Looked around and didn't see anything on this, I did watch the videos on the pinned thread, great information but didn't touch on this.

I hope this brings to light what others may have wanted to ask but didn't and me being new I'll get the ball rolling.

I shot my first USPSA match at OBRPC last month, had a great group of guy on the squad, lots of tip and tricks and just a fantastic time, ready to go again, and from what my final scores were, I guess I need to go a lot more and learn allot also. Also the questions below are not to compensate for my performance but to move on and get closer to what I would eventually be shooting over time.

Now I was shooting Production, I am adding a new gun to what I have that would make the Limited and Limited/10 classes available and to what I see Major for scoring rather than Minor in Production.

From everything I can see and understand would it not be advantageous to use the gun that I will have in Limited over Limited/10 and Production, I can't really see why it would not be better to shoot #1 Major scoring points and to have a higher magazine capacity.

I know that the cost factor is or may be higher as far as equipment for Limited over production but other than that what would be the negatives from going to Limited.

Yea I know if all this is true why not just go full bore and go Open but the wallet is starting to get thin.

Thought's, comments, advise??

Harry

I would suggest you shoot some more matches and get a better feel for what USPSA is and can be for you.

But once you decide to branch out into other divisions, I would look at the following guns;

Glock 22/35

XD in 40s&w (Full size model)

M&P 40/40 pro (full size mode)l

The reason being is that with any one of the above guns you can shoot Production Limited, and L-10. (open is possible but cost a bit more money)

The aftermarket products available for these guns are plentiful.

You can set up your belt rig (assuming you use bladetech DOH and mag pouches) and not have to change anything for all of the divisions.

Assuming you reload, you load your minor loads for production, and major for L-10/Limited. you also might want to consider staying with 1 caliber (40s&w) will make reloading less expensive.

Recommended that the following be changed; the factory sights for some quality aftermarket ones, same goes for the barrel, and you will want to do some trigger work.

Look at getting basepads and a magwell for when you shoot L-10/Limited. The add-ons will make your equipment competitive for those divisions. Plus the only difference between L-10 and limited is mag capacity.

Of course you can get a dedicated gun for each division, but that can and will get pricey once you add gear mags and whatever else.

There have been plenty of shooters that have gone this route and have been quite successful.

Look at spending around $800-$1100 for setting yourself up with gun, gear, mags, aftermarket parts, and add-ons needed for switching divisions.

Again shoot some more matches, gain some more expierence and check out what other people have. Many will be happy to let you fondle their guns and and ask them questions.

Hope this helps you out.

Thanks for the info, I know being new to USPSA is a learning curve. I know I enjoy it and will continue, I don't reload yet but do have a few people I know that do and will be getting advise from them on what to do when it comes to that, they are Dillon (sp?) fans.

As far as the different divisions I know what they are, but I am trying to see why or what advantage there would be to staying in Production if any, especially being I do have a nice handgun on the way (30 day rule) that will be good for either Limited or Limited 10, and I do think it's a nice gun for these divisions.

I am not looking to be the best out there or even close, but to do my best and 1st of all be safe, and second have fun. I know the cost of stuff, all the fun stuff cost money. lol, My friend shoots Open reloads his own and doesn't have a bottom of the line STI, not that I want to get that far into it, but who knows years down the road, but for now I would like to take advantage of the CZ 75 TS I will have at the end of the month.

Harry

I had this discussion with Maks not too long ago, and he was great at explaining the advantages to me. The gist of what he was saying is this: Shooting production forces you to shoot minor, therefore to score well you must be able to consistently shoot Alpha's, because shooting a Charlie will only get you 3 out of 5 potential points. Remember, shooting an Alpha will get you 5 points regardless of whether you are shooting major or minor. Shooting major will give you the opportunity to speed up your progression through the course, because hitting in Charlie will still give you 4 out of 5 points, so hitting a couple Charlie's won't hurt you as much in major as it will in minor. Shooting Limited or Limited 10 will also put you up against people with more expensive guns, it is a more competitive class than Production.

Here is my recommendation. I don't know what your experience level is with firearms. I have fired both the Glock 22 and MP40. Although they were manageable while I was standing still, with my current experience I didn't feel like I would be able to control the gun well enough during a match. Hell, I can control a S&W 500 pretty decently, doesn't mean I want to run'n'gun with one while being timed. My advice is to try some of these guns in .40, and ask yourself if you can really handle the gun precisely and accurately in a fast paced environment.

VJ:

Really good points, I knew Minor made you shoot A's and Major left a little more wiggle room. Like they say "Aim Small, Miss Small" . I will be shooting another indoor with my Glock 19 so I will have more practice with minor as well as the USPSA match at the end of this month. I won;'t have the new CZ until the 30th anyway. Not that I have to go with the CZ right away but I did like the way it shot at the range, your point of on the move is very valid. Thanks, and as far as shooting, I was mostly with long guns many years ago, I have pretty much gotten into hand guns this year, so I'll just say I started in 2011 to make it easy.

DJ:

Thanks, exact reason I chose the gun I chose to get, like I said I have shot it before but have my own coming so I'll be a proud owner of a CZ 75 TS at the end of the month and have the 5" barrel covered. I'm like a kid before X-mas right now. :)

Keep them coming folks, I know I must not be the only one with questions like this and hope me asking them has answered some of the other new peoples questions.

Thank you all,

Harry

Production is more fun. It is the hardest of divisions because it forces you to reload more (single stack too, but there you can score major), you are scored minor so your hits matter more, marginal hits on steel won't knock it down, stage planning is more complex, your equipment has to be behind the front of your hip bones, etc.

Yes it is the hardest but that's what makes it fun. If you can rock in production, you can rock even harder in any other division. The icing on the cake is that it is also the cheapest division to shoot. I took a brief detour in Limited 10 with my 1911 for about a year or two, but I've been shooting production for nearly 10 years now, and I have no plans to switch away from it.

And it easier to stay NJ legal.

I would look at a long slide full size .40 with a safe action type trigger (Glock/M&P/XD/etc). .40 loaded to minor is a pleasure to shoot, longer sigh radius makes it easier to shoot accurately (its not the barrel length that matters, its the sight radius), 15 round mags for .40 are NJ legal and you don't feel stupid buying reduced size mags. I am partial to the M&P but whichever fits your hands better is fine, most of them are suitable. The only drawback is that the long slide M&P is not production legal just yet, though I'm sure it will be sometime this year.

on a different note, i too planned on buying cz ts .40 but was told by my ffl that 10 round mags are not going to be available till june. i looked everywhere in the web but no one seems to have the 10 rd mags.

http://czcustom.com/11106cz75tsoripsc40sandw10.aspx

Edited to add: Doh! and I just saw the out of stock note. Nevermind.

on a different note, i too planned on buying cz ts .40 but was told by my ffl that 10 round mags are not going to be available till june. i looked everywhere in the web but no one seems to have the 10 rd mags.

I found the same thing with the mags, I see you said you Planned on buying, did you make the final decision not to get it??

If not and I do track some down I'll let you know if you want.

Harry

I found the same thing with the mags, I see you said you Planned on buying, did you make the final decision not to get it??

If not and I do track some down I'll let you know if you want.

Harry

It's a gun that was on top of my list to get so if you find 10 round mags, please do let me know so that I can go ahead and order it as soon as my permit comes. Should be another 2 weeks for the permits. I just don't want to buy the CZ TS if I can't get enough mags to shoot USPSA.

Thank you Harry.

Ryan

The TS is a fantastic gun. What about getting it in a 40 caliber with 15 round mags?

Or... have them shipped and have PK90 modify the mags.

I do plan on getting the TS in .40 but it comes with 16 rd mags or 10. I forgot to look at this option Maks so thank you and I'll probably shoot PK90 a pm.

Is having a pinned magazine completely legal in NJ?

Thanks again guys.

Ryan

I do plan on getting the TS in .40 but it comes with 16 rd mags or 10. I forgot to look at this option Maks so thank you and I'll probably shoot PK90 a pm.

Is having a pinned magazine completely legal in NJ?

Thanks again guys.

Ryan

Yes.

The TS is a fantastic gun. What about getting it in a 40 caliber with 15 round mags?

Or... have them shipped and have PK90 modify the mags.

The CZ 75's do have 15, 16, 12, 10 and I think an 8 depending on the model, but the 75 TS should only have 10 (can't find right now) 17 and 20 that I have seen, very select model the TS is, not really overly compatable with the other 75's.

Harry

The other option.... eaa witness elite limited, and elite limited match. In 40 they come with 15 round mags. Full size double stack.

I just saw the Witness Hunter in 10MM maks.....looks like something that could be built on to an interesting Limited gun. the frame is already drilled so you can add an optic later on.... I could be finding myself doing a lot of side work to pay for this Hobby LOL