Tosser

Which Economy 1911...

So what say the peanut gallery about 1911s....

I want a 1911(new not used) and want to spend less than $900. Preferably one that I do not need to send out once I get it to run right. Rails are cool. Single Stacks only.

I am thinking Springfield Armory GI?

I have also heard that the Para Ordnance are good to go?

Guest HuntingPaper

I bought a STI Spartan from www.dawsonprecision.com for 658. Great gun!!

Which would be what? I am totally ignorant to 1911s. I'm used to buy a glock or XD and run with it.

Its little things that make the gun more convenient to operate. The ejection port is lower (ejecting casings wont obstruct your view as much, a better feed ramp ( ammo feeds better), serrated slide ( gives you better grip when pulling on the slide).

Basically the GI is the first model that was given to the troops, after using it those were the modifications the men suggested which improved the pistol design.

If you want somethign authentic to what was first issued in WW1 go with that.. if you want something that was used in ww2 go with the mil spec. I have the mil spec parkerized finish and i love it...but part of me wishes i went with the loaded model which is the next step up in the SA line.

Buy mine, i'll get the loaded and we'll both be happy. HAHA

the springfield GI 45 is a direct copy of WWII issue 45s. tiny, useless sites are the main drawback. i think the mil spec version has modern 3 dot, maybe plastic grips also, compared to the wood of the GI 45.

I maybe wrong on my history timelines but you are correct the gi issue model has smaller 3 dot sights in addition to the other things i highlighted.

I don't have permits in hand so I'm just "window shopping" right now. Does the GI and/or Mil-Spec run out of the box? I hear horror stories about 1911's being jamomatics with hard use. Any other options out there than SA?

I don't have permits in hand so I'm just "window shopping" right now. Does the GI and/or Mil-Spec run out of the box? I hear horror stories about 1911's being jamomatics with hard use. Any other options out there than SA?

once in a while you will see one that has problems out of the box and that goes for all manufactures. you just need to see what fits your budget and go for it.. the 1911 platform is awsome and their is a ton of stuff and 1911's available it is hard to absorb it all in a short time period..the platform has a 100 year jump on you.. :icon_lol:

Guest HuntingPaper

You can buy the Spartan from the Dawson Precision website and have it send to TJ Sporting Arms while you file in fpr permits. Il bring my Spartan the 20th so you can try it, if you haven't bought yet...Spartan_Det2.jpg

I constantly have this argument with myself and the three I shop are Rock Island Tactical ($450), STI Spartan ($650), and the Taurus Pt1911 ($550) and i would buy them in that order.

The RIA Tactical comes with all the goodies (ambi safety, skeleton trigger and hammer, wide trigger well, beveled ejection port, sloped combat sights) that the Taurus and STT come with, for alot less money. Leaving you a couple hundred to by ammo to shoot up and practice with.

Dont cheap on a 1911. Ammo costs way more, and will always cost more. May as well make that ammo worth it and put it through a nicer gun. With the $900 ceiling you can get a S&W 1911 which is what I would suggest. I have the pro series which is a little higher up than your budget (1150) but its AWESOME. Plus, S&W has the best customer service out there, hands down. Not that you'll need it or anything, there guns are awesome.

Better question is... what is the intended use of the gun? Yes, dont cheap out... but I would put a cheap STI Spartan against any standard 1911 out there, Smith, Kimber, Sig, etc.

Once you get into the pro stuff... then it becomes a difference.

I would put an STI Spartan against any 1911 for the casual shooter/competitor.

Better question is... what is the intended use of the gun? Yes, dont cheap out... but I would put a cheap STI Spartan against any standard 1911 out there, Smith, Kimber, Sig, etc.

Once you get into the pro stuff... then it becomes a difference.

I would put an STI Spartan against any 1911 for the casual shooter/competitor.

Yeah, what Maks said.