Col. Mortimer

What's your BUG? Whether you have it or want it.

Someone mentioned this in one of my other posts and it got me thinking (which is always dangerous and usually expensive). What would be a good back up gun (BUG)? I like the Beretta 84 Cheetah in .380ACP. I fired one and I like it. However, I think a Glock 26 is more practical. What's your favorite?

Someone mentioned this in one of my other posts and it got me thinking (which is always dangerous and usually expensive). What would be a good back up gun (BUG)? I like the Beretta 84 Cheetah in .380ACP. I fired one and I like it. However, I think a Glock 24 is more practical. What's your favorite?

Glock 24 for a BUG? Really?

I would go with a Commander size 2011 in 9mm or 40s&w

When Florence finally completes my paperwork from my move from Hamilton, this is waiting for me at my FFL...It's a Para Ordnance CWX645R Personal Defense Assistant(PDA) in .45 ACP. My EDC is a PO P14.45 Limited LDA, also in .45 ACP, so the trigger and manual of arms is the same, just much smaller, flatter and lighter.

LDAPOCatalog.jpg

S&W BG380 is my CC. Was initially looking at the P3AT but when I compared them side by side I like the sight picture better on the BG. It's a nice little gun and small and light for easy CC. The trigger take a little getting used to but it's just fine with a little practice.

Harry

When Florence finally completes my paperwork from my move from Hamilton, this is waiting for me at my FFL...It's a Para Ordnance CWX645R Personal Defense Assistant(PDA) in .45 ACP. My EDC is a PO P14.45 Limited LDA, also in .45 ACP, so the trigger and manual of arms is the same, just much smaller, flatter and lighter.

LDAPOCatalog.jpg

I love the LDA trigger. To me it is an underrated breakthrough in 1911 advancements.

I'll be heading to Florida in a couple of weeks to see Dads wife, and also set up a transfer for Dad's Off Duty Colt Detective Special, circa 1961. He wore that gun every time he left the house for over 40 years without incident. It concealed nicely for him. I hope I'll enjoy the same luck.

Hey Chris,

To be completely honest, given the option, I'd much rather carry a single action over the LDA, but the LDA was a department mandate. As far as double action triggers go, I agree that it's a nice trigger. After shooting Glocks primarily for about ten years, it's been a little bit of a growth period learning the new trigger. It's much much smoother and cleaner and without any of the spongy feel of my Glocks, but the reset of the LDA feels miles longer when compared to the much shorter reset of the Glock. When I first started with the LDA, I found myself hanging the gun up constantly by failing to fully reset the trigger. It very rarely happens now, but initially it was an issue for me. I wanted to rock a 1911 though, and the LDA was the closest I've gotten so far...

Respectfully,

Harry

Hey Chris,

To be completely honest, given the option, I'd much rather carry a single action over the LDA, but the LDA was a department mandate. As far as double action triggers go, I agree that it's a nice trigger. After shooting Glocks primarily for about ten years, it's been a little bit of a growth period learning the new trigger. It's much much smoother and cleaner and without any of the spongy feel of my Glocks, but the reset of the LDA feels miles longer when compared to the much shorter reset of the Glock. When I first started with the LDA, I found myself hanging the gun up constantly by failing to fully reset the trigger. It very rarely happens now, but initially it was an issue for me. I wanted to rock a 1911 though, and the LDA was the closest I've gotten so far...

Respectfully,

Harry

Harry, I agree that the SA 1911 trigger pull is the nicest of all. As someone who is a fan of revolvers, the LDA gives me a nicer double action pull than I have on any of my wheelguns. I haven't shot my friend's Para enough to think about reset though. Sometimes too short a reset throws me off too. I had a heck of a time with my Glock when I first learned to use the reset. It's so short that I sometimes ended up unintentionally rapid firing it. You really need to grip a Glock nice and tight if you intend to ride the reset.

I like the Beretta 84 Cheetah in .380ACP. I fired one and I like it. However, I think a Glock 26 is more practical. What's your favorite?

I met Jim Cirillo before I started in LE. he didn't invent it but was the biggest proponent of the "New York Reload". I would agree that a 26 is more practical. The 84 is a fine gun (I used to carry one) but got rid of it as (sorry I did) it when I got a S&W 6906 which is about the same size. if I'm going to carry something that size I want a full 9mm.

Depending on season and attire I've carried a Glock 26, 6906, 2" S&W Model 64, a variety of steel J frames, PPK, or even a .25 (Beretta, Browning, Bauer, etc) if that's all I could conceal in addition to my main battery. I have the same attitude toward .25s that Skeeter Skelton did, far from the best but I might be able to bluff my way out. Besides, no one wants to get shot even with a .25.

On two occasions I've walked into a gun shop looking to burn a permit on a small BUG/If-CC-is-ever-legal handgun, but ultimately changed my mind both times. I just hate not being able to get my ring finger fully seated when I actually get one of these guns in my hands. I own a Glock 19, an M&P45 compact & a 2 1/4" S&W 686 with a low profiel hogue grip. I like all three, but I also feel like each one is already about as small a HG as I can be effective with. The one thing I might look into is a Ruger SP101. Bit smaller than the 686 certainly, but not quite an S&W airweight or LCR from what I can tell.