Downr@nge

Sig Sauer P226 owners. Hows the finish holding up for you?

Reason I ask is because yesterday I was watching two YouTube bids where guys were complaining about the finished being so easily scratched and coming off so easily. Has this been the case for you guys with your P226's or is this an oddity for these guys that made the vids?

I have a P226, but it's a stainless one. I do have other Sigs with the Nitron finish and I haven't noticed anything unusual or untold in the finish wear, and at least two of those have seen some significant holster time.

The Internet (and by extension You Tube) is a two-edged sword. While it is an unparalleled source of information, it gives a venue to any yahoo to vent about anything. Often what they have experienced is a normal condition or the total opposite, an anomaly. But because of the exposure it now brands all similar products with the same "mark of shame".

Finishes wear, that's a fact of life. Some finishes are more resistant to wear, but may not be as corrosion-proof. Others may offer lubricity to finished parts, but not wear as well. Any finish is a compromise of the properties we, and more importantly, the gun manufacturers, think a gun finish should have.

Without seeing the video, or caring to, I'd say, don't worry about a non-issue. If it was a major problem, you'd have heard about it from multiple sources and the manufacturer would be doing something to remedy the situation.

JMHO / YMMV

Adios,

Pizza Bob

My P226 Equinox is holding up fine. No wear at all, but mine sees no holster time and is well cared for. It's about 2 years old, looks like new with a little over 2K rounds through it.

It's in .40 S&W, and I have not shot a .40S&W that I like better than it. It's an awesome shooter and I highly recommend it.

My P226 Equinox is holding up fine. No wear at all, but mine sees no holster time and is well cared for. It's about 2 years old, looks like new with a little over 2K rounds through it.

It's in .40 S&W, and I have not shot a .40S&W that I like better than it. It's an awesome shooter and I highly recommend it.

Yeah right, that thing never ever sees the range or ammo! You have a safe queen there papi.

Yeah right, that thing never ever sees the range or ammo! You have a safe queen there papi.

Dude - that gun has seen more range time than any of the guns you're brought to BH at the Tues. night shoot including your Glocks. You're too busy jawing away! Got you there Bro!! :lol:

Hey Folks,

I have one of the older generation Sig P226s from the early nineties. It's got the old pressed steel slide, and the finish is still very good on it with some light wear on the high points from holster carry. I bought a P229 for off duty carry at the same time. The P229s came with the newer(current) style CNC stainless slides, and the finish on it was very poor comparatively. I ultimately sold that pistol a few years later, as it was one issue after another for me basically related to the finish of the weapon, and possibly my body chemistry. First the grip screws rusted; I swapped them out with titanium coated deals. Then the trigger would get surface rust; swapped that out with a short reset trigger from Scott McDougall and Associates. Then the slide(the stainless steel slide) started getting surface rust on the finish. I ended up having the black finish polished off and the slide polished to close the pores. Then the extractor started doing the same thing. same deal. Once I finally got the gun to stop rusting from daily carry, the blued steel mags started...I got fed up and sold it, but could have probably saved myself a bunch of heartache with having it refinished in a quality finish from someone like Robar or Birdsong at the onset...I should also mention that I don't abuse my weapons; I clean them religiously and often, and try to use good protective finishes like BC Sheath and Sentry Solutions Marine Rag. It didn't help with the Sig, and it was the only carry pistol I've ever had these issues with...

I hope this helps...

Respectfully,

Harry