Sign in to follow this  
Wojo

Top Shot - I'll be coaching a contestant

I kid you not. Just got the call this evening about a neighbor's son who has lots of experience with shotguns made the cut after someone else couldn't make it for Top Shot. He has no experience with handguns or service rifles so I will offering some crash instruction before he heads out this weekend. Good to see more Jersey influence on the show. Although, I only caught one episode of this current season.

• Like 2

I kid you not. Just got the call this evening about a neighbor's son who has lots of experience with shotguns made the cut after someone else couldn't make it for Top Shot. He has no experience with handguns or service rifles so I will offering some crash instruction before he heads out this weekend. Good to see more Jersey influence on the show. Although, I only caught one episode of this current season.

Congrats Wojo...now if he wins do you split the prize money? Need an agent to negotiate your contract??? :)

This season or next season?

I would assume it would have to be next season. The filming for this season should have been done last year. It takes time to cut/edit/compile advertise etc.

Good for him, but.... how does somebody who has zero experience with hand guns or rifles qualify for a show like top shot? isnt the point of the show to gather the best of the best of the best to compete in all aspects of the firearm world?

Good for him, but.... how does somebody who has zero experience with hand guns or rifles qualify for a show like top shot? isnt the point of the show to gather the best of the best of the best to compete in all aspects of the firearm world?

many of the past contestants all had some very specific specialty. Some olympic shotgunners, uspsa pistol shooters, cowboy shooters, etc but often these peoples' skills were a detriment to thier overall success since they lacked the more well rounded skills of the LE/MIL contestants who dominated, and ultimately won, last season. Still, you need variety of not only skills, but also personalities since it is TV afterall.

very cool, do not forget archery and knife throwing..

I wonder if the 1st season trained ?

With most "reality" shows, the 1st season usually has no idea on what to expect. But the subsequent cast members can train somewhat after watching the the 1st season.

So if you lack certain skills, you can brush up on them.

From my understanding the young man is a master of shooting skeet / trap. I mean busting birds behind the back, between the legs and other trick shots from what I heard from his mother and sister who is our baby sitter and is now in medical school. Good family, dad is a long time skeet shooter.

Hand guns are the missing component. Like many of us he has dabbled with throwing knifes, archery, blow guns, sling shots, etc. But this NJ and hand guns are evil so he hasn't had any exposure to them. Not much you can do on short notice except a lot of dry firing, techniques and operation stuff...clearing jams, diagnosing your technique / problems by POI etc. I'm excited for him.

Great night of talking and teaching. But I feel old. When I pulled out my Dan Wesson 357 to talk about wheel guns, I stated that I bought this in Alaska in 85 and it has flown with me hundreds of hours it has seen some severe conditions and still looks damn good, and I hear, "cool that is the year I was born". I had to laugh.

Wojo,

Do you know if there was any sort of press release issued regarding the selection of a Jersey Boy for next season? Seems like something to put in the N&A section of the site, and maybe to send around to the mailing list. We have so little good news to share, this could be of interest to the community.

I looked around Google, but nothing showed up in my search other than JJ from the first season.

Thanks.

Ken

One of the contestants in this current season is a Jersey boy too, Ken.

Even more interesting... 3 seasons, 3 guys from Fortress New Jersey. Who woulda thunk it?

I don't think there was time. He was on stand-by, was called, then cx'd and then was called saying you need to be here ASAP. He left yesterday and I have not had to chance to talk to his mother yet. I was away all weekend at the Appleseed Shoot. He promised to call me to let me know what is going on. He is also worried about some of the a-hole personalities and I told him I would mentor / coach from a far to help our hometown boy.