Sign in to follow this  
Downr@nge

Any chance Silencers will ever NOT be NFA items?

It only makes sense to let gun owners own them to combat the noise pollution. I can't see any reason why we shouldn't be able to have them here. I think I read here they have been illegal since the 1930's?

Yes, but only criminals are allowed to have them without paying the $200 tax.

if you pay the tax, can you have them in NJ?

No you cannot:

g. "Firearm silencer" means any instrument, attachment, weapon or appliance for causing the firing of

any gun, revolver, pistol or other firearm to be silent, or intended to lessen or muffle the noise of the firing of any

gun, revolver, pistol or other firearm.

c. Silencers. Any person who knowingly has in his possession any firearm silencer is guilty of a crime of

the fourth degree.

c. Silencers. Any person who knowingly has in his possession any firearm silencer is guilty of a crime of

the fourth degree.

Fourth degree crime:

Gangbanger = 2 weeks probation

You = 7 years in prison

• Like 1

Two bits of suppressor trivia...

In the UK,one of the most repressive firearms law countries, suppressors are common and used on guns that are used for varmint or pest control. Imagine being able to get a suppressor in the UK, but not in NJ. What's wrong with this picture.

Second: Vermont, one of the most firearm friendly states (constitutional carry, very little firearm regulation), suppressors are illegal. When I questioned a dealer about the irony of this, it turns out it isn't a firearms law, it's a fish & game law. They are afraid that they will be used for poaching.

Enjoy.

Adios,

Pizza Bob

They are afraid that they will be used for poaching.

That's exactly why they were included in 1934 NFA.

The hypocrisy of the government is epic. Suppressor for your gun? BAD! EVIL! TOOL OF ASSASSINS!!!!! Suppressor for your car (i.e. muffler)? Absolutely must have one or you will be fined and/or have your car confiscated. :banghead:

For the record, I don't believe a suppressor has been used in a poaching crime in almost 100 years...

For the record, I don't believe a suppressor has been used in a poaching crime in almost 100 years...

[sarcasm]of course they have not silly.. they are illegal.. I could have told you that.. we all know that when something is illegal it prevents it from being used in a crime.. [/sarcasm]

It only makes sense to let gun owners own them to combat the noise pollution. I can't see any reason why we shouldn't be able to have them here. I think I read here they have been illegal since the 1930's?

I've been told that silencers were put on the hit list because hunter's were afraid of people poaching game during the off months.

:hunter:

Not sure how true that is.

[sarcasm]of course they have not silly.. they are illegal.. I could have told you that.. we all know that when something is illegal it prevents it from being used in a crime.. [/sarcasm]

While im certain they HAVE been used to poach, I was unable to find any evidence of anyone being CONVICTED of using a Supressor to poach..a search using a couple of different engines only showed that verbiage used as reasoning in laws prohibiting supressors

No you cannot:

g. "Firearm silencer" means any instrument, attachment, weapon or appliance for causing the firing of

any gun, revolver, pistol or other firearm to be silent, or intended to lessen or muffle the noise of the firing of any

gun, revolver, pistol or other firearm.

the fourth degree.

And if you get a prosecutor on a real bad day, possession of an empty 2 liter soda bottle and a box of steel wool soap pads might just be your ticket to an 18 month vacation at the famous Rahway Hotel.

I certainly hope so. $200 a pop is a PITA.

Some of our fellow members got to shoot one today. NJ members.

Yes we did! Thanks Ed, and your friend Jeff too!!! :icon_twisted:

I'll have to see about getting a few pics up from our little trip. Got some great video too.

Video! It's always funner the second time around.

Yall seem like good guys. I know this is getting off-topic, but you did me a solid letting me shoot your upper. I needed that input. Thank you.

We were plannin to eat yins before yall got Mom involved. Our plan failed. She sticks her nose in places it don't belong. :)

Video! It's always funner the second time around.

Yall seem like good guys. I know this is getting off-topic, but you did me a solid letting me shoot your upper. I needed that input. Thank you.

We were plannin to eat yins before yall got Mom involved. Our plan failed. She sticks her nose in places it don't belong. :)

Hahaha

I'd love to come back. You guys live closer to me than the range I goto in PA. Plus... FA fun is always fun.

Next time I'll bring some melons, I promise!