n4p226r

How to shoot more accurately

What should I be doing. I currently get large random groups. Id like it to be one jagged hole.

Dry firing? Is there a certain routine to do with that?

I do notice I have a hard time keeping the trigger pulled back after my shot.

I greatly improved my grip I believe after watching the magpul dynamics DVD

So any tips or hints?

At home, put a snap cap in the magazine of your pistol or cylinder of your revolver (unless it is one that is OK to dry-fire). then you can leave the chamber empty. Place a penny on the tip of the barrel, just in front of (i.e. closer to you than) the front sight. Practive pulling the trigger and not allowing the penny to fall off. This will correct any jerk you may have in your shooting motion.

Also, when at the range, have a friend put a single snap cap in the magaine or cylinder of your pistol/revolver. You should not know where in the magazine or cylinder it is. When you fire that blank, often you will be able to notice the gun jerking one way or another. This will help you to correct it.

What are you currently shooting? Is this with one particular pistol or with all your pistols?

Also, what distance are you shooting?

Can you post a pic of one of your targets?

Basically your question is fairly open-ended and it could be a number of factors affecting your shooting.

I'm especially confused as to why it would be any great effort to keep the trigger back after the shot. Is it an equipment thing or a habit thing?

The most important element of handgun shooting it trigger contol. Sight alignment comes in second. Make sure your handgun is not loaded and take a sight picture on a blank wall. Focusing on the the sights slowly increase the pressure on the trigger until gun "fires". Keep doing it until you do not see your sights move while you are pulling the trigger.

It takes time and practice. If you have not done so, I reccomend an NRA Basic Postol Class. This is not just for begining shooters because it goes over all the basics of good shooting. For new shooters it is a great way to learn. For experienced shooters it is a great way to refresh yourself and eliminate bad habbits.

For private practice remember to grip the gun correctly ans have a good stance. Your feet should be sholder width apart and square to the target. Your sholders should be square to the target an each arm should be slightly bent. Grip high and het as much palm on the gun as you can. Thumbs forward. Remember correct sight alignment, the top of the front and rear sights line up and there is an equal amount of light on both sides. Remeber correct sight picture. Take a breath and hold it. Place the trigger half way between the tip of the finger and the first knuckle and slowly squeeze. Let the shot surprise you and follow through. Practice these steps through dry firing and on the range. It takes practice and you need to repeat the basics each time. If you use a paper plate insted of a scorable target you can focus on the basics and not worry so much about a bullseye.

i need help sighting multiple targets, one after the other. since im cross eye dominate, sight seems blurry with both eyes open upon moving the pistol. if i close my right eye, i can do it quicker, but i miss the field of view on the right side.

At home, put a snap cap in the magazine of your pistol or cylinder of your revolver (unless it is one that is OK to dry-fire). then you can leave the chamber empty. Place a penny on the tip of the barrel, just in front of (i.e. closer to you than) the front sight. Practive pulling the trigger and not allowing the penny to fall off. This will correct any jerk you may have in your shooting motion.

Also, when at the range, have a friend put a single snap cap in the magaine or cylinder of your pistol/revolver. You should not know where in the magazine or cylinder it is. When you fire that blank, often you will be able to notice the gun jerking one way or another. This will help you to correct it.

I like it. this has to work and is so inexpensive. :icon_e_smile:

The most important element of handgun shooting it trigger contol. Sight alignment comes in second. Make sure your handgun is not loaded and take a sight picture on a blank wall. Focusing on the the sights slowly increase the pressure on the trigger until gun "fires". Keep doing it until you do not see your sights move while you are pulling the trigger.

This!!! My shooting went from so-so to much better by doing this. Focus on the front sight and pull the trigger slowly. You may have to find a different placement for where you trigger finger touches the trigger. Maybe more "pad" vs. tip of the finger or vice versa. I drive my wife crazy doing my nightly dry fire repetitions.

i need help sighting multiple targets, one after the other. since im cross eye dominate, sight seems blurry with both eyes open upon moving the pistol. if i close my right eye, i can do it quicker, but i miss the field of view on the right side.

When at the range, do you keep both eyes open? I'm cross eye dominant as well. Once I figured that out, then I started practicing shooting both eyes open. My front sight gets a little fuzzy, but as long as I focus, or try to, on the front sight w/ both eyes open, I get good groups.

Also, another bit of advice. When at the range, I bring 3/4" Avery label dots. I'll put between 3 & 5 dots on a "Q" target. I know lots of folks bring Shoot N Cee 3" or bigger dots. I find trying to hit the 3/4" dot, makes by groups tighter. Aim small, miss small.

ETA - Use SNAP CAPS or similar. I destroyed a Gen2 G19 slide by not using snap caps and dry firing A LOT. I probably did between 15k and 20k in dry fire on that pistol.

When at the range, do you keep both eyes open? I'm cross eye dominant as well. Once I figured that out, then I started practicing shooting both eyes open. My front sight gets a little fuzzy, but as long as I focus, or try to, on the front sight w/ both eyes open, I get good groups.

Also, another bit of advice. When at the range, I bring 3/4" Avery label dots. I'll put between 3 & 5 dots on a "Q" target. I know lots of folks bring Shoot N Cee 3" or bigger dots. I find trying to hit the 3/4" dot, makes by groups tighter. Aim small, miss small.

ETA - Use SNAP CAPS or similar. I destroyed a Gen2 G19 slide by not using snap caps and dry firing A LOT. I probably did between 15k and 20k in dry fire on that pistol.

i use both eyes open at the range. it seems if i move the pistol onto another target, it takes alittle more time to refocus, etc. the front sight seems blurry at first, then gets clearer. i will try the AVERY dots at the next trip to the range. thanks

I would second this advice, I keep an assortment of orange dots in my shooting bag. I will stick the smallest dot on the target that I can see, I find the smaller the target the tighter the groups.

I used to have trouble shooting ragged holes too but now I can put 15 rounds through one jagged hole at 50 meters regularly. The key is to use scissors before you begin, the hole isn't as jagged but you can make it a lot bigger.

I used to have trouble shooting ragged holes too but now I can put 15 rounds through one jagged hole at 50 meters regularly. The key is to use scissors before you begin, the hole isn't as jagged but you can make it a lot bigger.

I found an even more effective method. When I shoot at 100 yards I too get jagged one hole groups. My trick is to fire only one round though.

All of this is good advice but you need to have someone who knows what they are doing (preferably a trained instructor) watch you shoot and let you know what you're doing wrong. If you don't know what you're doing wrong when you are actually shooting you can't correct it.

The Army taught me how to shoot a rifle, machine gun, and howitzer. Pistol instruction was how you made the pistol work and here's yours. I worked at it and became a pretty good shooter. When I went to the police academy they still taught you how to shoot (the qual course went out to 50 yards). The instructors were very good and I learned all the bad habits I developed and had to lose to get better. When I got a Federal LE job (we were still shooting out to 50 yards) I had more great instructors who taught me even more. I had Jim Cirillo for an instructor and got to learn things for free that people paid thousands of dollars to go to his training.

One of the most important things I learned is yes there are "correct" ways to place your finger on the trigger, grip the pistol, etc. However, if something works for you, use it as long as its safe. You need to learn the standard ways before you devlope your own though.