Blcklightning

Flooded Basement

So how is every one else doing with all this rain?

I woke up this morning and at around 6AM, after finishing my morning routine, realized that I didn't hear my sump pump running. Come to think of it I didn't hear it running last night either. :icon_eek: Sure enough I go to check the basement and there is a couple of inches of water in the entire basement! Go to check the sump pump and it's not working. :angry: Check the float switch and nothing. Double check the breakers and nothing. Pump is shot.

Well, I decided I wasn't going to work today and started researching Home Depot's website for a new Sump Pump and found one that would fit and be an easy replacement. I also determined that I was going to have to order a dumpster to throw out the 2 couches, pool table (not assembled, but in pieces laying on the floor! :( ), tons of cardboard boxes, and the many various other items that are thrown about in the basement. Called 4 places and the 4th could definitely get me one today.

Unfortunately we have used our basement mainly for junk storage for the past 3 years. Fortunately.... I guess now I will get around to throwing it all out. :blink: Luckily I'm lazy and now poor and haven't "finished" the basement yet. Two years ago I painted the floor and walls with waterproofing paint and have never actually had issues with water in the basement, obviously because the sump pump kept the water from over-flowing out of the basin and onto the floor.

So of course I went to HD around 8AM and a ton of other people have the same problem. Of course, they had just sold out of the pump I wanted. They also sold out of the next closest in design (I have a small basin and have to use a narrow pump). Of course they then only have one that costs literally 2x what the one I wanted was. :angry: I then spend the next 15 minutes trying to get the other pieces I may need to replace the pump because they are also sold out of the type of check-valve that I wanted. In the end I didn't use any of the new pieces and was able salvage the old valve. :facepalm:

It took no more than 7 minutes to replace the pump and it works great(1Hp motor)! Now waiting for the dumpster, which should be here any minute, so that I can start emptying/ drying out the basement. Yay... :facepalm:

How is everyone else this morning?

Ouch sorry to hear that. May I suggest going and buying the sump pump you were looking at anyways. I keep a spare one on hand, for how much they cost vs. how much damage would cost I just keep the spare handy so I can swap it out real quick. I have been wanting to waterproof this house ever since I started dating my now fiance, but that costs money. Our next step is to have the drive way repaved and graded as it collects water right up against the house which is not helping the situation and then eventually have the basement floor redone. If nothing else you got a day home from work :icon_mrgreen:

So as if the other crap wasn't bad enough today, I also blew a main hydraulic line on my tractor. I was using the pallet forks on my tractor to move stuff from the basement to the dumpster when the line blew a hole for no reason. Now my tractor is down with firewood season starting and wood needing to be moved. :angry:

Ouch sorry to hear that. May I suggest going and buying the sump pump you were looking at anyways. I keep a spare one on hand, for how much they cost vs. how much damage would cost I just keep the spare handy so I can swap it out real quick. I have been wanting to waterproof this house ever since I started dating my now fiance, but that costs money. Our next step is to have the drive way repaved and graded as it collects water right up against the house which is not helping the situation and then eventually have the basement floor redone. If nothing else you got a day home from work :icon_mrgreen:

Getting another pump is a good idea and will have to get another one before winter. I was talking to my dad today and apparently he has 4!

Things were going well and it wasn't that bad of a day home from work until the issue with the tractor ruined it. :facepalm:

This was me last spring when the snow melted and we had 3 weeks of rain. I feel your pain.

I lucked out in that the yard was flooded, but the basement was fine because the sump pump was working!

One is none, two is one, etc...

Make sure you wire 'em to work together (rather than just keeping a cold standby) because next time it might even take longer to notice it isn't running.

I'd like too, but my sump basin is only 10" x 11" x 16". I can only fit one pump in there and it has to be a narrow one.

This is the one I ended up getting: RIDGID Ridgid 1 HP Submersible Sump Pump w/Lifetime WaterSense Switch