alec.mc

Members of OBRPC ?

Im interested in joining the old bridge shooting range, it's close to my house and is open 24/7 ( i hear central nj range in jackson is better, but im not sure i want to make such a long haul yet )

But anywho, is anybody a member there? How do like it? Do you feel there is ussually enough ports to meet demand? Any strange restrictions?

I'd like to be able to check out the tour before having to wait to the 2nd sunday of the month to apply and pay.

I've heard that they do not have automatic target reels for the indoor range, i've also confirmed this on my brochure somebody gave me. How does this typically work? Anytime somebody wants to change targets out the entire firing line has to stop ?

It also seems their guest policy is weird, for the first 6 months you cannot bring a guest, and after that 6 months you can only bring that guest a max of 3 times per year?

Any other comments on them would be great too.

Thanks!

Alec

CJRPC and OBRPC both limit the number of times you can bring the same person in a year. This is to stop people from sharing memberships. OB used to only allow 15 and 25 yd shooting at the indoor range so those ditances have ceiling hangers. They then allowed shooting at closer distances and to accomodate that they drilled holes into the floor to stick a stand into.

• Like 1

I am a member there. It actually was my first choice since it is very close to my house - less then 10 minutes. The outdoor range is nice, very few people on the weekdays and after 2-3 pm on weekends. Indoor range doesn't have the automatic reels, but I have never seen more than 3-4 lines occupied so usually you don't have to wait too long to change your targets. There are always some competition activities at the outdoor range in the morning on the weekends and this is a good opportunity for you to stop by and check it out.

i am a member at OB only problem for me is on the weekends the outdoor ranges are alaways being used so you have to wait till like after 3 to shoot. Its an hour drive there for me. other than that people are great there.

Did not know that they lease the land. any details on the length of the lease?

I was a member there 4-5 yrs ago and it was a big deal. The monthly meetings were mostly about buying a plot of land for the outdoor range and the feasibility. The indoor range is club owned (7 acres) and zoned as a gun range. This is important because it prevents noise harassment suits.

A few clarifications/corrections:

1. There are no longer any target hangers or holes in the floor for close up targets. The club now provides target stands that you can place at any distance.

2. The lease for the property can be terminated at will by the owner. That is not happening any time soon at this point. In any case as I understand it the current owner has a really bad relationship with the township. When he wanted to develop the property 5-6 years ago, they would not zone it for him. On the flip side the club pays next to nothing to lease the land.

3. Pit/lane availability. At the indoor range this is never an issue. Most of the time I am shooting by myself. At most I have seen 3-4 of the lanes occupied. For outdoor you have to check the calendar. 100 yard rifle range is almost always available. So is shotgun field. 50 yard and pistol pit availability may vary depending on the events. USPSA event (every 4th sunday) takes up all the pistol pits and the 50 yard range. Most other events leave at least some pits available. However you still have to ask the event coordinator (politely) to use any of the ranges while the event is going on. I have never heard of a reasonable request being refused. Regardless most events are over by 1-2 PM. Rarely 3-4 PM.

It is a very active club with just about every shooting discipline represented.

1. There are no longer any target hangers or holes in the floor for close up targets. The club now provides target stands that you can place at any distance.

2. The lease for the property can be terminated at will by the owner. That is not happening any time soon at this point. In any case as I understand it the current owner has a really bad relationship with the township. When he wanted to develop the property 5-6 years ago, they would not zone it for him. On the flip side the club pays next to nothing to lease the land.

3. Pit/lane availability. At the indoor range this is never an issue. Most of the time I am shooting by myself. At most I have seen 3-4 of the lanes occupied. For outdoor you have to check the calendar. 100 yard rifle range is almost always available. So is shotgun field. 50 yard and pistol pit availability may vary depending on the events. USPSA event (every 4th sunday) takes up all the pistol pits and the 50 yard range. Most other events leave at least some pits available. However you still have to ask the event coordinator (politely) to use any of the ranges while the event is going on. I have never heard of a reasonable request being refused. Regardless most events are over by 1-2 PM. Rarely 3-4 PM.

Nice that you can place stands at any distance on the indoor range. Have there ever been any talks about putting up some sort of automated system on the indoor range? Maybe not a hi-teck system but some low cost solution. That was one of the only things that kept me from joining there and I went to Shore Shot but am having second toughs about that as a long term option. I do like Shore Shot a lot and the people there are great but I would cut my drive to the range from 45-50 minutes down to 10-15 at OBRPC. That and the ability to shoot high caliber rifles does have it appeal as does that late night ability to shoot if I am so inclined in the middle of the night at the indoor range.

Have a friend who was a member there and he is trying to get me to try out USPSA and have been thinking about it. I used to shoot as a kid, mostly rifles and now just getting into handguns and an interested. How are the turn outs for USPSA?

Harry

I checked into OBRPC. I actually live in Old Bridge so it is very close. I was going to join it along with CJRPC that I have been a member for years with. I wanted to keep CJRPC because they have nicer facilities, but OBRPC appealed to me because of how close it is.

Turns out OBRPC can get expensive if you do not do the work hours. Look into this before you sign up. I decided against it.

Have there ever been any talks about putting up some sort of automated system on the indoor range?

I have not heard of any plans to do so and if put to a vote I would vote against it. I am a fairly frequent user of the indoor range and to me it does not make sense from the cost/benefit standpoint. I was also initially turned off by the setup, but in practical terms it works quite well. I have never had to wait more than a couple of minutes to change my target. And as I said before most of the time I am the only one there and don't have to wait at all.

Have a friend who was a member there and he is trying to get me to try out USPSA and have been thinking about it. I used to shoot as a kid, mostly rifles and now just getting into handguns and an interested. How are the turn outs for USPSA?

Harry

OBRPC has a very active USPSA club. Our February monthly match had close to 60 people show up. When the weather gets nicer it is not uncommon to have attendance top 80 people. The fact that we have shooters come in from PA as well as CT and Long Island should speak to the quality of matches that we put up. Having been to a number of major matches I feel that the only way our monthly match is inferior is in the number of stages. We set up 7 stages including a classifier. We also set up two "training" matches on first and third Friday of every month at the indoor range. We shoot four simplified stages and it is a perfect environment for new shooters to get introduced to the sport. These matches usually draw around 20 shooters. Although over the winter we have had more than 30 show up.

Turns out OBRPC can get expensive if you do not do the work hours. Look into this before you sign up. I decided against it.

Nobody keeps work hours a secret. You have to put in 12 work hours over the course of the year or pay something like $14 per every hour short of 12. So your maximum work hour charge is around $164 for the year. Personally in 5 years that I've been a member I have never paid a work hour charge and typically put in a lot more than 12 hours per year.

I have not heard of any plans to do so and if put to a vote I would vote against it. I am a fairly frequent user of the indoor range and to me it does not make sense from the cost/benefit standpoint. I was also initially turned off by the setup, but in practical terms it works quite well. I have never had to wait more than a couple of minutes to change my target. And as I said before most of the time I am the only one there and don't have to wait at all.

OBRPC has a very active USPSA club. Our February monthly match had close to 60 people show up. When the weather gets nicer it is not uncommon to have attendance top 80 people. The fact that we have shooters come in from PA as well as CT and Long Island should speak to the quality of matches that we put up. Having been to a number of major matches I feel that the only way our monthly match is inferior is in the number of stages. We set up 7 stages including a classifier. We also set up two "training" matches on first and third Friday of every month at the indoor range. We shoot four simplified stages and it is a perfect environment for new shooters to get introduced to the sport. These matches usually draw around 20 shooters. Although over the winter we have had more than 30 show up.

Thanks for the info, My friend was going to bring me to the training match today but I have been under the weather the last couple days so I guess I will have to wait another 2 weeks.

Harry

Just to correct/expand on some of slav's stuff.

1) yes there are stands. No it's not "any" distance. Too close and they will cause you to hit the floor or ceiling even when you don't miss if you are the right height. IIRC we ahve markings out for them up to 21 or 25 feet.

2) Yes, the outdoor range is rented month by month. Yes, the developer was in court with the town. Bad news is he won over a year ago, and can build residential units on it. "Good" news is that the federal govenrment odnated the adjacent lots to old bridge in an attempt to stick the township with costs associated with the land. "Bad" news is that OB did a study of the contamination, and the ground is polluted badly. "Good" news is that between that, the recession, and having to clean up the dirt form being a shooting range, the land owner has not yet chosen to develop anything on it. Also, if he wants to build an access road to the land, he either has to be granted an easement on the old bridge owned property, and they don't like him. Build it on the side we already have an access "road", which has a natural gas pipeline running the length, or get an easement from one of the other residential developments already built on the other sides (i.e. knock down someone else's construction).

3) pit/range availability. Weekdays the outdoors is deserted. Weekends it is pretty busy. The indoors is empty most hours during the week. We are in the process of trying to make it more clear what is accessible when, but it is a work in progress during people's copious free time.

Have there ever been any talks about putting up some sort of automated system on the indoor range? Maybe not a hi-teck system but some low cost solution. That was one of the only things that kept me from joining there and I went to Shore Shot but am having second toughs about that as a long term option. I do like Shore Shot a lot and the people there are great but I would cut my drive to the range from 45-50 minutes down to 10-15 at OBRPC. That and the ability to shoot high caliber rifles does have it appeal as does that late night ability to shoot if I am so inclined in the middle of the night at the indoor range.

Harry

I don't think you will see anything for running targets out and back on the indoor range ever. This is due to the age of the range, and building code at the time. It allowed the place to be built short, and with a slope to it. Because of this, installing anything below the armored baffles means you would effectively make it so nobody could move freely down range. Between that and the expense, it is unlikely to happen. The OBRPC indoor range does not allow centerfire rifle. Not sure you are referring to access to the outdoor range or not, just trying to be clear.

To all that have responded, thank you for the information, I plan on going there tomorrow being it's the second Sunday of the month with check book in hand.

And to Raz, when I mentioned the 30-30, yes I was refering to the outdoor range, I do believe I have the Indoor range rules down to Hand Guns and 22LR only. I'll get more infor tomorrow morning if there are any HG restrictions, not that I shoot any HiPo handguns but with my name I have alwasy wanted a S&W Model 29 so i guess I better ask.:icon_e_biggrin:

Harry

Well just to update, I did go on Sunday to check the place out and I am now a member, fantastic facility and all the people I met there and the guys running the orientation were great.

I went to the Outdoor range to play with my Marlin Golden 39A and figured I'd run a few down the pipe on the Marlin 336A I just picked up for PK90 (Thanks Paul) and there was 1 other person at one of the shorter ranges, I was all alone on the 100 yrd range. Packed up the wrong staple gun in my range bag and didn't have any staples so I drew a new target with a marker on some old shot up targets other people left.

The next day I went to the indoor range and was alone again, was able to set up a few target at different distances and had a blast. For the folks that said not having a auto reel target system isn't so bad were right. I loved the place. It sure is different shooting alone with nobody around, was kind of nice and peaceful, that and no restriction on rapid fire were nice, also let me play with quick acquisition of target without using sites to see how I would do, not something I felt that comfortable with in a public range, you know, hate to get out of the 9 or 10 ring at 7 yards in public. :sarcastichand:

Harry

Well just to update, I did go on Sunday to check the place out and I am now a member, fantastic facility and all the people I met there and the guys running the orientation were great.

I went to the Outdoor range to play with my Marlin Golden 39A and figured I'd run a few down the pipe on the Marlin 336A I just picked up for PK90 (Thanks Paul) and there was 1 other person at one of the shorter ranges, I was all alone on the 100 yrd range. Packed up the wrong staple gun in my range bag and didn't have any staples so I drew a new target with a marker on some old shot up targets other people left.

The next day I went to the indoor range and was alone again, was able to set up a few target at different distances and had a blast. For the folks that said not having a auto reel target system isn't so bad were right. I loved the place. It sure is different shooting alone with nobody around, was kind of nice and peaceful, that and no restriction on rapid fire were nice, also let me play with quick acquisition of target without using sites to see how I would do, not something I felt that comfortable with in a public range, you know, hate to get out of the 9 or 10 ring at 7 yards in public. :sarcastichand:

Harry

I was at the 50yd range with a couple for friends around 2 pm.

I was at the 50yd range with a couple for friends around 2 pm.

I was there a little earlier than that, probably around 10AM till about 11 or there abouts. There was 1 white SUV there when I was there and a Blue Pickup was pulling in when I was leaving. Very nice place, would be nice if the canopies were up being there was a little drizzle at first, other than that, I like the place, plus I'm in Sayreville so it very close.

Harry

I was there a little earlier than that, probably around 10AM till about 11 or there abouts. There was 1 white SUV there when I was there and a Blue Pickup was pulling in when I was leaving. Very nice place, would be nice if the canopies were up being there was a little drizzle at first, other than that, I like the place, plus I'm in Sayreville so it very close.

Harry

Canopies will be going back up soon. They get taken down for the winter because they do not survive otherwise.

I decided I want to check this place out, as it's only about 20 minutes from my house.

How does their guest policy work exactly? I typically bring a buddy or my girlfriend when I go to the range, do they need a membership if they come more then " x " amount of times?

Also, I realize I have to wait till the 2nd sunday of the month, which looks like may 8th, for the orientation--- But how does this whole process work? Can I shoot the same day? or is their some type of waiting period?

and if anybody is a member there that wouldn't mind taking me in as a guest i'd appretiate it very much, I'd at least like to check the facilities out before committing.

thanks

alec

I decided I want to check this place out, as it's only about 20 minutes from my house.

How does their guest policy work exactly? I typically bring a buddy or my girlfriend when I go to the range, do they need a membership if they come more then " x " amount of times?

New members can not guest people in for 6 months, buy family (Wife & Kids) can come with you at any time. Not sure how many times you can guest someone after you are able to, but I am thinking 3 times but don't quote my on that one.

Also, I realize I have to wait till the 2nd sunday of the month, which looks like may 8th, for the orientation--- But how does this whole process work? Can I shoot the same day? or is their some type of waiting period?

It's an orientation with description of what the club is like, what the rules are and some of the activities etc. You will also do some live fire, basically they are looking for safe handling and doing things the way the club wants it's members to do them. After the orientation you can shoot that day and all day and night if you like. Indoor range is hanguns, no magnum and rim fire rifles, the outdoor range is any thing you want to shoot, well anything you can own in NJ that is.

and if anybody is a member there that wouldn't mind taking me in as a guest i'd appretiate it very much, I'd at least like to check the facilities out before committing.

I would love to be able to guest people in, but I just joined in March so I still need to do my time before I can do that. It's a great club and my only regret is I didn't join it earlier.

thanks

alec

Here is the scoop on the guest policy. Yes there is a limit of many people you can bring at once and how often you can bring them. If you want to abuse it you can, but keep in mind that if you bring your buddy all the time, that means the club loses money. When you are a member you are basically part owner and you are screwing everyone else and yourself by abusing the guest policy. The club doesn't run for profit or stock up huge bank accounts or buy free booze for its board members, all the membership fees go towards running the club, paying the bills, and maintaining the facilities.

The guest policy is a bit relaxed for family members, you can bring them as many times as you want, but in my case my wife got her own membership so she can go by herself. There are discounts for family members as well if they join the club.

I would readily give you a guided tour, but working out the time might be a bit tough especially this week.

As an alternative I can propose that you can visit the outdoor range this Saturday since they are holding an event and the gate will be open. Bring eye and ear protection and you can look around. You can do the same next Friday at the indoor range.

If that does not work for you for some reason, PM me and we can try to work out some mutually acceptable time.

Thanks for the guest offers guys, i'll see what I can work out.

As far as the 6 month period without bringing a guest is really really turning me off, I usually always bring a friend or my girlfriend when I go... Who likes shooting alone? It's sort of absurd to think I cant go shooting with anybody till November, the whole damn summer gone by.

Grrrrrrrrr...

Here is the simple logic of it. We are basically trusting you with the keys to the club on day one. If you don't know which end of the gun bullets come out of you may end up hurting yourself but not your guests. During those 6 months you are supposed to participate in at least 2 events. That gives the various discipline match directors a chance to see if you are dangerous and inform the board. The club doesn't like to get sued any more then anyone else.

Here is the simple logic of it. We are basically trusting you with the keys to the club on day one. If you don't know which end of the gun bullets come out of you may end up hurting yourself but not your guests. During those 6 months you are supposed to participate in at least 2 events. That gives the various discipline match directors a chance to see if you are dangerous and inform the board. The club doesn't like to get sued any more then anyone else.

I do understand the logic, I guess it's sort of a " probationary period " , but it still sucks having to shoot alone for 6 months. :keeporder:

I'll probably wind up joining regardless since it's so close to me.

Thanks again.