siderman

Active military shortcut for FPID &PP?

Asking this for my son. Does active military need to go thru the same drawn out process to get legal in NJ or is there some kind of waiver/shortcut? Its especially difficult for him as he's not gonna be around to pick up the paperwork till after deployment next summer but will be here for a week or so soon. Which brings up another point- how long will the police hold the paperwork to be picked up before it is cancelled out? Weeks, months? Is it up to the Chiefs discretion?

When I was active duty I went to get a FID card. I brought to the police station a certified copy of my forms stating that I had a top secret clearance. They still made me do the BS background check, which I just laughed at. I can't fart without uncle sam knowing. To purchase anything out of state, all he needs is a copy of his orders. With his orders, he is considered a resident of that state, IIRC

I had the same experience, Eric-- with the SSBI proof, to include the background check the very same PD had ran years earlier.

As for being active duty, yea, as noted, just needs a copy of his orders (and whatever else is required by his unit's/post commander's SOP-- but these aren't necessarily "laws"... like if he were to live on post, he might have to keep it locked up in the armory, etc). And if/when he brings them back to NJ, they need to be compliant to NJ's laws. Again though, its important he knows the SOP for his specific command, as I've heard things have changed at different places in the wake of the Hood shooting.

Are you guys saying that if he buys a gun out of state he can bring it back to NJ ? Even tho he is technically a NJ resident, he wont need a FPID card as long as the gun is NJ compliant? Sure dont sound like something NJ would allow.I thought all out of state purchases had to go thru FFL'S and I'm sure the NJ FFL wants to see that card.

He can purchase with his orders because he is a legal resident of the sate at the time of purchase. When he returns to NJ, he can bring them because he already owns them.

The only time a ffl needs to get involved with out of state deals is when you in NJ and purchasing from PA and thats only on handguns. He can go to PA and show is FID card and buy a long gun. I do think he'll need an FID when he returns.

Are you guys saying that if he buys a gun out of state he can bring it back to NJ ? Even tho he is technically a NJ resident, he wont need a FPID card as long as the gun is NJ compliant? Sure dont sound like something NJ would allow.I thought all out of state purchases had to go thru FFL'S and I'm sure the NJ FFL wants to see that card.

While on active duty you are considered a resident of the state you are stationed in. He can buy a gun (long or hand) directly from a FFL in another state with his military ID and a copy of his orders as that will fulfill the requirements for proof of residency of that state. Any firearm legally bought outside of NJ that is also NJ compliant can be moved into the state. For example I just moved from Colorado, I legally brought my guns that I purchased legally there with me when I moved here. It would be the same thing for your son as he can legally buy the guns in the state he is stationed in. You do have to keep in mind not all gun stores know all the laws, so some might not want to sell him a firearm, just go to a more informed store if that happens. Hope this clarifies what the others have already said.

When I was active duty I went to get a FID card. I brought to the police station a certified copy of my forms stating that I had a top secret clearance. They still made me do the BS background check, which I just laughed at. I can't fart without uncle sam knowing. To purchase anything out of state, all he needs is a copy of his orders. With his orders, he is considered a resident of that state, IIRC

No, the State of NJ Made you do the BS background Check. The Individual department has NO SAY in whether you do or you dont.

Found this excerpt right here on this forum.

Every example requires a FPID. I'm sure Nj will see him as a resident. His drivers license,home address and voter ID are all NJ. I'm not questioning his ability to buy out of state just how NJ will recognize the firearms.Besides gonna need the card to purchase ammo anyway back in NJ.

1. Handgun purchases by

....A. NJ resident from

........(1) NJ dealer = NICS check with a P2P and Photo ID

........(2) NJ resident = face to face with a P2P with Photo ID suggested

........(3) Out-of-state dealer = must be transferred through NJ dealer - Refer 1A(1)

........(4) Out-of-state resident = must be transferred through NJ dealer - Refer 1A(1)

....B. Out-of-state resident from

........(1) NJ dealer = must be transferred through buyer's home state dealer

........(2) NJ resident = must be transferred through buyer's home state dealer

2. Long gun purchases by

....A. NJ resident from

........(1) NJ dealer = NICS check with a FPID, COE and Photo ID

........(2) NJ resident = face to face with a FPID, COE with Photo ID suggested

........(3) Out-of-state dealer = NICS check with a FPID, COE and Photo ID

........(4) Out-of-state resident = must be transferred through

............a. NJ dealer = NICS check with a FPID, COE and Photo ID or

............b. Out-of-state dealer = NICS check with a FPID, COE and Photo ID

....B. Non-resident from

........(1) NJ dealer = NICS check with a FPID, COE and Photo ID

........(2) NJ resident = must be transferred through

............a. NJ dealer = NICS check with a FPID, COE and Photo ID or

............b. Out-of-state dealer = consult buyer's home state la from this forum:

Every example requires a FPID. I'm sure Nj will see him as a resident.

I know I'll reiterate what others have said but I'll relate it in a slightly different way. The rules are different for military personnel. I will relate my own experiences. I am a NJ resident. I get assigned to Fort Huachuca (you know I've been there because I know how to spell it). I go to a FFL in AZ with my orders assigning me to Huachuca. The FFL sells me guns meeting Federal and AZ criteria (last i looked AZ firearms law was a few short paragraphs)and treats the transaction as I were an AZ resident listing my Ft Huachuca address. NJ laws and the fact I'm a NJ resident plays no part in the transaction. No permits or NJFID required. As the guns were legally purchased in AZ, I can bring them back to NJ and NJ has nothing to say about it period. Its like I was a civilian and acquired the guns legally in another state and moved to NJ.

• Like 1

Every example requires a FPID. I'm sure Nj will see him as a resident.

I know I'll reiterate what others have said but I'll relate it in a slightly different way. The rules are different for military personnel. I will relate my own experiences. I am a NJ resident. I get assigned to Fort Huachuca (you know I've been there because I know how to spell it). I go to a FFL in AZ with my orders assigning me to Huachuca. The FFL sells me guns meeting Federal and AZ criteria (last i looked AZ firearms law was a few short paragraphs)and treats the transaction as I were an AZ resident listing my Ft Huachuca address. NJ laws and the fact I'm a NJ resident plays no part in the transaction. No permits or NJFID required. As the guns were legally purchased in AZ, I can bring them back to NJ and NJ has nothing to say about it period. Its like I was a civilian and acquired the guns legally in another state and moved to NJ.

+1

http://www.atf.gov/firearms/faq/unlicensed-persons.html#state-residency

Here's what the government has to say on the issue.

The State of residence is the State in which an individual is present; the individual also must have an intention of making a home in that State. A member of the Armed Forces on active duty is a resident of the State in which his or her permanent duty station is located. If a member of the Armed Forces maintains a home in one State and the member’s permanent duty station is in a nearby State to which he or she commutes each day, then the member has two States of residence and may purchase a firearm in either the State where the duty station is located or the State where the home is maintained. An alien who is legally in the United States is considered to be a resident of a State only if the alien is residing in that State and has resided in that State continuously for a period of at least 90 days prior to the date of sale of the firearm. See also Item 5, “Sales to Aliens in the United States,” in the General Information section of this publication.

[18 U.S.C. 921(B), 922(a) (3), and 922(B)(3), 27 CFR 478.11]

Thanks,thats what I was lookin for- THE LAW. Now that that appears cleared up let me expand on some peripheal concerns. 1)You now are a resident of NJ and you got the guns legally out of state without a FPID, how do you get ammo? 2)playing devils advocate,say you get pulled over for a broken brake light on the way home from the range. Cop sees your locked pistol & rifle cases and asks you for your FPID. What happens then? You gonna show him the sales receipt that hopefully you have with you and hope this particular officer is fully knowledgable about all the laws? Man, you can go nuts in this state with all the what ifs!

Thanks,thats what I was lookin for- THE LAW. Now that that appears cleared up let me expand on some peripheal concerns. 1)You now are a resident of NJ and you got the guns legally out of state without a FPID, how do you get ammo? 2)playing devils advocate,say you get pulled over for a broken brake light on the way home from the range. Cop sees your locked pistol & rifle cases and asks you for your FPID. What happens then? You gonna show him the sales receipt that hopefully you have with you and hope this particular officer is fully knowledgable about all the laws? Man, you can go nuts in this state with all the what ifs!

1) If they are handguns the only way you can buy ammo is either online or go out of state. It is legal to buy long gun ammo without a FPID, if the store won't sell it to you that is their own policy, so screw them go shop some where that follows the actual law.

2)The FPID is a firearms PURCHASER ID only. You do not have to have it to own firearms. If a cop asks for it you tell them that you do not need it, if they push the issue then make them look bad for not know the law in front of their superiors. Of course this is NJ, so there is a chance of you having a huge hassle and a huge attorneys fee to do this.

He should just grab his ankles like everyone else in this state and get his FPID when he gets here.

Right- the FPID is just a purchase card,not an ownership card. Sometimes you forget the obvious when trying to see thru all the deep dark nooks and crannys of our absurd laws. But you are right, just get it asap and make all the BS a little easier to deal with.

Well, whatever the case, as a military member living in NJ, there are certainly no shortcuts if you want to get your FPID. In fact, it would appear to be more difficult. Local PD don't know what to do if you don't have a NJ drivers license. State PD tells you you have to go through the local PD. So good luck applying! I have since given up and buy my ammo out of state or online. I buy all my guns back home in a free state as it is. I am seriously considering just moving to PA when my lease is up to avoid all the NJ crap.

Side note. I had a handgun stolen from me (since recovered) and the officer seemed more interested in questioning me and how I could have gun without a FPID, then having any concern that a handgun was stolen!

Hey Guys,

I got mine while I was still on Active Duty. I came home on Leave before a float, and filled out the application and paperwork. I went back to Calif, and subsequently went out on a WestPac. As our six month deployment was ending, I got a letter from my Dad informing my paperwork was finally done. The PD had no issue holding it for me, and I just picked everything up on my next Leave. Yeah, Secret security clearance at the time, too. I bought plenty of stuff in Calif at the time, and never had an issue. They did have a fifteen day waiting period though...

Respectfully,

Harry

Well that is some good information to know. I am currently stationed in Montana and was wondering about what I do about the guns that I bought out here.

What are you wondering about? If they are NJ legal, bring them with you to NJ. However, no firearm that violates NJ assault weapon bans must be brought into NJ. This includes magazines with capacities larger than 15, semi-auto shotguns with more than 6 in the tube, too many evil features on your rifles, etc. If you have specific questions about the legality of a specific firearm, post a new thread about it.

There is no registration or "owner ID" requirement for firearms purchased legally in a different state. You do not need a Firearms PURCHASER ID to own a firearm in NJ. You do not need to register any firearm, this is completely optional and in my opinion a very bad idea. This is not to say you shouldn't get a purchaser ID as most street cops don't know the law and see a FPID as an ownership ID. It is not a legal requirement though.

You should open a new thread with your concerns :)

Hello all, I'm active Army and about to move (PCS) to Ft. Dix. I have pistols, rifles, and AR15s. What do I need to do? Can I bring in the ARs? Can I shot the ARs in NJ? I will live off post. Thank you.

You must make sure that the guns are compatible with NJ laws, IE magazine capacity, collapsible stock, flash hider, etc.

ETA: Let us know what you have and we'll give you the best advice we can.

If you're not comfortable putting your info on your collection out on public space, feel free to PM an admin/mod, and one of us can point you in the right direction [of who to contact with more specific questions].

X2

X2

My hand guns are Glocks, 1911s, one HK USP, and one Browning .22.

My long guns that I'm not worried about are a Ruger 10/22, .22 bolt action, and pump shot gun.

I have one AR-15 A1, and I'm about to purchase a Colt LE6920 M4 or equivalent, and two stripped lowers. These are what I'm worried about.

I'm trying to sell the DPMS upper.

001-4.jpg

Tragically everything I just listed was lost in a boating accident.

The 6920 will be fine as long as you perm attach a Brake and pin the stock. That Colt is No go as i'm assuming it is marked "Colt AR-15" which makes it a Banned weapon by name. Even so, I would try to find someplace to put it in storage outside of NJ, just because it looks like a REALLY Nice Retro A1, and I'd hate to see you have to butcher it by cutting off the bayo Lug, and changing that 3-prong

The 6920 will be fine as long as you perm attach a Brake and pin the stock. That Colt is No go as i'm assuming it is marked "Colt AR-15" which makes it a Banned weapon by name. Even so, I would try to find someplace to put it in storage outside of NJ, just because it looks like a REALLY Nice Retro A1, and I'd hate to see you have to butcher it by cutting off the bayo Lug, and changing that 3-prong

+1 to the above

and

well good thing all of those guns that would be illegal here were just lost in a tragic boating accident and you won't have to deal with the crazy NJ laws.

Can you please decipher, "as long as you perm attach a Brake and pin the stock."

Can you please decipher, "as long as you perm attach a Brake and pin the stock."

Flash suppressors are a no-go here in NJ, but muzzle brakes are okay, as long as they're permanently attached to the barrel with a weld. Adjustable stocks are also verboten, and have to be permanently pinned into a single length.

Flash suppressors are a no-go here in NJ, but muzzle brakes are okay, as long as they're permanently attached to the barrel with a weld. Adjustable stocks are also verboten, and have to be permanently pinned into a single length.

Thanks, sounds like I'm leaving my ARs at my parent's house. Do I have to register my hand and long guns, or do any paper work to have these guns in a residence and transport back and forth to ranges?

There is no mandatory registration of firearms legally acquired in another state.

There is a voluntary registration process, but you can imagine how we feel about that, and what our advice to you is regarding it.

I will recommend that you go through the FID card process. Although it isn't mandatory, you'll need it to purchase handgun ammo at any NJ dealer, and if you shop for another gun here, no dealer will let you even handle one at the counter without presenting it.