Sign in to follow this  
boodabelly

Shooting Range near Edison

Greetings all,

This may have been ask many times. Many debates were formed and never ended. I am looking into joining a shooting range (obviously) that can shoot either Indoor, Outdoor or Both. I have never shot anywhere in N.J., but have shot in upstate NY, so it has been a while. I own a XD-9mm and GP100 .357 Mag. hopefully if enough shooting time is put in; I can acquire my first shotgun in the future (but not a major factor at this time). I would like to practice shooting my XD-9 and Ruger. I may or may not want to use the .357 caliber for target practice, but would like to use the .38 +P equivalent; in order to maintain a closeness in recoil.

My work schedule is not on a norm. I put in 13 hour shifts starting on the weekends and on standby during the remainder of the work week. So when it comes down to "work parties" I am on odds end. Since most of the "Work Parties" appear to take place on the weekends.

Do I have children... yes... many.. and when they are ready, they will also learn the sport. Why mention children? Everything is scheduled or planned; if I am sure that I am not needed on Tuesday for work, I may drive to the range and shoot a hundred rounds, but I will still need to be able drive back to pick up my kids from school. So distance is a factor; 30-40 minutes tops, since I have to account time spent at the range and driving to and fro.

Your recommendations are appreciated. Thank you in advance.

If you join an indoor range, you can shoot your pistols, shotgun and small caliber rifles anytime and you don't have to commit to any "work parties". I would suggest you visit a few to see what you like before plunking down your money. I think Shore Shot, in Lakewood might be within your driving distance, it is 2 minutes off Exit 89 of the GSP and many of us here shoot there. For an "occasional shooter", you can shoot and pay as you go, you do not have to buy a membership. This may be a good way to try out a few ranges to see which you like.

Bullet Hole & Belleville PBA ranges are about 30-45 minutes depending on where in Edison and the traffic. Somerset County Fish & Game is a private club but has an indoor pistol range. It's not expensive ($100/yr) but the downside is that there's a 3 month waiting period to join.

Old Bridge Rifle & Pistol Clubs is close by too, but they're expensive.

Thank you XDJohnTact, ptbr321 and deni.

I'll keep Shore Shot and BulletHole as one of my options and even arrange a day for a test drive and trial in the coming weeks.

Sorry for the additional question. Am I allowed to bring my own ammo and targets, or will I have to purchase and use their ammo and targets at their range?

Also, I am open to private ranges and hope to join one in the future, one of the problems is I read stories of ranges around Middlesex (won't say which) that all the range wants is your initial capital/payment then deny membership down the road (Not sure if this is true or not). It puts a big "Whoa" in the works. So it comes down to fellow gun owners how well do you know your private range. I never heard of the Carteret range; and Carteret is close to Edison. Wish there was one in Woodbridge... =0)

Guest schutzen-jager

somerset county fish + game is about 1/2 hour from edison - less if you are near rte # 287 - they will allow alternate services in lieu of work requirments -

The lake island rifle and pistol club in carteret is an option, but the range is limited to handguns and .22 rimfire rifles only (at least when I was a member) and no magnum loads. Also, everything was manual when I was a member, I don't know if the ports are now electronic.

edited. removed inaccurate info.

somerset county fish + game is about 1/2 hour from edison - less if you are near rte # 287 - they will allow alternate services in lieu of work requirments -

SCFGPA does not allow +P or magnum rounds on the pistol range.

Guest schutzen-jager

SCFGPA does not allow +P or magnum rounds on the pistol range.

can be used in the 100 yard tunnel if you just have to shoot them -

Guest schutzen-jager

Correct, but 100yds is pretty darn tough for a revolver without optics :icon_razz:

no problem hitting 12" paper plates at that distance w/irons , .38 , .357 , 9mm , or 45acp - just set targets low to allow for holdover -

There are no work requirements at Lake Island Club but if you do work for them, you get off on the membership fee.

Sorry, It has been 11 years or longer, so I don't remember the exact details. I remember having to pay full membership, but got a discount by putting in some work. I actually put together their website as part of my work. I handed it off to Robin when I left the club.

To the OP, you need to be a member of the NRA to join lake island.

If you are referring to OBRPC as the private range in Middlesex county that does not return your down payment that is not rue. You do not pay dues or capital until you are voted into the club. There might be a application fee. Also OBRPC has work parties which can reduce the annual dues considerably. The work parties can be helping run a match and those are most days of the week so not limited to weekends.

Thank you to all that have replied.

I do belong to the NRA and there are a lot of good choices that have been said.

I will have to definite take some time during the next couple of weeks to try and visit each of the locations.

Shore Shot and Bullet Hole & Belleville PBA ranges sounds like a good start to curb any itch.

Lake Island Club sounds nice as well as SCFGPA. John Fox do you have any additional information pertaining to Lake Island Club?

OBRPC seems like something in the future.

Does any of these clubs require a sponsorship? if so, how can I get sponsored.