deni

Spotting Scope help and then some

So my AR is done...

took it to the range today for sighting in...

failed at it...

i had to rent a spotting scope from the range(stand sucked so it was pretty inconvenient)

but it was better than the 1-4x scope i brought that i thought would be good enough for spotting.

basically i'm looking for something that will be able to see out to 200yds at least

however, i'm trying to keep costs at around $100

so what kind of magnification am i looking for?

what brands do i stay away from?

i know NcStar and Barska offer inexpensive scopes- but should i stay away from those?

any advice is much appreciated!

i'll be keeping my eye out on dvor for any deals as well

@ 200 yards seeing a 223 hole is tough even with a good spotting scope. At 200+ yards you need a quality scope and a really rock solid base / stand. When I first starting shooting Service Rifle, my Winchester Spotting Scope and cheapo stand wouldn't allow me to see my shots and that was around $125 IIRC. I eventually dropped around $500 and picked up a nice Nikon off of the refurbished list at SWFA. For your budget of a hundred dollars it will work for 100y and peeking at your neighbor down the block, but to see a 223 hole, you are going have to dig deeper. I have a BSA spotter which is good to 100 yards. I made the mistake of buying the BSA, then the Winchester and then the Nikon, I could have saved some coin. I think my Nikon is 60X but will have to check. Stands can run another $100 to $400 bills. Good glass ain't cheap and vice-versa.

Lots of us here have the Barska 20-60 which you can get at Natchezss http://www.natchezss.com/product.cfm?contentID=productDetail&brand=BK&prodID=BKAD10350&prodTitle=Barska%2020-60X60%20Blackhawk%20Spotting%20Scope%20w/%20Tripod%20and%20Case for about $100 delivered.

I can see fly spec at 100yards with it. It could certainly be better, but it's a 100 dollar spotting scope.

Lots of us here have the Barska 20-60 which you can get at Natchezss http://www.natchezss...od%20and%20Case for about $100 delivered.

I can see fly spec at 100yards with it. It could certainly be better, but it's a 100 dollar spotting scope.

Good info, I have been looking for one but some of the prices were really turning me off. I only plan for now to use it up to the 100yrd range at my club so I should be good.

Just ordered it up and with shipping just under a hundred bucks.

Harry

Lots of us here have the Barska 20-60 which you can get at Natchezss http://www.natchezss...od%20and%20Case for about $100 delivered.

Replying again to let you know I got it yesterday, set it up at home and went looking around, real nice, this is my first spotting scope and I'm happy with what I can see, not to get to the range and see what she does on the 100yard range.

Harry

Replying again to let you know I got it yesterday, set it up at home and went looking around, real nice, this is my first spotting scope and I'm happy with what I can see, not to get to the range and see what she does on the 100yard range.

Harry

I was very pleased when I got mine. You won't have any issues.

I use a cheaper Cabelas scope on it's own mini tripod or on a cheap camera tripod depending if I'm shooting from a bench or standing. My spotting scope is a 20-60x70. I use shoot-n-see targets. The combination of the scope and targets allow me to see 22cal hits at 200 - 300 yards.