vladtepes

GSP Drama.. where did all the traffic come from..

so.. we go up to Shawnee this morning to do a little riding (snowboarding)...

we wrap things up around 6 at the latest.. it is roughly 3 hours from home on a good normal day.. I literally just walked in the door about 20 minutes ago..

south bound on 9 and the garden state parkway it was literally grid lock.. worse than NYC at rush hour.. worse than south bound on the parkway on 4th of July week...

anyone have any ideas why traffic was SO ridiculous tonight.. I am pretty sure we drove over 6 hours.. literally twice as long..

I wonder if it's the same drunken monkey snow plow work I hit last night - from me to BA is normally 45 minutes, I gave up after ~2hrs - all because they plowed out sections of the lanes, but left massive piles randomly, so you'd have horrible sudden merges.

I wonder if it's the same drunken monkey snow plow work I hit last night - from me to BA is normally 45 minutes, I gave up after ~2hrs - all because they plowed out sections of the lanes, but left massive piles randomly, so you'd have horrible sudden merges.

that was at least part of the problem.. I literally remember thinking.. "are you on drugs" how the hell can you do that to people.. and the way that you describe it is subtle.. imagine being careful.. traveling about 50-60mph.. and BAM out of nowhere a 5foot pile of ice and snow.. I remember thinking.. you can't be serious.. WTF are people supposed to do.. in retrospect heading up that way today was a bad idea.. it's unfortunate because we had a blast at the mountain..

that was at least part of the problem.. I literally remember thinking.. "are you on drugs" how the hell can you do that to people.. and the way that you describe it is subtle.. imagine being careful.. traveling about 50-60mph.. and BAM out of nowhere a 5foot pile of ice and snow.. I remember thinking.. you can't be serious.. WTF are people supposed to do.. in retrospect heading up that way today was a bad idea.. it's unfortunate because we had a blast at the mountain..

yup - it's good traffic was going 10mph at best. once I gave up, north bound had almost no traffic - real quick I learned to ignore the lanes and just aim for the center of the clear 1.75 lanes. there was no logic to it either - I understand the piles in certain spots, like exit ramps, but this was on perfectly straight stretches. I also understand how the weight of snow adds up quick when plowing, but please, don't let the junior guy handle major highways on their own.

Give me a shout next time you go to Shawnee. It is literally 10 minutes from my place, and I have a bunch of friends that work there. I may be able to hook you up.

max wiil be all over this..

last few years the parkway has been bad southbound, everyday at 2pm til 6pm it is just about a parking lot..

max wiil be all over this..

last few years the parkway has been bad southbound, everyday at 2pm til 6pm it is just about a parking lot..

When I'm coming down to New Gretna, if its on a Sat/Sun, I come down 539 from Allentown and avoid the Parkinglotway.

Same with going north on a Sunday.

Even though I end up facing some traffic on the Turnpike at the 7-8 exits, it's nothing like the creep crawl on the GSP.

Thats our fatass, double and triple time collecting, overpaid government snow plow operators letting us know they're not happy about what they're earning, or pissed about a 1 dollar co-pay on health insurance.

The parkway plowing was a whole big debacle, but I mostly blame it on the people who thought they could drive through the blizzard. There were MANY stuck/abandoned cars, and the plows can't just plow through them. They have to be checked then towed. Plus the GSP plow trucks weren't really "GSP Only" - they got on 1 exit, and left at another. If they had some dedicated plow trucks that plowed straight through while some others plowed exit ramps and stuff, then it would have been a lot better.

Give me a shout next time you go to Shawnee. It is literally 10 minutes from my place, and I have a bunch of friends that work there. I may be able to hook you up.

I have season passes.. but the offer is definitely appreciated! the people that work there are actually part of the reason that we ride there.. there are "better" mountains.. but the people there are always really nice... and it makes for a great overall experience... like yesterday.. it was literally packed... but with a good staff keeping things moving it all went well..

shawnee crowd control > NJ ability to control traffic

whats that tell you.. lol

I had to drive on Sunday evening from Newark Airport to south Jersey(AC area). It took me 8hr and i saw at least 20+ accidents. Most of the drivers were women in minivans!!!

On Monday morning over 50+ cars had stuck on the express lane on the GSP and the people spend the night there.

Fast forward on Wed evening it took me 5hrs from exit 127 to the Lakewood exit cause the snow plow crew

OH and to top it off.. what in the world is up with route 9.. route 9 north of me is the craziest place I have ever been in my life.. first the stores.. there was like this music store with a giant cassette tape over the door.. who uses cassette tapes? then a little further south.. I came to this area with all these guys walking around (in the middle of the night 10:00pm ish?) with long black trench coats and like top hats or something? then.. I stopped to get gas at a Wawa a little more south.. and Elvis (complete with sunglasses at night) was pumping my gas.. route 9 is quite the different place...