Sign in to follow this  
Wolfy

Bed bugs at local theater

Bed bugs were eliminated by DDT.

Rachel Carlson's Silent Spring has been causing havoc for 40+ years and cost millions of lives all based on one faulty study.

Now it rears it's head again as unclean people from third world countries invade us. This time we don't have one of the main tools to combat this.

Just wait until it's epidemic on the upper west side. Watch for a repeal of the ban.

Now it rears it's head again as unclean people from third world countries invade us.

THIS...

people keep saying.. oh let them all come.. give us them all.. yeah well with that you bring the financial burden... whatever disease/bugs they bring with them.. and all the rest.. it's all a mess..

More likely that the EPA will require a government inspection of all residences annually for bedbugs and other vermin, levy heavy fines on homeowners and landlords, and make it impossible to sell or rent properties until an (egregiously expensive) EPA sanctioned remediation process is completed and certified.

All these things we got rid of, are now coming back because of these third world country people.

Remember Measles, TB, Polio, just to name a few. We got all these things coming in , because they claim its against their religion or culture to do as we do, and get vaccinated. And we just let them get away with it...

I would think its more so general laziness and the lack of oversight by the TSA and other agencies in charge of traveler's hygiene then it is because of religious reasons ("cultural reasons" have never been a legitimate reason for people to be exempt from vaccinations).

I would think its more so general laziness and the lack of oversight by the TSA and other agencies in charge of traveler's hygiene

There is no agency in charge of "traveler's hygiene". There are laws concerning exclusion for infectious diseases but there is no "hygiene exam" for entry to the US and you can't refuse admission to someone because they need a bath.

In any case, there seems to be multiple bedbug reports in the news lately.

blame the green people,1990s democrats ,we had the products to kill bed bugs but they are gone now in 1996 laws were passed that eliminated whole classes of pesticides based on hysteria not science .wait till some guest at the white house gets fed on in the lincoln bedroom then we will get some attention

What are the odds there is a topic on bed bugs right now? is it bed bug season or something? My grandma has bed bugs at here place, just heard about it last night, she left and is staying with relatives up north until we can get some professionals over there.

I am a hotel General Manager and we get bed bugs about once a month. normally, the guests brought them in from another hotel during their travels but didn't consider that they may have them in their luggage as well.

Costs us about $2500 for treatment and cost of soft goods replacement such as mattresses and pillows. If we are lucky, we can salvage the mattresses but only if they are encased in a cover designed to keep bed bugs out (or in).

I am a hotel General Manager and we get bed bugs about once a month. normally, the guests brought them in from another hotel during their travels but didn't consider that they may have them in their luggage as well.

Costs us about $2500 for treatment and cost of soft goods replacement such as mattresses and pillows. If we are lucky, we can salvage the mattresses but only if they are encased in a cover designed to keep bed bugs out (or in).

What could a hotel traveller do to make sure he isn't the vessel?

{had bed bugs in a 25 unit building due to some jack ass the bought a parrot. Was not fun, but I gottsta travel.)

First thing I do when traveling is to take off the sheets and check the mattress. Look under the large cord seams on the top and bottom. Especially on the head of the bed. If you see black spots like pepper, that is a sure sign of either bed bugs or it had bed bugs and they kept the mattress but didn't bother to encase it. The black specks are their blood excrement. Checking this way, you may even find some of the critters.

If you really want to check, remove the headboard or check the box spring or bedframe for more evidence.

They are such a problem, we also treat the rooms next door and above and below for precautionary methods. They travel in vaccums as well as between rooms through electrical outlets.

One hotel in our region which we sold over a year ago had about 25 rooms out of order due to a bed bug infestation. I won't say which organization brought them in but it was a religious group traveling for some convention.

First thing I do when traveling is to take off the sheets and check the mattress. Look under the large cord seams on the top and bottom. Especially on the head of the bed. If you see black spots like pepper, that is a sure sign of either bed bugs or it had bed bugs and they kept the mattress but didn't bother to encase it. The black specks are their blood excrement. Checking this way, you may even find some of the critters.

If you really want to check, remove the headboard or check the box spring or bedframe for more evidence.

They are such a problem, we also treat the rooms next door and above and below for precautionary methods. They travel in vaccums as well as between rooms through electrical outlets.

One hotel in our region which we sold over a year ago had about 25 rooms out of order due to a bed bug infestation. I won't say which organization brought them in but it was a religious group traveling for some convention.

wow. How common is this and how quickly does the management notice this and react? Anything that can be done on a pre-emptive basis?

Now you got me concerned.

Bed bugs are no joke. When we had them everyone was thinking we were some nasty couple. That was before we spoke to the exterminator and he told us that they traveled down 3 floors through the steam risers, in the winter... and that the rest of the building had them 2 months before but no one told us. :x

My wife would sell the house at a loss if we had those buggers again.

You think mosquitos itch? These fuggers hurt! and itch, at the same time

Well, either the room attendant noticed it but this is not usually the case. They are on such time restraints that they are given only a certain amount of minutes to clean each room. No worries as the washing procedures kills all eggs and lives bugs.

The usual situations is that we get a complaint and see the precense when we check the room. Our rep says that it takes about 3 weeks from the introduction of bed bugs to them living in the mattress and start to feed at night.

When I personally check a room, gloves and shower caps on my shoes when I go in. They honestly are not something to take chances on.

We call our pest elimination company minutes after we find them. Treatment takes about 2 weeks.

If you check the mattress before unpacking and settling in, you should be good. Put your luggage on the dresser or desk before you inspect.

The scary part is it doesn't matter how nice or run down a hotel is, we all get them.

no prevenetive but eatons makes a small spray pump/spray bottle for travlers to treat luggage and maybe the dresser draw you might use. best investment at home is bed covers labled as encasements anything else is a waste of your money .the ones I sell have zip ties to prevent opening once installed they must stay on for 18 months,bed bugs may live without food or water 600 days or more

The one thing I noticed about bedbugs and "Green People". I was working for this pest control company in Essex county and we had a few clients we serviced in Montclair for bedbugs. They basically thought they had some type of mosquito biting them but didnt see them. I said OK. Where do you sleep? I would pull the covers off their mattress and they would think I was crazy. A few times I would find piles of bedbugs on the seams and stitching of the mattress. You should see the horror on their face. They werent so "GREEN" after they saw those bugs. They were like "whatever you have to use...i dont care..get rid of them!!!" They all of the sudden didnt mind the chemicals in their home after they saw those bedbugs.