JackDaWack

Do compaines log fired bullets before shipping?

So i just got off the phone with my dad who lives down in Florida. We have been talking a lot about firearms lately and he picked up a Ruger LCR 380 today. He was asking me about the spent cartridge that comes with the pistol. I actually knew what he was asking about but didnt know the answer since my Mark III came with one. It comes packaged with all the information in an envelope with the assemblers signature. The guy who sold him the pistol at the shop said if the envoloped was opened, he would have to bring the gun to the S.P. and have them fire it at his expense... But many firearms dont even come with this to begin with.. i assumed it was for quality control, but my dad... being around for a while believed they log bullets so they can trace a barrel. any Input?

So i just got off the phone with my dad who lives down in Florida. We have been talking a lot about firearms lately and he picked up a Ruger LCR 380 today. He was asking me about the spent cartridge that comes with the pistol. I actually knew what he was asking about but didnt know the answer since my Mark III came with one. It comes packaged with all the information in an envelope with the assemblers signature. The guy who sold him the pistol at the shop said if the envoloped was opened, he would have to bring the gun to the S.P. and have them fire it at his expense... But many firearms dont even come with this to begin with.. i assumed it was for quality control, but my dad... being around for a while believed they log bullets so they can trace a barrel. any Input?

They do not log bullets to "trace" a barrel.

If you can't handle someone asking a simple question without criticizing them, then the internet isn't for you. The question was already answered. If we should not continue in conversation after the original question is answered, then we can just lock the damn thread.

• Like 1

It was an irrelevant question that could have been taken to PM as it had nothing to do with what the OP was actually asking, and that's why Pete brought it up. So, leave it at that, and lets get back on topic.

• Like 1

LCP 380, sorry about the mix up. He wanted something that could fit in the pocket.

So some states actually want the spent casing to be on file..dayum. I wonder if there is even a noticeable distinction between same models. Seems like based off the article its not even a system that works well. I wonder why they skipped logging bullets and went for casings.

IBTL. :icon_twisted:

It is the casing from a semi-auto that is provided with some new firearms, as that is what is left at a crime scene shooting. AFAIK, no case is provided with new revolvers because the bad guy doesn't usually reload at the scene and he takes his casings with him. It would be too much work to recover the bullets on every new gun from the manufacturer. Glock used to pick up any old casings on the floor and put it in the envelope, so the casings never really matched the gun. :sarcastichand:

• Like 1

It was an irrelevant question that could have been taken to PM as it had nothing to do with what the OP was actually asking, and that's why Pete brought it up. So, leave it at that, and lets get back on topic.

Sorry, but sometimes threads get off topic, but as I see it the question was answered and the question may have spawned a question about the gun. Granted this could have went to PM but then if it was about something about the gun and someone could learn something, well than only the 2 in PM would know the answer and the rest of us would miss out. This is a great resource for learning and a little thread drift after the question was answered, I really don't see as a bad thing.

Harry

• Like 2

It is the casing from a semi-auto that is provided with some new firearms, as that is what is left at a crime scene shooting. AFAIK, no case is provided with new revolvers because the bad guy doesn't usually reload at the scene and he takes his casings with him. It would be too much work to recover the bullets on every new gun from the manufacturer. Glock used to pick up any old casings on the floor and put it in the envelope, so the casings never really matched the gun. :sarcastichand:

And I bet GLOCK did it with contempt. The old man is a MOFO, very independant!

Does it really matter considering what he's asking?

no case is provided with new revolvers

Thank you Paul. According to Paul, what I asked was 100% relevant. Do you want to keep this going, or can you finally let it go like a real grown-up?

As for the OP, I'm entirely sorry that this happened in your thread, and I assure you that I was not trying to nitpick or be a smartass, it was a simple question.

• Like 1

Actually they do come with revolvers. My 686 and 629 both came with the casing in a sealed envelope.

Now for the question, when I was a kid I remember my Dad telling me that all pistols were testfired and logged before they shipped. So it is an old myth that floats around. Maybe at one time one company actually stored them who knows.

Actually they do come with revolvers.

+1. My Ruger LCR (it's a .38 with the XS BigDot sight and boot grip, just so there's no confusion) also came with the spent case in a sealed envelope.

As for Glock's shenanigans, it makes me like them even more :icon_mrgreen:

Now for the question, when I was a kid I remember my Dad telling me that all pistols were testfired and logged before they shipped. So it is an old myth that floats around. Maybe at one time one company actually stored them who knows.

There are a couple of states that require a fired case to be submitted to the State police at the time of Sale. I know one of them WAS Maryland, there were a number of guns that couldnt be bought there because of this requirement. I Believe that may have changed in the past few years. there were a number of states thatgot hot and heavy into the "Ballistic Fingerprinting" bandwagon when it was going on.

There are a couple of states that require a fired case to be submitted to the State police at the time of Sale. I know one of them WAS Maryland, there were a number of guns that couldnt be bought there because of this requirement. I Believe that may have changed in the past few years. there were a number of states thatgot hot and heavy into the "Ballistic Fingerprinting" bandwagon when it was going on.

From what i understand, it seems that if you do not have a casing in these states, the S.P. will seize the firearm, fire the weapon for the casing, and then give it back to you, of course all at your expense. I wonder why the sales guy in florida was up front about this though since they dont log them.. i guess it was just a heads up not to open the package in case you move to a state that requires it.

FYI- i dont think anyone minds a semi-off topic discussion, especially when it is a question in regards to the OP. I did in fact misrepresent the firearm(whether it mattered or not). He asked a pretty cut and paste question nothing entirely off topic as to skew the discussion of the topic itself. The bickering is probably the worst part. What could have been a simple question in regards to the firearm purchased, which would have wasted no more then the question asked and the answer given turned into multiple posts which further brought the thread off topic.... sometimes when people try to help they end up doing more damage of which they were trying to prevent in the first place.

with that being said lets keep it clean and on-topic.

Even in the states that did require it, they didn't allow you to "test fire" the firearm at your own cost to get a spent casing? Seems like a money-maker for the state, and allows citizens access to more firearms. Win-win.

my question is who do you want to kill?

• Like 1

Even in the states that did require it, they didn't allow you to "test fire" the firearm at your own cost to get a spent casing? Seems like a money-maker for the state, and allows citizens access to more firearms. Win-win.

I BELIEVE, initially it wasnt allowed..the last i'd really heard any discussion on this was probably over 8-9 years ago, it was on one of the Cowboy Action forums, because someone was complaining they couldnt buy, I THINK it was the EAA "Bounty Hunter' or whatever their SAA clone was at the time, in Md because they didnt supply a fired case with the handgun.