Dan

Tactical Pen

Interesting article here on a man given a summons for carrying a "concealed weapon" in the form of a tactical pen. He was going to board a plane, when the TSA noticed the pen and called the PD. He left the pen, and made his flight, but still has to fight the "carrying a concealed weapon" charge. Just when does a pen not become tactical pen? I wonder what the govt definition is for a "tactical pen" being considered a weapon, as in pointy-ness, hardness,etc. Basically opens the door for them to call anything a weapon like keys, flashlights, etc.

http://www.deathvalleymag.com/2010/12/23/news-man-packing-a-tactical-pen-arrested-for-carrying-a-concealed-weapon-at-palm-beach-international-airport/

Interesting article here on a man given a summons for carrying a "concealed weapon" in the form of a tactical pen. He was going to board a plane, when the TSA noticed the pen and called the PD. He left the pen, and made his flight, but still has to fight the "carrying a concealed weapon" charge. Just when does a pen not become tactical pen? I wonder what the govt definition is for a "tactical pen" being considered a weapon, as in pointy-ness, hardness,etc. Basically opens the door for them to call anything a weapon like keys, flashlights, etc.

http://www.deathvalleymag.com/2010/12/23/news-man-packing-a-tactical-pen-arrested-for-carrying-a-concealed-weapon-at-palm-beach-international-airport/

TSA strikes again...however it'd be interesting to know exactly WHICH "Tactical" pen he had if it's one of the ones that just looks like a Normal pen but machined from Ti or Al billet that's one thing, but if it weighs 4 pounds and has one end sharpened to a razor point that's another.

This really is ridiculous. The idea of the tactical pen is based around the fact that it would be a last resort self-defense tool. When in the history of this nation did self-defense equate itself to wanting to cause malicious harm or damage to a person or property?

really stupid, but what do you expect from the TSA. But if I were to have a special needs writing instrument, it would be this: http://www.zebrapen..../pen/f-301?c=30

Steel construction, medium point, and about $5.00 for a 2 pack.Can't go wrong.

Just as a FYI, you know those In Flight magazines? When one or two are rolled up tightly and applied to the solarplexis they are a formatable weapon as well. As another FYI, a tactical pen is a difficult tool to cause lethality with. It would have to be appied to the artery of the neck to immobilize in a speedy fashion.

I'm getting old and the older I get the more I rely on defensive firearms. I know this is a gun forum but pulling the trigger is not a replacement for hand to hand self defense and situational awareness.

Thanks for tolerating my rant!

really stupid, but what do you expect from the TSA. But if I were to have a special needs writing instrument, it would be this: http://www.zebrapen..../pen/f-301?c=30

Steel construction, medium point, and about $5.00 for a 2 pack.Can't go wrong.

I've been using and traveling with the all stainless Zebra F-701 for years and have never been questioned.

Tactical pens seem to fall into two categories.

1) pens designed to strike with the tip of the writing instrument. (ex: CRKT TAo pen, benchmade 1210)

2) pens designed to strike with the pointed butt of the pen (mil-tac, benchmade 1100 series).

Lots of things that fall into category 2. Plenty of antique stilettos are nothing but a hunk of metal, triangular in cross section, with no sharp edges and a point meant for stabbing someone. Just because it also writes doesn't make it not a stiletto. Also a lot of the marketing material for these items would make it ahrd to convince anyone that the ability to stab someone with that pointy bit was not a critical factor in the sale and purchase of said item.

The zebra m-01 mechanical pencil on the other hand has a pretty solid background of being a mechanical pencil. And a really small point of machined metal.

I flew back from the NRA convention in Charlotte with a polymer tactical pen in my carry-on man purse.

We got them as samples from the Archangel booth, they make polymer stocks and stuff. It was totally visable, went thru xray and we were good to go.

TSA never said a thing.

216080.jpg

I flew back from the NRA convention in Charlotte with a polymer tactical pen in my carry-on man purse.

We got them as samples from the Archangel booth, they make polymer stocks and stuff. It was totally visable, went thru xray and we were good to go.

TSA never said a thing.

216080.jpg

Exactly..which is whay i'd like to know WHICH one was the issue here..was it something innocuous, like the polymer types, or just a very sturdy standard pen configuration? or was it one of those that LOOKS like it's to be used as a weapon.

I guess that's the trick, it can't look "tacticool" or dangerous to stay under the radar. I have one by Schrade, a non-weapon company that looks just like a nice aluminum pen. I suppose if you have one with spikes sticking out of it, you're asking for trouble.

61snLai5mNL._AA1500_.jpg

I have a NRA one and so does the OL, her and I carry them all the time, she had traveled with it many times and I work at the airport, granted I bypass security unless I am flying but also have never had a problem when traveling.

The only problem with the TSA is well at EWR I wouldn't trust them to watch my locked and alarmed parked car, but the TSA in general is not consistent from one airport to another let alone 1 check point to the next at the same airport.

The more stories I hear the more I think they just make the rules as they go and if someone sees something they like it get confiscated, I'd bet even though all items taken are not to be kept and are to be disposed of but I'd bet that's not really the case.

Next time, I'll tell you story of my daily ride just post 911 when I would go through the PANYNJ checkpoint with NJSP and DOC helping on my Harley with my trusty switch blade hanging off my belt. lol

Harry