The_Matrix

Pictures of AK's

Okay, so then why don't you own an "updated AK"?

Or why don't you even like them, as they ARE BETTER than traditional AKs.

Wow, you are taking this very personally lol. I dont own an updated AK because the goals for my firearm collection are not %100 SHTF or anything. I own guns because I like them, I own guns because I appreciate their historical value, I own some guns just because I can. This is why I will pay extra for a milled reciever AK and get no benifit in return other than knowing that I have a type 3 milled reciever AK which was the last and best milled reciever made before Izhevsk figgured out a way to mass produce the stamped AKM.

While you worry about rails and such on an AK, I worry about other things, like how the lightening cuts on my milled are done with end mills vs the horizontal key cutters that were originally used(which makes me sad :().

While I make funny comments about removing rails etc, it is because to me it would be like buying a springfield '03 and putting a tri-rail on it. There is historical collectability in certain AK types and putting rails on them is icky.

And if you read up on the history of it, you too will realize how historical this arm really is and how rifles like the "super awesome" M14 (dont get me wrong, they are awesome, the bureaucracy is retarded though)are dinosaurs that demonstrate the stupidity and stubborness of western arms technology.

Oh, and as a footnote: Yes, a properly set up AK with rails and tacticool stuff is "better". But its not original. An m1 garand with an acog is "better", too.....

Plus, I think that the "art" of shooting iron sights is lost. It seems like nobody uses them anymore or can REALLY shoot well with them. This also contributes to my rejection of optics on an AK. This is why I dont own an updated AK. I wont own one if I dont want one, theres no reason to. SHTF? I'm great with irons because I practice them. I also dont get why you think I should own everything that I speak against. You have told me I need to own taurus, ruger, and now a "modern" AK. Why do I "need" to own stuff I dont want? I dont ever ask you why you dont own something in particular. If you want want a soviet gun, thats fine, its your choice.

its your choice.

I think we could have just ended the debate with this. We don't criticize each other for our taste in music, right? So why do it about our taste in firearms. It's pure opinion, it's really hard to dispute that one is "better" than the other. I'm sure as hell that Glenn could kick my a** in accuracy with irons than I could with my new reflex sight. So who the hell cares, we're all here to have fun. Let's try to keep the dick-swinging to a minimum.

I think we could have just ended the debate with this. We don't criticize each other for our taste in music, right? So why do it about our taste in firearms. It's pure opinion, it's really hard to dispute that one is "better" than the other. I'm sure as hell that Glenn could kick my a** in accuracy with irons than I could with my new reflex sight. So who the hell cares, we're all here to have fun. Let's try to keep the dick-swinging to a minimum.

I don't think it was dick-swinging so much as RayRay being RayRay. No harm intended. No harm done.

the only part that I disagree with is that it is hard to dispute which is "better".. I think that if you have a specific task at hand "running and shooting a short course" "clearing a one bedroom apartment in an urban area" "shooting a deer at 200 yards" there ARE specific guns AND setups that do each task better than others.. gun are lighter.. or have more power.. or are more accurate.. or allow for utilizing specific accessories for specific tasks...

not really arguing as EVERYONE is entitled to use whatever setup they want.. but a lightweight AR15 IS better for shooting a small rifle course when compared to a giant over under shotgun.. now not that there is anything wrong with an over under shotgun.. but it is just not ideal in that setting..

since I normally move and shoot with my carbines... having the lightest hardest hitting system is most desirable.. that is why I ended up ditching that rail.. it was not even so much the weight.. as it really wasn't THAT heavy.. but the setup I switched to is far more ergonomic, and still lighter, faster, and every bit as reliable..

I agree there is room for personal preference.. but there is definitely a "better"..

I understand you alot more now Glenn, thanks for the response. We're just different shooters with different wants and needs.

BTW, I didn't mean take an all original AK and tacticool it out. I just meant building one from scratch and "upgrading" it with optics, grips, sights, or lights.

since I normally move and shoot with my carbines... having the lightest hardest hitting system is most desirable.. that is why I ended up ditching that rail.. it was not even so much the weight.. as it really wasn't THAT heavy.. but the setup I switched to is far more ergonomic, and still lighter, faster, and every bit as reliable..

I have been considering moving towards a similar setup you have. Long story short, I'm not going to use the vertical foregrip. I gook it off to save some weight up front. Since I don't have my optics mounted up front yet, and I'm not using the rail for anything else....it is just added weight. I also want to EVENTUALLY get an Ultimak gas tube w/ rail. With my current mount, I'm going to need a cheek riser. That's just more weight, plus the extra weight from the side mount I have. If I switched to a setup similar to yours, I would be saving weight from the quad rail, cheek riser, and side mount.....that adds up.

I agree there is room for personal preference.. but there is definitely a "better"..

I wasn't referring to which platform of gun, I was referring to a specific gun with different styles. My Saiga vs. Glenn's...Polish milled? The only "performance" difference between the two guns is that mine has an optic on top. However, Glenn has more experience shooting his gun, so that's basically a moot point.

saiga762finalvlad.JPG

saiga762finalvlad2.JPG

saiga762finalvlad3.JPG

saiga762finalvlad4.JPG

Saiga 7.62x39 current setup

Ace Stock

Ace Internal Block

Dinzag Tapco G2 FCG

Hogue Grip

Tromix Bolt On Charging Handle

Surefire 15 Round Magazine

Kvar Lower Handguard

CSS Lower Handguard Retainer

Ultimak Gas Tube

Vltor Quick Release Flashlight Mount

Surefire G2

Aimpoint H1

saigatara2.jpg

standard conversion.. current setup

Saiga 5.45x39

AK Gas tube

Bolt on lower retainer

Tapco wood

Tapco G2

cleaned and refinished whole gun..

saiga12finalvlad.JPG

Saiga 12 current setup

polished and reprofiled bolt

Otherwise left in factory configuration to comply with NJ semi-automatic shotgun laws..

saiga.jpg

Saiga 7.62x39 old setup

Ace Internal Block

Ace Stock

Hogue Pistol Grip

Tapco FCG

Surefire Magazine (15rd I live in NJ)

Ultimak Hand Guard

Magpul AFG

Viking Tactics G2 Light Mount

Surefire G2

Viking Tactics Low Profile Swivel Mount With Quick Release

Ultimak Gas Tube

Aimpoint H1

kvar1hr7.jpg

Saiga 223 sold

Kvar Stock

Tapco FCG

Tapco Saw Pistol Grip

Tapco Hand Guard (with covered rail)

Dinzag Lower Hand Guard Retainer

AK Gas Tube

vladtepes - I LOVE the 1st and 2nd from the bottom! Thanks for posting and sharing the config. I can use that as a guide to build my AK. You just threw me off course now that I am lusting for the AK ;-). I was intending to get a shotgun after my AR build. But I plan on competing a 3-gun match so the shotgun is hard to drop. Plus shotgun is good "in-home" defense. But the AK has it's coolness! I'm more confused or torn than ever! LOL

vladtepes - I LOVE the 1st and 2nd from the bottom! Thanks for posting and sharing the config. I can use that as a guide to build my AK. You just threw me off course now that I am lusting for the AK ;-). I was intending to get a shotgun after my AR build. But I plan on competing a 3-gun match so the shotgun is hard to drop. Plus shotgun is good "in-home" defense. But the AK has it's coolness! I'm more confused or torn than ever! LOL

Have both. Get a Saiga 12.

• Like 1

thanks! as pointed out.. do a Saiga 12.. they are a blast.. a 12 gauge shotgun in AK action? how can you go wrong!

Good call! Its a shame we cant have a pistol grip for this. But that's another story. I'll look into the Saiga 12

just one word of caution.. the gun is designed to run HEAVY loads..

off the shelf it is not going to run light target loads.. birdshot.. etc.. but you CAN tune the hell out of the gun so that it will cycle all ammo reliably.. but besides that I think it is completely badass..

What exactly are you going to do with the stock? Please tell me you're going to get a wood pistol grip, and re-finish all the wood with a red tint.

P.S. You can do your own Krebs safety with a dremel. That's something I plan on doing with my Saiga someday.

470 rounds down the pipe of the WASR-10. Just so you guys know I'm not too familiar with the ins and outs of AKs but it was easy to use. I had 1 double feed in the first magazine and the rest of the day was great.

What it needs:

New sights: Hard to pick up the post front sight when running aroud and moving.

New Furniture: This furniture looks beat and it's just rough looking. Not to mention ugly and uncomfortable.

New Krebs Safety: Can't hold the bolt open, and can't use it as a lefty at all. Although any safety on an AK is righty only.

if you want a really fast sight system get an ultimak gas tube.. and a reasonably priced red dot (primary arms or something? that will still co-witness)

I have tried several things and I find nothing faster than my ultimak aimpoint combo..

Thanks Anthony, I'll google that.

Another thing I never knew what that they get hot! Especially shooting off 70 rounds in rapid fire. Gloves are a must if your planning on using one in a defensive (or offenive?!?) situation.

just curious where are ya shooting at that lets run and gun let alone get hot like that? i bet pa?

private land.. deep south jersey....

and yes Ray I wear gloves when I shoot.. I have found that cheap mechanix gloves from like autozone work great..