Sign in to follow this  
DevsAdvocate

Colt Modular Carbine (CM901) breaks cover!

Link at The Truth About Guns

Defense Review Article

New system can interface with existing upper receivers, stock options, magazines (STANAG and SR-25 .308 ones), with the simple use of pins.

In short:

It looks like you can have a .308 upper with scope, .308 mag-well, and your lower receiver interface (with stock), then switch to a 5.56mm upper with a change of mag-well and upper.

No info on if you need to change buffer weights or anything.

Thoughts?

I think it is certainly interesting, however I think it is not practical for military. Just doesnt seem to me like they would have much room to carry around an extra upper and mag well for each rifle and two different calibers simply to have the ability to change rounds. Just my opinion. But the design and compatibility is really cool.

It is specifically made for the mil. They are trying to knock the 17s off the perch imo. I think they are too late. Your view of deployment is off though. I dont believe it is intended for change in the field. I believe its intended to be configured at the depot/unit level and deployed accordingly.

Agree with Shane that this might be a little too late.

Still, the design looks pretty slick. As nice as barrel swapping is, upper swapping is even easier/more peace of mind. Should be interesting to see how this measures up for 'GIF' as it seems that race is more open than the SOCOM one.

I am just wondering, how is this different from the AR 15 platform as it is...

You can still swap the uppers now. =) Granted, you cant go 223 to 308 in the same lower... but other calibers yes.

I agree with this. It seems like the only advantage is being able to swap out the mag wells. And I would have to imagine that it would simply be cheaper to have AR's built in .308 than to go with this system, I cant imagine that this would be cost effective for the simple benefit of swapping out mag wells.

And that's the whole point why I think Shane, and I in agreement, think this is too little too late. A platform like this is built for certain commands, not the average grunt. I think you're on the money with the point that a general force, like the infantry or military as a whole, would simplify the process and just get a rifle in 5.56 or 7.62NATO.

But for certain commands where discretion is 99% of the mission, being able to utilize a round that would disappear into the landscape-- and then still revert to blue-ammo has it uses... as people could imagine, weapons used are dictated by the mission itself-- so, flexibility is paramount.

Still, I think the niche is comfortably filled right now, and I would be surprised if that changed (unless something happens in the 11th hour).

I still just dont really see how its terribly convenient. I mean as stated, they will not be changing out the uppers on the fly. So for the money, because I cant imagine this is cheap, why not just keep two rifles at the ready? One in .308, one in 5.56. Wont take up much more room, and this way if something goes wrong with the lower, you STILL have another rifle to use. To me this seems to have much more novelty than practical use.

This is Colt desperately trying to retain relevant..especially since they have reduced Civilian sales to a trickle, and pissed off Most of the population who arent overly impressed by a Pony Engraved on the side.