian rasheeds and hakims which are pretty cool along with an 8mm fn49. Plenty of garands in various configs including carbines. Also saw a Garand sniper similar to the one usnmars posted about and I couldn't believe the price-$9000!! I bought a few accessories, fondled a lot of guns but didn't buy any.

• Like 1