dajonga

Is this a bump fire?

So I took my new-to-me converted Saiga 223 to Range 14 today. It was my first time shooting it. I have 3 surefire 15 round mags and I shot about 100 rounds today.

Once every magazine, I would pull the trigger and the rifle would shoot 2 rounds bambam. Seriously caught me by surprise the first time or 2. I though maybe the RO would come over to see that I did not have an auto rifle, but he never did.

I assume this is a bump fire caused by user error? To avoid this should I squeeze the trigger and keep it squeezed back until after the recoil?

Or are converted Saigas and AK types prone to this?

I have never shot a 223 before. It had more kick than I expected. And the sights are waaaaaaaaay off, like 6 inches off at 50 yards.

Thanks for reading.

David

do you have the tapco trigger on your "restored" saiga? If you do, it has a way lighter trigger pull than the stock. If you're not holding the rifle firmly against your shoulders, it may lead to a bump fire.

It happened to a buddy at the range when he tried my Saiga.

I will get out again next friday and see what happens. I will have more time to play with the sights then, too.

Thanks for the replies.

if the recoil bothers you, try to put something like a folded towel on your shoulder to cushion the recoil. As for the iron sights, mine needed to be zeroed as well.

I have never shot a 223 before. It had more kick than I expected

What are you coming from/comparing to? Most would consider .223 a pretty tame round.

Your problem sounds like inadvertent bump firing. Try holding the rifle firmly against your shoulder.

If your .223 recoil is bothering you, then I think either you may not be pulling the rifle tight enough to your body.....or you should stick to shooting .22. My converted Saiga 7.62 with a metal butt plate is nothing to sneeze about, but the recoil is definitely manageable.

What are you coming from/comparing to? Most would consider .223 a pretty tame round.

Your problem sounds like inadvertent bump firing. Try holding the rifle firmly against your shoulder.

I've tried a .308 Saiga and that made the recoil on my 7.62x39 pretty tame.

if the recoil bothers you, try to put something like a folded towel on your shoulder to cushion the recoil.

This will save your shoulder but your accuracy will go to hell. You will be unable to place the stock accurately into your shoulder. I can't see why 223 recoil should bother anyone. I worked with a 4-10, 85 lb woman who can shoot rings around most guys with a M16.

Settle down everyone.

I did not say the recoil was unmanageable.

Or painful.

Or that it bothered me.

Or that I was unable to handle it.

I simply meant that, having never fired 100 rounds of a proper rifle cartridge before, and knowing that the 223 is one of the smaller rifle rounds,

it surprised me with its recoil. I have shot a few .308s and Mausers, but never more than a few rounds at a time.

I will try again next week and see what happens with my technique. Thanks for the recommendations.