BigBlueQ

Haggling?

Out of curiosity...All of my firearms to date have been purchased over the internet, and shipped to local FFLs. I have my eye on something new, and my closest FFL has it in stock, but noone else does (and my thanks go out to the men and women who responded through the price request!).

My question starts with this: with purchase price, plus shipping, plus transfer fee my best internet price is 20 - 30 dollars less than what my local shop has it for. Should I try to haggle the local price down? Or not try to ruffle feathers since I'll be likely to use them again to transfer other firearms in, and buy other gun related purchases there. Ramsey Outdoor Store, by the way.

My input.....there's nothing like having a nice store with people you know to run into, and sometimes even just shoot the ****. If you think that trying to haggle 20-30 dollars will ruffle their feathers, then don't bother....it's not worth it. Simply don't bring it up, and have the firearm transferred through someone else if you really need to save the bucks. If you're not worried about the money, but still worried about ruffling feathers....then just purchase from them. An extra 20-30 bucks is nothing in the scheme of things for you, but the extra business will really help out your local shop. For 20-30 bucks, I would much rather bring my business to the local shop.

I tend to agree, I'd be much happier keeping the local shop in business, if it means that there will still be one more "bastion of freedom" in this messed up state.

But for future reference, how acceptable IS haggling in a local shop?

Like other have said though don't risk a good business relationship over small amounts of cash, support local shops whenever you can but don't be taken advantage of. I ask if prices are firm and if there is any flexibility and not just with firearms even if I go to a hobby shop or a mom and pop shop. I do it very nicely and I only ask when its worth asking,if a business knows you genuinely like being their customer but your in a tight spot they might be willing to help. I have asked about pricing a few times in gun shops and the places have been nice about it and they helped me out if they could and weren't offended.Being honest about your position and why you ask is important so they know your not just penny pushing. If a place gets offended about you asking, when its a good price difference and they know you would rather give them business if possible. That place has a bad business model doesn't care about you and doesn't deserve your money for their services.

Not for nothing, but Haggling is a lost art. These days mostly it means that you beg the seller to give you a lower price in exchange for you purchasing it. There's no quid pro quo.

I've always found that if you sweeten the pot, they may go for it. "Ok, if you cut me $20 on this gun, I'll buy 5 boxes of 9mm." or whatever the details are. Give them an incentive to give you a deal.

I wouldnt haggle over $20.

Another thing to consider is taxes. If you buy on the inet, no taxes (though you are supposed to declare it). Factor that into your calculations.

I doubt that haggling with a Ramsey Outdoor or a Dicks or Walmart type store will even be entertained. You have a better chance of haggling with a sole proprietor or a partner.

Just saying.

I'm also surprised that Ramsey is only $20 more than any of the forum vendors, I would have expected them to be much higher.

I'm also surprised that Ramsey is only $20 more than any of the forum vendors, I would have expected them to be much higher.

Holy carp, I just noticed he was talking about Ramsey. There's something wrong with the story. I've never found Ramsey to be reasonable on anything. Not even reasonably close to reasonable!

Haggling is fine. i am of the school of thought that it never hurts to ask, unless you ask like an ahole. I've talked my way into discounts at mom and pop shops and at big corporate chains. I just recently haggled a guy into a 20% discount at a GNC. The economy is tough for every one, you need a deal and stores need a sale. Sometimes you find out that they are very wiling to haggle and almost seem to set their prices higher so people can feel like they are getting a deal. Just be polite and it doesn't hurt to buy a few purchases from the store at full price first before asking for a discount.

• Like 1

$20 is not worth haggling over. One, it'll make you look like a rude SOB and two, is it really worth a couple bucks?

I wouldn't say haggling is a lost art, as there are places and times for it. Flea markets, gun shows, and stuff like that...but a regular gun shop? Eh, if the MSRP of a pistol is $600 and they are asking $900, then I would say try and tell them that they are a bit overpriced and if they could throw an extra mag or two in or maybe come down in the price. But for $20? Not worth it IMO.

Also, IMO, it is not worth buying something off the internet, dealing with it getting to your FFL, having to go to your FFL to pick it up, pay the transfer fee, etc etc, ALL for just a savings of under $50. I've done it before but it is usually if my local stores are over $50 of an average price of a gun. Under $50, I will support locally because for $20 or $30 I don't think it's worth doing all that work. But that's just me!

First I would factor in all the associated costs, transfer, tax, shipping (the total out the door price) vs. the stores out the door price. For 20 bucks or maybe even a little more depending on the total cost would be the deciding factor on haggling or not and probably not with a place I feel treats me right. I also keep in mind that a local shop, store, FFL is worth more to me than a few buck to destroy or not maintain a good relationship with.

Harry

I doubt that haggling with a Ramsey Outdoor or a Dicks or Walmart type store will even be entertained. You have a better chance of haggling with a sole proprietor or a partner.

Just saying.

This was exactly my thought, and last I checked Ramsey's transfer fees were exorbitant. I would check around there are plenty of dealers that will do transfers for $40 - $60 NICS included.

As far as negotiating prices, I do it all the time (at smaller stores) unless I know something is at a really good price already, especially with used guns. If you ask politely know one is going to get offended, worst case they will just say they can't do it.

• Like 2

Always try to support the local guy. But get it as cheap as you can. Its just buisness they try to get the most and you try to get it for the least. Dont feel bad .Feeling bad is for suckers. I would not pay $30 more for it maybe half that would be ok.

• Like 2

The new TV shows, i.e. Pawn Stars, American Pickers, etc., that show people haggling over every price on every item is a bit much. Some people get this idea in their head that this is the way it is supposed to be.

I had a former customer who tried every time to haggle my prices down. It got very annoying and I am glad he never stops by anymore. He thought he should be treated as someone special and be given a special rate.

IMO, one must build up a good rapport with the business in order to receive a reduced price. This comes at the business' discretion and not from a customer's request, i.e. an item that the business wants to dispose of, turn over quickly, or build a relationship with that customer for future transactions. However, there are times that the customer may request a discount, such as a bulk or prepaid purchase.

I wouldn't buy online to save $20. To save $100 or more before ship/fees? Probably.

I made several used gun purchases in the last 12 months, and 2 new gun purchases. I got all of the used guns for less than the tag price, new guns no. I did get a free box of ammo with a new gun though. Used guns I'll usually ask what the lowest is that they'll go, and they'll knock something off the price. Example is my Colt Commander with a tag price of $575. Got it for $525. They still make good $ selling used, being that they most likely paid a very low price, or took them in on a partial trade.

Depends.

if the price is in line to others/market...., the question is... what are you adding to the value.... One thing of note, there is no money to be made in new guns, maybe $15 or $20, except at some major retailers where glocks go for $600.

On used guns, that is where you can absolutely, and should negotiate, especially if you are adding value, ie buying more than one, paying cash (credit cards eat up 3%), picking up other guns, buying accessories, etc. 95% of all my guns are purchased used, I have only bought 4 guns new, 2 of which were new new, and not closeouts that were discounted.

the best advice is... have a want list, and be active on the forums, wait for the deals to come. If you truly cannot wait, then go buy the gun, preferably used, it is a win win for the retailer and you, or worst case, buy it new.

Ok, a local place by me puts price tags on their stuff showing what a customer will pay if they use plastic. If they pay in cash, they will knock at least 3% off that fee. If someone haggles a bit and asks for a total price for a gun, ammo, maybe something else, they can actually get the original item for 5% off, sometimes more.

As stated above, the shops don't make much profit from the sale of new guns. They do make a decent profit from accessories and used guns.

There is a LOT of wiggle-room on used guns, don't be afraid to haggle there. Many times someone will go into a store and want to get rid of a few guns they no longer want and trade them in for a new gun. They are lucky to get .25 on the dollar for their trade-in and the shops can turn around and make a decent profit when they eventually sell them.

I agree with Bry@n, I will haggle up to a point if I feel I am not getting a competitive price, however 100% of the time I know what I am looking for in regards to price and out of the store and FFL's I deal with I have never had the need.

So I will plug at least the 3 FFL's that are highly recommended by myself and many others around the forum and all of them are forum members and business partners.

Paul aka PK90

Tony aka TJ

Ira aka Legends

Harry

Ask. Worst case, they will say no. Generally, the FFL's will tell you up front what they can and cannot do.

Best course of action, new firearms, do the price request, and go from there, for used guns, look around, and ask.

Ask. Worst case, they will say no. Generally, the FFL's will tell you up front what they can and cannot do.

Best course of action, new firearms, do the price request, and go from there, for used guns, look around, and ask.

Thanks. I'm anticipating my first firearm purchase so I'm trying to learn the etiquette. Also, I'm curious.. typically what's the markup on new firearms? What the FFL is paying for it is certainly the number 1 factor in how much they'll wiggle. What percentage is a typical markup?

Thanks. I'm anticipating my first firearm purchase so I'm trying to learn the etiquette. Also, I'm curious.. typically what's the markup on new firearms? What the FFL is paying for it is certainly the number 1 factor in how much they'll wiggle. What percentage is a typical markup?

There is some depending on the make and model but it's not the business to get into if you want to make your fortune in a few years. I would say as other said, do the price check for what you are looking for and know the MSRP and price on the Internet.

Also when you do this you have to compare apple to apples, so while you may see a better price at time on the INTERNET you do have to see what you total out the door price will be.

Local, Price of gun, tax +NICS

Internet: Price of gun, shipping, transfer fees +NICS and some tax depending on where it came from.

One last thing, well all like going to the local store or FFL, if we don't support them who will we go to??

Harry

I couldn't tell you what the average markup on new guns is but I know it's not a lot, if you shop around a little you'll get a feel for where the low end prices should be. Dealers usually have a lot more room in used guns rather than new.

I agree with Bry@n, I will haggle up to a point if I feel I am not getting a competitive price, however 100% of the time I know what I am looking for in regards to price and out of the store and FFL's I deal with I have never had the need.

So I will plug at least the 3 FFL's that are highly recommended by myself and many others around the forum and all of them are forum members and business partners.

Paul aka PK90

Tony aka TJ

Ira aka Legends

Harry

Yea what he said :D I will deal with these guys all day. If it's Ramsey Outdoor in Paramus I wouldn't buy from them. Or the Bullethole. Not for their prices but due to their piss poor customer service and one particular sales guy's condescending attitude at Ramsey Outdoor in Paramus. The guys at the Ramsey Outdoor in Ramsey are pretty good. Although I did ask what their transfer policy was and one guy told me if they couldn't get it or didn't have it they'd do a transfer. This was during the great Obama gun rush of 2009 for a Bushmaster rifle. I know they charged me 50 bucks for the transfer but I don't think that included NICS.

With that said I'd much rather drive halfway down the Parkway to deal with the forum vendors than buy from someone who doesn't appreciate my business or treats it like a chore having to do their job.

• Like 1

It never hurts to ask. Just last month I was in Cheyenne looking at 22LR ammo and I asked if there is a discount on the CCI ammo in the plastic boxes (Mini mag, Target etc..)? He said yes 10% if you buy 10 boxes.

I never thought to ask before and there is no sign announcing this discount but because I asked now I will buy my ammo there. And it is mix and match.

Holy carp, I just noticed he was talking about Ramsey. There's something wrong with the story. I've never found Ramsey to be reasonable on anything. Not even reasonably close to reasonable!

Recently, I have seen that Ramseys in Ledgewood seems to have some good values on guns sold. They seem to be right in the middle range. Not too much and not too little. Maybe they are trying to win the internet sales customers back.