silentheaven

thinking about a shotgun

Hey everyone, Im going to start by saying that I have never fired a shotgun before. Im thinking about getting one within the next month or two and just looking for some recommendations on what to purchase. I dont plan on putting too much into it, maybe around 300-400. I may even try and find a decent used one. From the little bit of reading ive done I did like Mossberg a bit.

What will it be used for? Clays? Home defense? Hunting? The answer to that question will point you in the direction you ant to go (i.e. pump, over/under/autoloader, long/short barrel, slug barrel, etc)). Mossbergs aren't pretty, but they work..With the exception of Stoegers, over/unders are out of your price range. You would be able to buy a used autoloader in that range. If you look in the Classifieds, ColdSolderJoint has a beautiful Winchester autoloader that would be good for any of the intended uses. And nobody but the custom shops makes finely crafted shotguns like that any more.

Lunker hit the nail on the head. If you are looking into something for sport shooting and to just get into shotgunning you may want to look at Dick's. I picked up a basic Mossburg 20gauge for less then 200.

Hey hey hey. I think the synthetic Mossbergs are pretty. The Mossberg 500 is a very versatile tool. You can equip them for hunting, clays, or home defense. However I have my 500 set up for HD and the Remington 1100 for clays/hunting.

How about "Mossbergs are pretty in a utilitarian way"? :)

Any tool that works well is "pretty".

Old guns have that other kind of pretty too though.

My Mossy ain't "pretty" but it sure does look good (to me at least)!

Mossberg500.jpg

How do you use your safety with that grip?

I think a 500/590 or 870 will serve you well.

Keep in mind the 500/590 can't use a pistol grip and actuate the safety with out moving your hand off the grip.

.... That's a towel.

mysafety.jpg

Moot point for me anyway - They're loaded in the pipe but not in the chamber. Safety is kept off.

I dont know how you can have more than one loaded into the chamber with none in the chamber. Tube = magazine tube pipe = barrel. Such as, I keep 5 in the tube one in the pipe....

.... That's a towel.

mysafety.jpg

Moot point for me anyway - They're loaded in the pipe but not in the chamber. Safety is kept off.

:facepalm:

I'm no fudd but the safety needs to be able to be actuated easily...Do what you want just don't shoot me in the back...