Sign in to follow this  
jerseydave

First Handgun

I have a uncle on the police force who has a whole bunch of pistols. I didnt really want to ask him what he thinks because I kno hes going to point me in the glock direction. Not saying that glock is bad or anything, im thinking about getting one. i just dont want to be pointed in one direction without seeing what else is out there for me. Ill ask him to bring out what hes got, i know he has a different variety..

Go to you local gun shops, and tell them that you are looking for a handgun. Let them know you want it in .45acp, and just want to get a feel for as many as possible. Nit pick each and every one as much as possible, you will find something that feels great.

Go to you local gun shops, and tell them that you are looking for a handgun. Let them know you want it in .45acp, and just want to get a feel for as many as possible. Nit pick each and every one as much as possible, you will find something that feels great.

Ive gone to a couple shops in my local area, its just hard hard to make up my mind because there are alot that I like. The thing is I havent shot alot of them. Ive only shot some of them. So Im going to have to get out there and start shooting a variety of pistols. which i have access to for free threw a family member. Will be out there this week on my day off. I have some time because im wating for my permits to come in.

I suggest a full size gun for home defense and range use. You may want to start off with a 9mm since ammo will be about half the cost of .45 ACP. Decide if you want a metal or polymer frame. Do you want striker fire (no exposed hammer) or exposed hammer? An all metal gun is going to soak up recoil better than plastic. I have a Sig P226 in 40 S&W that shoots sweet with less recoil than some 9mm's I have shot.

All of the top manufacturers make nice guns, Springfield Armory, Glock, Sig Saurer, S&W, Baretta, etc. Get the gun that fits you well and you really like even if it's more than you want to spend. You'll only wind up getting it anyway at some point if you really enjoy the sport.

Shore Shot rents handguns so you can try different models before you buy.

• Like 1

Get a line up of what pistols you find aesthetically appeasing, make it long! Narrow the search based on reliability and function. Then get your hands on them! get a feel what what feels good in your hand. Then try and shoot them. Try and not put a max price on what you want, my friend found a browning hi-power he says fits like a glove yet refuses to buy it because its 200 over his budget, why not get something that you really like?

Like said above, the only issue with ammo right now is price. Your budget should include the pistol + ammo. You will with out doubt spend the most $$ on ammo, so if your giving yourself a budget from the get go, i would say find a affordable caliber first. I would love a pistol with 45acp caliber, but i couldn't afford to shoot it enough to justify owning. For 20 bucks i can unload 100rds of 9mm, a 45 would be around $50 per 100. (same brand ammo)I also prefer to have a nice stock of ammo too, i never buy ammo at the range(way too expensive)

Go to a meetup and shoot everyone's, then go from there ;)

+1.

Go make some friends and go shoot. =) Pay for ammo.

Unless you shoot at least a few mags through the gun, you will not know if you like the gun. furthermore, dont buy your first unless you have shot it.

How many folks made the mistake of going to a store, Glock fits like a glove... they go to the range.... and cant wait to put the gun down because it hurts the web of their hand. Same thing other way... you refuse to try a gun because you think it will suck, yet then fall in love with it. =)

For me, it is a story with Browning High Powers. The grips on the newer Mk3 guns seem alot nicer... however I far prefer the 30 years older model with straight wood grips and different sights.

Also, I would really want to go with a gun for which you can get a 22lr conversion kit for. Shooting 45 is fun.... but when you need practice, unless you can afford to spend $250 a week on ammo, start with a 9mm or a 22lr conversion.

+1.

Go make some friends and go shoot. =) Pay for ammo.

Unless you shoot at least a few mags through the gun, you will not know if you like the gun. furthermore, dont buy your first unless you have shot it.

How many folks made the mistake of going to a store, Glock fits like a glove... they go to the range.... and cant wait to put the gun down because it hurts the web of their hand. Same thing other way... you refuse to try a gun because you think it will suck, yet then fall in love with it. =)

For me, it is a story with Browning High Powers. The grips on the newer Mk3 guns seem alot nicer... however I far prefer the 30 years older model with straight wood grips and different sights.

Also, I would really want to go with a gun for which you can get a 22lr conversion kit for. Shooting 45 is fun.... but when you need practice, unless you can afford to spend $250 a week on ammo, start with a 9mm or a 22lr conversion.

When i looked around for conversion kits, i found that i could get a buckmark or ruger for the same price.. At least for the pistols i considered + conversion kit.

Also thanks for that tid bit about the hi powers, i'll have to mention it to my friend.

Ive gone to a couple shops in my local area, its just hard hard to make up my mind because there are alot that I like. The thing is I havent shot alot of them. Ive only shot some of them. So Im going to have to get out there and start shooting a variety of pistols. which i have access to for free threw a family member. Will be out there this week on my day off. I have some time because im wating for my permits to come in.

I had it a little easier then. I went and held ~12 guns, and only liked 3 of them....only 2 of which were in my price range. Make a complete list of all the guns you liked, and start doing some research online. It will be time consuming, but there are a lot of really good reviews out there. It will give you a much better idea of what you may like more, and you can put higher on your list of "to fire" guns.

Im going to look into it. Maybe it might be easier if i decide on a caliber first then start looking around.. Im only 21 so being able to afford ammo is important. And i dont own a pistol yet so i never really had to pay attention to how much pistol ammo costs. i just heard that certain calibers were hard to find. I try to keep a certain amount of ammo for each of my long guns. and plan to do the same when i get the pistol collection started for each one.