Sign in to follow this  
totalabuse

Official deer season body count thread

Fixed it for ya. :icon_e_wink:

:icon_e_wink::icon_e_biggrin:

Didn't make it out today because I couldn't get out of work early enough. Should be able to do an all afternoon sit tomorrow.

Totalabuse, That's very cool that your wife hunts too. My wife grew up in a family were every male hunts, but never did herself. She has no interest. Your wife wasn't cold this morning? Congrats to her!

Guest megaman

So here is my story. I was out in my stand at 6. I have a bear and deer permit. I was really looking for bear. The area I hunt out in Sussex is LOADED with bear/deer/turkey/coyote/birds/etc...I was expecting to see bear, and have an elusive day with the deer as usual. I was in my spot for 6 hours. I had 1 doe run by at 9. Then came down off the stand at 10 and walked a bit because I was freezing. Saw 4 does. Watched them for a bit ad they ran down a hill. Then at noonish, I saw some of the other guys coming in.

Time to regroup and eat our chilli prepared by our camp cook.

We drove over to the cabin area on the other side of the hill and set up on a brook over a hill and down a hill.

So here I am. 5 guys posted every 100 yards or so. 2 guys at the top of the hill pushing. I am using 3in copper sabots out of the 11-87 so I suggest I go further down by the creek because I have some serious range on these things and 100 yards is nothing for a flying slug.

Its about 2:30 now. All of a sudden 5 deer come bolting down the hill. I am looking to see antlers. The deer see me as they run down the hill and try to go around me, this way, that way...still no antlers. Then one deer stops to my left.

I see small antlers. I let one fly....flipped the deer over!

gutted out at 90lbs. Not a huge deer, but a deer nonetheless...Tomorrow I am out for bear all day with my DND and grape jelly bait pile...lol..

here is a pic of my 'young buck'...I only have 1 pic because I forgot my camera was still in video mode when was taking photos, so the gratuitous 'me holding the antlers up shot' is a video...instead you get a shot of me and a buddy pulling the deer across the forest floor back to the car, and a photo to show you what a great deer harvesting area looks like.

Guest megaman

Hearing 140ish now. Guys are still dragging them out. Sounds like it was a slow day for deer though.

Too windy. The deer were very spooked today.

Your wife wasn't cold this morning?

I don't think she had time to get cold :D

She just left to hunt our land.

Jon, if you're hunting the Grove today and want to do lunch give me a call. I'm not far away and neither is Doyle's Pour House. 6097139475-Jack

Jon, if you're hunting the Grove today and want to do lunch give me a call. I'm not far away and neither is Doyle's Pour House. 6097139475-Jack

let me know i can meet you there, do not have alot of work today but do have to keep an eye on the marina..

I have boats to shrinkwrap but the wind is holding it up..

I appreciate the offer but my father and I usually do lunch at his cabin. Trying to keep up the traditions that he had with his dad.

hey jon, on another note**

If you hear of anyone in that area that happened to find a deer camera in the field by the tower let me know the boy lost one..

What kind of cam? And where in relation to the tower? I'm currently sitting in the field to the right of tower rd.

Eta: I'm going to be doing some walking today so I'll keep an eye out.

What kind of cam? And where in relation to the tower? I'm currently sitting in the field to the right of tower rd.

Eta: I'm going to be doing some walking today so I'll keep an eye out.

I will have to ask him exactly where he had it..jon, it is not laying on the ground it was strapped to a tree...

Guest megaman

I saw 10 does. 0 bear.

One guy in our group took a shot at a bear at about 3:30. We all went and tried to track it after we heard the shot. We found the blood trail on the other side of a creek. It got dark, so we marked where we stopped. I will try to pick it up tomorrow morning.

The second mission tomorrow is to set up in a tree, and just wait by my bait pile of DND and Welch's Grape Jelly.

Found a bunch of bear **** in the area, and judging by the shrinking size of the pile, somebody in the woods has been enjoying some sweet treats...Tomorrow I will be trying to find out who...

Wish me luck...

Does anyone know what the state record is for black bear? Just saw a guy I went to high school with got a bear that was ~460 lbs gutted.

I think the N.J. state record is 747 lbs. I that know one was taken on Monday that weighed in at 661 lbs.