intercooler

is there a public range in NORTH jersey?

north meaning sussex/morris/bergen/passaic/warren counties. Brick is just too far away, lakewood too. Wanted to go shoot my pistol tomorrow.

http://njgunforums.com/forum/index.php?/topic/18224-updated-cherry-ridge-sept-sunday-meetup-919/

Cherry Ridge meetup tomorrow morning...

Guest fee is $25

Located off Canistear Road in Highland Lakes, NJ

http://www.anjrpc.org/?cherry_ridge

Hey Chris, out of curiousity, are there any good times to go, when it is NOT crowded? I'm a newbie, and I'd rather practice without some veterans mocking me from down the line.

I'm not Chris, but, in my experience, it's hit or miss. Weekends are a mess... during the middle of the day on a weekday seems to be the best time to go... but even then you may show up to find 7 of the 10 ports occupied.

I wouldn't worry too much about anyone mocking you tho. For the most part, people kind of ignore each other unless you have an unusual gun that someone may want to talk about. Just handle your gun(s) safely, and you won't have any issues.

There is a meetup every second Tuesday at Bullet Hole - it's listed on the calendar - which usually ends up being very crowded, but the guys from the forum are a good bunch and most people that show up feel right at home.

intercooler

Take a ride up to PA Sunset hills isnt that far I use to go but there range is only 40 or 50

they put you through a safty test its no big deal they are nice people and they want you back .

Its under an hour from Lake hopatcong

I think it was 20.00 for the 1st time then 10 after that

http://sunsethill.slvrcreek.com/home.htm

we joined cherry ridge, I have my NEWBIE meeting this coming sunday

Congrats! I saw Caine answered so I left it at that. He is right about the weekends at the Bullethole. It's usually crowded and you may have to wait for a port. Cherry Ridge is nice and is my preferred range at this time. Just remember to check the range calendar here to see if any events are going on at the range you plan on using. I'm not sure if they close the particular range being used for competitions or the hunter safety courses they run.

Union Co Police open their range in Springfield to the public Sunday afternoons; search for Suburban Pistol League NJ for details. It's outdoor and not open year round, though. $6 for an hour, and it hasn't been grouded when I've gone by.

wow, thanks ianargent! i never knew about the Union County range!

I found more information here: Union County Sheriff's pistol range

wow, thanks ianargent! i never knew about the Union County range!

I found more information here: Union County Sheriff's pistol range

I have "build a target carrier for that range" on my to-do list. Length is approx 50 yds, and no target runners.

The one time I was there one the line, the range went cold because the RSO looked over at us BS'ing and yelled "any of you still shooting? No? RANGE COLD! Go get your targets." There were maybe half-a-dozen of us there, though the day was ridiculously hot and humid.

Show photo ID and FID, pay your $6, sign a waiver, get a port. Wednesday nights there's a bullseye league there.

Do they allow you to dig holes into the ground for targets? Or does it have to be a stand-up holder?

Hang from the overhead rafters, actually. Or I suppose you could have a stand-up target, but everyone there was using a hanging carrier. Rafter run parallel to the firing line, and 7 foot or so high