Sign in to follow this  
david8613

quick question on carbines you see in movies

i didnt know where to post this, i wanted to why i have seeing in movies when they show swat team guys with carbines sweeping rooms they have what looks like .22 caliber magazines on there carbines. is that the caliber used? wouldnt you want something bigger.

Do you have an example of what you're talking about, david8613? I'm not discounting you at all, just curious about any specific films you have in mind ;)

From my exposure to films, the firearms and how they're used in comparison to "real life" are rarely accurate. Guys like John Milius and others who get good trainers, like Dale Dye, are few. Also, most US military uniforms (and I'm sure the unis of foreign military) are rarely accurate... whether its a name tapes switched, or the flag on the wrong shoulder... etc. I've heard it was because a lot of films don't get the 'OK' technically from DOD, and have to alter the uniform. The Transformer films though have/are getting permission, and, as you would notice, are two hour advertisements ;)

i didnt know where to post this, i wanted to why i have seeing in movies when they show swat team guys with carbines sweeping rooms they have what looks like .22 caliber magazines on there carbines. is that the caliber used? wouldnt you want something bigger.

Give this site a shot.Guns in Movies.

are those mp5 new jersey legal? are they considered rifles or pistols i dont know?

after spending a ton of time looking for a little sub gun I settled on the CX4 storm.. it is a LITTLE long but the closest thing I could get to a small compact carbine that is of any quality...

if it has a stock and is meant to be fired from the shoulder.. it is a long gun

if it does not have a stock and is not meant to be fired from the shoulder.. it is a handgun

pump shotguns being the only exception I can think of..

I'm pretty sure it's illegal. Like said if it has a stock, its a short barrel rifle. Even if you could find one with out a stock and was semi-auto, i'm sure NJ would still give you a hard time. The whole point of the MP5 is to put a stock on a pistol combined with a long barrel, and rapid fire. I don't see much interest in a semi-auto non-stock version.

The best answer would be to contact some one who could give you legal advice about it, since NJ laws are pretty general, the end user gets screwed a lot becuase there made to be in favor of interpretation by the state. So what may seem cut and past to you, isn't to them. Lots of Mumbo Jumbo in those laws, some as stupid as a marking on the side of the gun could make it legal/illegal.

What makes it even more difficult is finding the law/regulation you need to be certain of. The state website has the general outline for owning a gun, but that's about it, the finer detail is harder to find.

are those mp5 new jersey legal? are they considered rifles or pistols i dont know?

MP5 is specifically listed as a assault weapon in NJ. There was a semi auto variant made sold as a pistol that became illegal in NJ when they passed the AW law. Any sbr or full auto version would also be illegal in NJ.

i remember sometime ago a guy had a mac 10 new jersey legal but it was being sold as a pistol, thats pretty small.

the masterpiece arms in 9mm as of my last check is still NJ legal Paul at Arms & Ammo had access to them.. this is similar to a "mac" type gun..

would be ALL OVER THAT if it came in ANYTHING more powerful than 22.. LOL

the masterpiece arms in 9mm as of my last check is still NJ legal Paul at Arms & Ammo had access to them.. this is similar to a "mac" type gun..

I had one, and I think I saw it for sale in the marketplace. Its a neat gun to trick out and giggle at, but not really useful for target shooting.