hd2000fxdl

Egg Shaped Bullet Holes

Well don't get on me for being new we all were at one time but I have a question about something that was noticed on my targets the other day.

When taping targets I mostly see round holes, however after a stage I completed at the indoor range on Friday, I was questioned about the ammo I was using. It seems that the hole in the cardboard were more egg shaped than round.

I don't reload, will in time, but was wondering what an egg shaped hole indicates. I'm thinking a bullet not traveling true. The ammo I was using was from USA Ammo, looking at the case it's WIN so thinking Winchester does have different grades I was thinking this was probably the same as the White Box stuff. Now I am starting to think it may be original stuff planned for the White Box but didn't pass inspection.

I am shooting a Block 19, no mods, gun is cleaned and oiled after every day that I shoot, not too much or to little lube either, so I am sort of ruling out the gun but don't know if that's fact or not.

I do have some other ammo types at home, about 4 different brands so I will set up some targets at the same distance the egg shaped holes were noticed before and fire only one type of ammo into each cardboard target to see if there is any difference. I am thinking that doing this I will be able to isolate the problem to the ammo and not the gun.

So to the knowledgeable folks around here let me know what you think.

Harry

Has this ever happened before? At what distance were you shooting? Is it possible that some jackwagon was shooting across lanes at your target from a different shooting stall?

Never noticed before, I was about 15 yards, and this was at the Friday Night Indoor match at the OBRPC, basically an indoor USPSA type of event, so I was the only person who put holes in the target that were not taped up. Another reason I did mention the indoor range is that there was no impact from wind.

Harry

Do you have any pictures showing how egg-shaped the holes were? It sounds like a bullet(not cartridge) issue to me. USAammo sells only reloads I think.

+1

Seems like bullet might of been slightly tumbling? Or was the target shot at an angle? Ammo might of been out of spec?

Definitely sounds like a keyholing issue. Since the ammo was remanufactured, are they lead bullets or jacketed. They may be undersized and not upsetting into the rifling, which can cause bullet yaw, which ultimately results in keyholing.

Just an FYI - AFAIK, Winchester does not make different grades of brass. Could they be seconds? I suppose, but it wouldn't have this affect. A second might have the flash hole in the primer pocket off center or something like that. Nothing that would affect performance. WWB is WWB regardless of where you buy it,

Adios,

Pizza Bob

Sort of sounds like "keyholing," which happens when a bullet is not stabilized properly by the barrel and impacts the target at an angle instead of straight on. But that normally happens with underpowered loads, not a stock G19 with factory ammo.

+1. Give that barrel a good cleaning. If the rifling is coated with enough lead or copper, you won't get enough spin on the bullet and this can happen. It can also lead to much higher pressures in the barrel (a bad thing). Use Hoppes or something similar for lead fouling. Get a copper solvent cleaner for copper fouling.

I hope they were jacket bullets. If they were lead this is exactly what I would expect to happen in a stock Block barrel.

NO LEAD in stock Block barrels period!

Good call, Frank! I forgot about the polygonal barrels. Very good chance the ammo was in fact lead.

Do you have any pictures showing how egg-shaped the holes were? It sounds like a bullet(not cartridge) issue to me. USAammo sells only reloads I think.

I had some once fired ammo from them, but I really think what I was shooting was the new ammo. From what I read and what they sold me was listed as NEW ammo.

Harry

Ok went through all the posts so far. I'll do a good cleaning again on the gun. and try the test I mentioned earlier, I'll start with the other ammo I have into cardboard just as I did the last time.

The ammo I was using is FMJ and and the gun isn't the Cadburry edition.

Thanks for all the info, learned a few things already. I'll update what I find later in the week when I get a chance to get back to the range.

Harry

Keyholes can also be caused by a paper target not firmly mounted on a firm backing. If shooting into a paper target on a cardboard backer try stapling all four corners not just the top two.

USAmmo is now selling their own "New" ammo as well as reloads.

a "block 19"...there's your problem, it's like going to the city and buying a RALEX watch instead or a ROLEX...those cheap knock off's never work right. :nomention::whistle:

:o ,,,,:lol:

Gotcha, looking at a CZ 75 TS at the moment so the Block wont' be an issue for long. :)

Not getting rid of the 19 just getting something else to add to what I have.

Harry

By the way, do make sure to try this again on a securely mounted paper target. I had a similar thing come up and was concerned it might be keyholing, but it went away simply by stapling the paper more flat against the cardboard. The paper was just a little loose and ripping.

A stock Glock in good condition really should not be doing this even with moderately light loads. This usually happens with very short barrels combined with heavy slow bullets.

By the way, do make sure to try this again on a securely mounted paper target. I had a similar thing come up and was concerned it might be keyholing, but it went away simply by stapling the paper more flat against the cardboard. The paper was just a little loose and ripping.

A stock Glock in good condition really should not be doing this even with moderately light loads. This usually happens with very short barrels combined with heavy slow bullets.

These were plain cardboard targets not paper on them and when ever I do put paper on I staple all 4 corners. Hoping to be able to get to the range today or tomorrow for a follow on this.

Harry

Well just to bump this up and report back, I have been unable to duplicate what happened so no pictures needed, we have all seen round bullet holes in cardboard.

Could have been just an odd angle or something just with a few rounds that were noticed. No sure, but everything is good and I did learn a few things in the process.

Thanks,

Harry