Sign in to follow this  
NorthernYankee

NY's AR Build

So I got my first delivery of parts today. So far I have a Daniel Defense Lower parts Kit, Magpul MOE sotck and a Palmetto Armory Mil-Spec Buffer assembly. I have a Spike's Tactical Lower Receiver sitting at my local FFL which I will pick up in the AM. I should have some assembled Lower pics tomorrow.

5601406333_ae4dbf8334_z.jpg

Now I have to really start deciding on what I want to do for the upper and overall aim of the rifle. I was originally going to do a 14.5" barrel and go more of a tactical direction. But after thinking about it I have a 9mm Carbine that is good out to 100m or so, with that in mind I am going to go for a Med/Long range rifle with a 16" or 18" barrel.

Anyone have any recommendation on parts with that in mind?

What sort of budget are you under? The upper I got from Old School is pretty darn nice and it's at a good price.

Also if you're not in a rush, you can wait for the BCM uppers to come back in stock:

http://www.bravocompanyusa.com/BCM-16-Mid-Length-Upper-Receiver-Group-p/bcm-urg-mid-16.htm

I am probably going to build the upper myself...I really want to build it exactly to my specs.

What I have in mind so far is

BCM Upper Receiver assembly w/M4 feed ramps

BCM Gunfighter Charging handle

BCM or maybe a Daniel Defense Bolt Carrier Assembly

The real question comes down to what barrel and whether I want to run Carbine or Mid-length gas tubes I want to run.

And for Handguards I was thinking maybe Yankee Hill Tactical Free Floats but I am not sure yet.

Thoughts?

I would recommend a mid-length or rifle length gas system versus the carbine. They shoot softer, and put less stress/wear on the internals over time (emphasis of these two being on the former).

Just make sure that your handguard and gas block are compatible-- otherwise there are plenty of good choices out there, most of which comes down to personal preference. I personally like less complicated handguards, like the Troy TRX or the new Alpha rails (which seem pretty nice).

Uh. Why? So paranoid.... Ugh.

There's no reason to have to pin the stock. When you have an upper and all, then that's when you start worrying. But half a rifle? Nah.

Because having the "parts" for the rifle, ie, a lower receiver, with unpinned stock and pistol grip, even with no upper is considered a firearm and thus you are in possession of an AW.

Because having the "parts" for the rifle, ie, a lower receiver, with unpinned stock and pistol grip, even with no upper is considered a firearm and thus you are in possession of an AW.

Where does the law say this? Just because I have the "parts for something" doesn't mean it is something. Me owning an adjustable stock is not illegal nor is me owning a lower receiver. What is illegal is having a rifle with 2 or more "evil" features and by them not being together it is not evil.

Let's say for example I have been drinking and I am standing out in my yard next to my car. Then a cop comes by and arrests me for DUI because I was near my car and had the opportunity to drive it. It wouldn't float would it?

Now I may be totally wrong and if I am I apologize in advance, but I would like to see where the law says this.

It is my understanding in NJ that if you have a complete rifle and then order a colapsable stock you now have what is called Constructive Possession which means you can make it illegal if you want. Yeah it is stupid but that is how it has been explained to me. Please tell me I am incorrect because that would be a good thing. There are lots of NJ myths floating around

We just had this discussion in chat... will wait for Joe Jaxx to post the complete details, but....

in NJ, the way the law is written, the AR Lower is a part that can be made into a firearm, and is thus considered a firearm. so having the lower and the stock and pistol grip, 2 evil features on a firearm.

Keep in mind, the Lower is the part considered the firearm.

It is my understanding in NJ that if you have a complete rifle and then order a colapsable stock you now have what is called Constructive Possession which means you can make it illegal if you want. Yeah it is stupid but that is how it has been explained to me. Please tell me I am incorrect because that would be a good thing. There are lots of NJ myths floating around

Even if that is true, and I too hope that you are wrong, I don't have a complete rifle .

Where does the law say this? Just because I have the "parts for something" doesn't mean it is something. Me owning an adjustable stock is not illegal nor is me owning a lower receiver. What is illegal is having a rifle with 2 or more "evil" features and by them not being together it is not evil.

Let's say for example I have been drinking and I am standing out in my yard next to my car. Then a cop comes by and arrests me for DUI because I was near my car and had the opportunity to drive it. It wouldn't float would it?

Now I may be totally wrong and if I am I apologize in advance, but I would like to see where the law says this.

Hello NorthernYankee:

1. The lower receiver is considered the firearm federally and in the State of New Jersey.

2. Let us look at 2C:39-1m:

m. "Rifle" means any firearm designed to be fired from the shoulder and using the energy of the

explosive in a fixed metallic cartridge to fire a single projectile through a rifled bore for each single pull of the

trigger.

3. Let us look at 2C:39-1w(5):

w. "Assault firearm" means:

(5) A part or combination of parts designed or intended to convert a firearm into an assault firearm, or

any combination of parts from which an assault firearm may be readily assembled if those parts are in the

possession or under the control of the same person.

4. Now let us look at what is considered substantially identical since you obviously cannot have a named assault weapon but you can have a firearm which has cloned receiver of one without certain features:

A semi-automatic firearm should be considered to be "substantially identical," that is, identical in

all material respects, to a named assault weapon if it meets the below listed criteria:

semi-automatic rifle that has the ability to accept a detachable magazine and has at least 2 of the

following:

a folding or telescoping stock;

2. a pistol grip that protrudes conspicuously beneath the action of the weapon;

3. a bayonet mount;

a flash suppressor or threaded barrel designed to accommodate a flash suppressor; and

5. a grenade launcher;

So since:

1. you have a AR lower which is considered a firearm,

2. a AR-15 lower receiver is a clone of a named assault weapon: IE "Colt AR-15 and CAR-15 series" from the list

You cannot have a lower receiver plus two of the features that can be installed on the firearm according to 2C:39-1w(5) as that could be seen as constructive intent (remember now 2C:39-1w(5) says firearm not rifle, pistol etc). To further emphasize this point: If a criminal is pulled over with just a stripped AR receiver they will get weapons charges as it is considered a firearm.

• Like 1

I agree with mak, the lower is the stamped part and is considered a rifle. Just having the stock in the same place would be illegal. It makes no difference if you have the while rifle our just the lower because the upper is not considered the rifle just the lower.

Well that is one of the most ridiculous laws ever. I guess I will have to pin it in the AM before I pick up the Lower.

Once again you guys are extremely knowledgeable.

Now back to our regularly scheduled topic...help me pick out parts for the upper.

Well that is one of the most ridiculous laws ever. I guess I will have to pin it in the AM before I pick up the Lower.

Once again you guys are extremely knowledgeable.

Most of the laws are stupid to legal gun owners. =) But arguing the intent of the law, and what the law is, as stupid as they are, are two separate topics.

Thank you joejaxx.

+1 for BCM complete uppers. Now finding one you want actually in stock... that's another story

They have an unreal demand for their stuff. I suppose high quality at affordable prices is a big winner when it comes to selling stuff. Who'd have thunk it.... :meeting:

Well, I think I have decided on all the parts for the upper, I will be ordering gradually over the next month or so as funds allow.

Upper Receiver: Vltor MUR-1A $190

BCG: BCM $140(I wanted a Daniel Defense but everyone is Out of Stock. If I come across one somewhere I will go with the instead.)

Barrel: DPMS BL-SASSGB Mini SASS Barrel w/Gas Block $310

Handguard: Yankee Hill Free Float $110

BUIS: Midwest Industries ERS Flip-up set $180

Charging Handle: BCM Gunfighter Mod 4 $45

Gas Tube: Mid-Length $13

Thoughts on this combo? Am I missing anything?

+1 for BCM complete uppers. Now finding one you want actually in stock... that's another story

They have an unreal demand for their stuff. I suppose high quality at affordable prices is a big winner when it comes to selling stuff. Who'd have thunk it.... :meeting:

Things will get better. Part of the drought is due to their expansion from an 8000 sq. ft. facility to 32000 sq. ft. Paul and his crew will be pumping uppers out as fast as their suppliers can get them parts

• Like 1

A muzzle brake/comp.

Well, I think I have decided on all the parts for the upper, I will be ordering gradually over the next month or so as funds allow.

Upper Receiver: Vltor MUR-1A $190

BCG: BCM $140(I wanted a Daniel Defense but everyone is Out of Stock. If I come across one somewhere I will go with the instead.)

Barrel: DPMS BL-SASSGB Mini SASS Barrel w/Gas Block $310

Handguard: Yankee Hill Free Float $110

BUIS: Midwest Industries ERS Flip-up set $180

Charging Handle: BCM Gunfighter Mod 4 $45

Gas Tube: Mid-Length $13

Thoughts on this combo? Am I missing anything?

I wanted a Daniel Defense but everyone is Out of Stock. If I come across one somewhere I will go with the instead.)

on e small thought.. if you are going through the trouble of handpicking everything.. get what you want the first time even if it means a longer wait.. just my 2 cents..