Pew Pew Plates

Share your most horrible (lack of) safety story here!

A recent thread made me remember this story, and I honestly dont think anything can compare to the levels of stupidity and lack of safety.

I was at Easton Fish & Game on the 100 yard rifle range. The line was called cold and everybody goes out to change targets. When the line is cold you must not touch any firearms. Earlier in the day, I was shooting my 1919a4 (belt fed) off the tripod a little ahead of the firing line because I was the only one there. So, I asked Anna (girlfriend) to pick up the links/brass on the ground while I did some other stuff. So she is ahead of the line, and directly in front of this one bench. Mind you, the line is still cold, the last of the people are starting to come back but she is clearly RIGHT in front of this one bench. Well, this guy sits down and starts thumbing rounds into his 30-06 deer rifle while it is pointing directly (like, dead on) at Anna's face. I asked him WTF he was doing loading the rifle and brace yourself for his reply.... "I'm not loading it im just putting bullets in it" :facepalm:

I could tell from the beggining this guy was a little "off", he was shooting his 30-06 scoped rifle at 100 yards at a 14x14" steel plate..... so dumb. So yeah, after that, we packed up and went home. The guy was trash, I was afraid if I continued yelling that he would shoot me or something.

SO...share your safety fail story!

How about watching a cleaning rod get launched form an SAW in barracks? Or having a 45 slide racked to chamber a round while pressing the mag release hoping it would drop before the round chambered and trigger squeezed just to scare some one. Oh the stories of stupidity I have witnessed.

Is that a club or public range? If it was a public range, a report to the RO is in order. If private, I'd mark down his badge # and report him. From my experiences, I know at CJ that kind of BS isn't tolerated, and the whole line would have been on him like a hawk.

I've mentioned to a few people before at CJ about touching their guns while the range is cold, even if they were just screwing on scope cap covers. I never got a smart remark back. I can't even fathom someone swinging the muzzle towards anyone while loading, hot or cold range, no matter where the person was.

I was on private land shooting with my brother and some of his friends. I was shooting a rifle in a seated position at targets 100 yards away when Matt decided to use a 1911 at 100 yards as well. He used the table to my right to load the gun, decided he didn't like the brass from my AR hitting his leg so he decided to move to my left. With a loaded gun, finger on the trigger and no safety engaged he walked behind me and rubbed the muzzle across my back. I got really mad, made him put the gun down and procedeed to smack him upside the head. I didn't violate any safety rules with my rifle and I didn't shoot him.

Glenn, you should have written down his name and membership #, then emailed them about it.

Easton is a private range but I have only seen a legitimate RO there once and I go frequently. The first person on whichever range is considered the "unofficial" RO.

I've seen some stupid things, mostly at public ranges, but none worth telling.

Glenn, you should have written down his name and membership #, then emailed them about it....

Well, he wasnt displaying his badge (like he is supposed to by the rules) and me not being the confrontational type (at the time) and not having a loaded pistol on me (seriously...) I didnt ask.

This was about 3.5 years ago. If this happened now things would have turned out much differently.

A few years ago a guy opened up his safe to show me his new revolver, he opens up the baby and start talking about how nice the trigger is and he dry fires it once. I immediately yell at him to make sure the friggen thing is empty, and before he can finish saying that he never leaves a loaded gun in his safe...BANG

Ricochet hits him in the leg, my ears are still ringing to this day. i'm just happy to be alive.

Well, he wasnt displaying his badge (like he is supposed to by the rules) and me not being the confrontational type (at the time) and not having a loaded pistol on me (seriously...) I didnt ask.

This was about 3.5 years ago. If this happened now things would have turned out much differently.

Yeah I understand. Even now, I would still would be hesitant to confront anyone like that, especially while they are LOADING their gun...having a loaded pistol on me or not. But if he's not displaying his badge then yeah there wasn't much you could do.

Don't really have anything personal to share but kind of thinking this may join the list shortly....

"ALL LOOSE ROUNDS, DO NOT KNOW IF THEY ARE NEW OR RELOADS, DO NOT KNOW BULLET WEIGHT, do not have a 223 and just looking to get rid of them"

http://njgunforums.com/forum/index.php?/topic/23027-wts-233-ammo/

When I was in the academy there was a can of dummy rounds used for dry firing during classroom time. The entire academy grounds were "supposed" to clear of any live rounds for cadets because all sidearms were "supposed" to be checked in after returning from the weekend. Well, somehow a live round ended up in that can.

Well, you can imagine the surprise when the round ended up in someones S&W.

Luckily the only thing hit was a concrete wall.

:icon_e_confused:

Don't really have anything personal to share but kind of thinking this may join the list shortly....

"ALL LOOSE ROUNDS, DO NOT KNOW IF THEY ARE NEW OR RELOADS, DO NOT KNOW BULLET WEIGHT, do not have a 223 and just looking to get rid of them"

http://njgunforums.c...7-wts-233-ammo/

My momma always said, "Life is like a box of chocolates. You never know what you're gonna get."'

My own almost catastrophic fail.

Got out of my car to go to an ATM machine while carrying a S&W Model 19 at 7ocklock (left handed). Got to the machine and put my card and an nonchalantly checked the Smith in the holster. I just about crapped myself when I realized that somehow while getting out of the car I cocked the hammer into SA.

Lesson Learned "Dont ever carry a hammer gun without a retention stap on the holster. "

My own almost catastrophic fail.

Got out of my car to go to an ATM machine while carrying a S&W Model 19 at 7ocklock (left handed). Got to the machine and put my card and an nonchalantly checked the Smith in the holster. I just about crapped myself when I realized that somehow while getting out of the car I cocked the hammer into SA.

Lesson Learned "Dont ever carry a hammer gun without a retention stap on the holster. "

When I first started reading I thought you were going to say that you forgot to put your gun away after an IDPA event or something and illegally carried somewhere in NJ :blink:

I could go on and on, but I will be brief.

I visited Bricak Armory. nuff said...

oh and I had to hear a working try to impress Hisidics by saying lakeoood was worse than Brokklyn NY.

• Like 2

Shooting my dad's SKS (chinese?) when I was younger and it was having firing issues. Dead trigger and miss fires. Well, after a while of trying to make it shoot the bolt wouldn't open on a live round. Placed the gun on the ground and tried to open the bolt. Well we did and when the bolt opened it immediatly closed sending a round almost straight up in the air. That gun (or the other SKS he has, which has the same problems) have never been shot again. There's no feeling like a round going off next to your head! +1 for the SKS, one great rifle.

This one happened just last December. Was in South Carolina visiting my brother and his kids for the holidays. Went to a friends property out in the boondocks for some deer hunting with my oldest (14yrs old) nephew. Later on that day his younger brother (13 yrs old) came by with his dad and a few of his dad's friends to do some target practice. Gave everyone the usual safety speech...eyes..ears..point down range....keep finger of trigger...etc. My younger nephew was firing his Henry .22 Magnum lever action rifle and he thought he fired the last round and was going to give it to his older brother for him to re-load it. He was passing the rifle with the barrel pointed down...but with his finger still on the trigger...as he was giving it to his brother...BANG...OOOOWWW...MY FOOT! The round went all the way through his foot and shoe and into the ground. Had to do field first aid on him and carry him to the van to rush him to the hospital. No major damage...thank goodness...now he has a story to tell the girls (hey I got shot)....and he'll remember good trigger finger discipline for the rest of his life.

This happened at the OBRPC indoor range. I am there with a friend shooting and this guy comes in and starts setting up. The competition box (Like bullseye shooters use) spotting scope, etc. The whole time the range is hot. The indoor range in OB is 25 yds with a wooden door in the middle of the firing line to go down range. Without warning he opens the door and heads down range AS I AM SHOOTING!!!!!!!!!!!!! I practically drop my gun and ask him WTF is wrong with you??? He says he is new and didn't know. I said did you sleep through the mandatory safety meeting??

We proceed to continue shooting and the next cease fire I go check my targets and he stat\ys behind the firing line. I see him walk up to the line and start handling his guns. Now I have had it I tell him "You may want to be a recipient of the Darwin award but don't touch the f-ng guns when the range is cold EVER!!!!!!!!!! Then I packed it up.

My closest was when I was pheasant hunting.

Buddy of mine was about 20 yards off to my left when a pheasant flushed ahead of and to the left of me and flew backwards between us at about 5 feet off the ground. We both swung towards each other and fired. We fired at the same time and we both claimed the kill. Had the bird waited another few moments while we walked forward we both would have shot the bird and each other. When he cleaned the bird, there were so many pellets in it, from both sides, he had to throw out half the meat.

Here's my o **** story when I was just getting into guns my friend Martin took me to range 14. I just built my first ar (thought I had extra parts) ar keep screwing up so I realized I F Ed something up put it away. Take out my moss berg 22 and it's a jam o halic put that away give my Taurus pt145 to my brother he tries 3 times to fire no bang no I'm pissed I grab the gun point to ground pull the trigger BANG about 3" from my right foot. That scared the **** out of me now gun safety and py attention constantly. Yeah I know I was wrong but learn from your mistakes atleast no one got hurt.