Soju

Gun Shops in PA

Near Philly there are tons of shops in area. I only know a few.

Firing Line in South Philly, 1532 South Front Street Philadelphia, PA 19147-5518 Never been there but they tell me it's nice.

Ready Aim Fire is directly west of you across Burlington-Bristol Bridge @ 5800 Elwood Avenue # F, Bristol Pa

Then to be honest I would look for dealers using the gunbroker.com FFL search. Good way to find out of the way stores, the good local kind.

http://www.gunbroker.com/FFL/DealerNetwork.aspx

Targetworld in Chalfont,PA

http://www.targetworldinc.com/

Tanner`s in Jameson,PA

http://www.tannerssportcenter.com/

Tanner`s is very close to Wicen`s range , If you make it a day trip you can shoot pistol,rifle and shotgun for 15$ for the whole day. They also have a discount for Active Military

http://www.wicenshoo...e.com/index.cfm

A person who is from Vermont buying a gun in Pennsylvania and bringing it back to where he lives in NJ? That, right there, is a recipe for a mandatory 3 - 5 years in Rahway (the jail, not the city, though I'm not really sure what the difference is... I'm kidding!).

Air Force or not, the law is clear: Military personnel can only possess firearms without an FID *if* the firearms are required as part of their official duty, which they must be engaged in at the time they possess the arms.

Does the OP live on base at MDL? If so, the law may be different inside the fence line. But, since NJ law nullifies Federal law in any number of areas, I wouldn't be surprised if it's just as illegal to possess on base as off. And, the trip to the base from the PA gun store is frought with peril, as well.

This is NJ -- You can play games, but you'll lose. If not your freedom, thousands upon thousands of dollars in legal fees at the very least!

Don't matter, the married folks base housing these days is either the off base one managed privately, under contract nowadays (Falcon courts or something like that) or the rehabbed stuff by the N. Gate. AFAIK, people who live on base cannot have firearms in their abodes, including barracks for the single folks. That goes back to when I was in the USAF which was er, a long time ago. Since Maj Hasan and the Pizza Guys, having guns on base, unless you are authorized is verboten, every place I have been lately (MDL, Huachuca, Bragg, Stewart, Hurlburt, etc.). A few months back a truck driver got jacked up, later released, IIRC, when he was searched at the Lakehurst gate, and had a gun. He was legally carrying as it turned out. As far as if you need an FPID, I thought that was something the OP had already looked into. One can check with base legal for free, I am sure this question has come up before.

I may appear wrong as to the letter of the law, but I've lived in NJ my entire life and I know how things work here. The police, when pulling someone over and finding a gun, ask one question: Do you have a NJ FID? If the answer is "No," they have one response: You're under arrest; if you want to argue, argue with the judge.

I don't mean to be disrespectful, but you're taking a big risk bringing a gun into NJ without an FID. Just ask the guy who spent a year in jail after being "caught" with his guns, locked in his luggage, while catching a connecting flight at Newark Airport. Or, the guy who was just pardoned by the governor, because he was "caught" with firearms that he brought into NJ legally from Arizona. Or, any of 1,000 others who have gone broke trying to get out of jail, when they had not committed any actual crimes (other than having a gun in Jersey, of course).

Remember that a NJ appeals court recently ruled, "You own a gun in NJ at your own peril."

All I'm saying is, if you want a gun in this state, get the FID. It's a lot cheaper than a lawyer.

I may appear wrong as to the letter of the law, but I've lived in NJ my entire life and I know how things work here. The police, when pulling someone over and finding a gun, ask one question: Do you have a NJ FID? If the answer is "No," they have one response: You're under arrest; if you want to argue, argue with the judge.

I don't mean to be disrespectful, but you're taking a big risk bringing a gun into NJ without an FID. Just ask the guy who spent a year in jail after being "caught" with his guns, locked in his luggage, while catching a connecting flight at Newark Airport. Or, the guy who was just pardoned by the governor, because he was "caught" with firearms that he brought into NJ legally from Arizona. Or, any of 1,000 others who have gone broke trying to get out of jail, when they had not committed any actual crimes (other than having a gun in Jersey, of course).

Remember that a NJ appeals court recently ruled, "You own a gun in NJ at your own peril."

All I'm saying is, if you want a gun in this state, get the FID. It's a lot cheaper than a lawyer.

Why are they searching my car and how are they finding my locked guns? I'd imagine they would be more curious as to how I have a NJ license plate with an out of state drivers license.

Contrary to some peoples belief, not all cops are out there to get you. Considering I have already been in a situation where there were police present, and I had a handgun, and they didn't arrest me, I'll take the risk I won't get arrested wrongfully. And this wasn't the sharpest cop when it comes to firearms to begin with, asking me how does he decock a 1911, and his smart aleck response "oh that's safe" when I told him you pull the trigger.

I am living proof that "...they would be more curious as to how I have a NJ license plate with an out of state drivers license." IS SPOT ON.

Kept my Ga DL for awhile, got pulled over at a DUI checkpoint. About $200 later, and a court appearance, and a NJ DL, they forgot the whole thing. :icon_rolleyes:

I'm not here to flame, pick on, or anything else. But I encourage you to consult the base legal because they should inform you of what has happened to other soldiers - it has come up before, and I am referring to the instance that happened a few years ago. I know it because I've worked on the base as a government contractor before I even moved here. You're probably getting the runaround on the FPID because of your DL situation. I didn't think there is any exception to requiring anyone living in this state for 60 days, including stationed military. Nonetheless, you will not find a shop who will risk selling to you even if a loophole exists.

I'm not here to flame, pick on, or anything else. But I encourage you to consult the base legal because they should inform you of what has happened to other soldiers - it has come up before, and I am referring to the instance that happened a few years ago. I know it because I've worked on the base as a government contractor before I even moved here. You're probably getting the runaround on the FPID because of your DL situation. I didn't think there is any exception to requiring anyone living in this state for 60 days, including stationed military. Nonetheless, you will not find a shop who will risk selling to you even if a loophole exists.

NJCK, the OP is talking about going to PA and using his out-of-state, non-NJ DL to purchase a firearm, which he then intends to bring back into NJ. He's doing this because he's frustrated that he hasn't been able to get an FID and he's sick of the runaround.

That's not a loophole; that's a crime. But, he apparently doesn't see it that way and he's willing to take the risk.

He's reading the law as he wants it to read, for his own convenience, regardless of what might have happened to others before him. That's dangerous, but he doesn't seem to care.

The OP asked, "Why are they pulling me over? Why would they be searching my car?" He apparently doesn't realize that just crossing the bridge from PA into Jersey is reason enough for the cops to wonder what you were doing over there... And, as the cops will tell you themselves: If you have a problem with it, take it up with the judge.

This is just a bad thing waiting to happen. Forget the Federal regs and the state's laws. He wants a gun and he's willing to take his chances to get one.

I expect the OP will chime in again to tell me that I'm wrong on the law. But, I can show evidence of people who got burned, even though they were theoretically following the law. In fact, I'd be very surprised to find a mature, legal gun owner in NJ who disagrees with me.

The OP is clearly very young and thinks he knows better than anyone else. I just hope his youthful arrogance (no offence intended) doesn't lead to him spending the better part of his remaining youth in jail (not to mention spending every penny he'll earn for the next thirty years on lawyers). It's happened to others before and will happen to others again. I just hope it doesn't happen to him.

But, you're right -- There's not a gun shop in PA that'll sell to him, if they even suspect that he's bringing the gun back to Jersey. Good for them. I'm sure the diligence of PA gun shop owners has kept more than one New Jerseyan, with some ill-conceived plan to buy a gun, out of jail.

Not to mention, posting this on this forum, being told that you're playing with fire, and then going through with the purchase anyway? Well, you do the math on that one!

No offence to anybody intended. People will do what they want, based on their best assessment of the risk involved. I just think the OP is not judging the risk objectively and it very likely could come back to bite him on the butt. I hope not; but, really, why even take the chance?

Read these and get back to me (all taken from the first page of a google search for the terms arrested nj gun laws):

http://www.foxnews.com/us/2010/12/02/new-jersey-gun-case-highlights-patchwork-state-gun-laws-relatives-experts-say/

http://news.yahoo.com/s/ap/20110118/ap_on_re_us/us_supreme_court_gun_arrest

http://www.freerepublic.com/focus/news/2666829/posts

http://www.nationalgunrights.org/it-can-happen-to-you/

http://www.examiner.com/gun-rights-in-national/how-can-new-jersey-imprison-a-gun-owner-who-broke-no-laws

http://www.snowflakesinhell.com/2009/04/27/jersey-city-case-going-to-nj-supreme-court/

A quote from the NJ Supreme Court decision in the case of NJ v Pelleteri (who was arrested for possessing a Marlin Model 60 .22 rifle):

When dealing with guns, the citizen acts at his peril. In short, we view the statute as a regulatory measure in the interests of the public safety, premised on the thesis that one would hardly be surprised to learn that possession of such a highly dangerous offensive weapon is proscribed absent the requisite license.

See? In NJ, the law as written is meaningless. It's the law as interpreted that counts. And, you don't get to do the interpreting; the courts do.

I hope you have deep pockets and lots and lots of time on your hands... :(

I feel that the OP is correct.

The only issue that concerns me is which state the OP is a resident of at the time of purchase, CT or NJ? Federal law says that one may purchase a firearm from either state while residing in that state. Unless the OP immediately returns to CT after the purchase, it appears improprietous.

• Like 1

See? In NJ, the law as written is meaningless.

Lots of links, only 3 different cases. First guy had NJ illegal high cap magazines. Second guy had charges dropped. Third guy had NJ illegal high capacity magazine. All 3 cases were messed up. But in 2 of them the people were in fact breaking the law, as ridiculous as the law may be. So basically you cited only 1 incident in which someone was wrongfully arrested for a firearm related charge.

If it is meaningless as written, then you are just as much at risk of getting wrongfully arrested as I am.

PK90, I am not from CT. But if I was, I don't understand your statement. Which law are your referring to? Do you mean to say, if I purchase a rifle in some other state, I must immediately return to my state of residence? I don't get what you mean.

PK90, I am not from CT. But if I was, I don't understand your statement. Which law are your referring to? Do you mean to say, if I purchase a rifle in some other state, I must immediately return to my state of residence? I don't get what you mean.

OK. I forgot from which state you reside. Federal Law recognizes dual residency. While residing in that state, you may purchase handguns in that state. Federal Law also allows purchasing long guns in any state from a dealer. Although you may be well within the law, it gives an appearance that you may be skirting it. Nothing says that you HAVE TO return to your state of residence after the purchase, but it would look better. :unsure:

• Like 1

It would be like you living in PA, with a vacation home in NJ. You can take your legal weapons from PA to your other residence in NJ. No FID required.

I don't think this is accurate. Residents of other states can drive through NJ per FOPA but you can't take control within NJ unless you are NJ legal.