Sign in to follow this  
PK90

NJ Handgun Carry Permit Holders ...

Some of the numbers are skewed a bit because they don't take into consideration the states that can carry openly. Virginia is one of them

The numbers are listed as Concealed Carry Permits. They have asterisks for the states that don't discriminate and for the haters. Do you have to be 21 or 18 for a CCW? I know it's 21 to purchase...

Even if NJ just had the national average there would be close to 200,000 permit holders. Instead we have 1200... disgusting.

Do you have to be 21 or 18 for a CCW? I know it's 21 to purchase...

You have to be 21 to purchase from an FFL under Federal law. There are many states where one may purchase a handgun from a private seller at age 18/19 and some states where you cannot CCW until 21 but can OC at 18 or so.

Out of those 1200 people I know about...only one! My uncle is a retired police captain and has his carry permit.

I Believe that the Retired LE permits are classfied differently, there HAVE to be more than 1200 Retired LEO's alone since 1996 when they made the Permit issuance automatic on request. I Believe the 1200 number refers to the "Employment" permits for Armed Security and Private Investigators and the Like.

Guest schutzen-jager

True, but others do. So I guess it has something to do with the size of the business.

only has to do with attitude of permit judge in the county you live - middlesex county has issued none to individuals that i know of -

the 1200 have to be FFL dealers, jewlers, or someone that carries valuables with them all the time.

Most of them are probably retired LE and licensed security guards. And the security guards can only carry while on the job so their permits are really 'half' permits. Being an FFL has no bearing on getting a CCW permit. Folklore says carrying lots of cash or jewels is still not considered reason to have a permit.

I don't know of a single case of an ordinary citizen getting a permit, or what was considered acceptable cause, or even if ANY permits were issued besides LE/security guards. I would be interested if anyone has factual information on this.

Most of them are probably retired LE and licensed security guards. And the security guards can only carry while on the job so their permits are really 'half' permits. Being an FFL has no bearing on getting a CCW permit. Folklore says carrying lots of cash or jewels is still not considered reason to have a permit.

I don't know of a single case of an ordinary citizen getting a permit, or what was considered acceptable cause, or even if ANY permits were issued besides LE/security guards. I would be interested if anyone has factual information on this.

Retired LEO are not counted in the 1200. I know of one permit holder and he is not security.

• Like 1

Most of them are probably retired LE and licensed security guards. And the security guards can only carry while on the job so their permits are really 'half' permits.

The person I know has a full-time permit, as he is considered "on call" 24/7

I am an NRA life member and fail to comprehend how they consider us a Shall Issue state.

Dont you mean "May Issue"??

It's the same as Machineguns... STATUTORILY, they are permissbale, in that ther eis a mechanism to get a state permit to purchase, and possess a Machinegun. HOWEVER, the requirements are so ridiculous, that even thou it may be statutorily permissable, there is an EFFECTIVE ban.