Sign in to follow this  
Mr.Shoot_It_All

New gun and my first handgun

So its been about a month since i got this but was away for ten days and been quite busy.

Got my two p2p's and fid two days before going away and purchased and went shooting the day before i went away.

Went to gun store and this thing was just calling out to me.

Smith and Wesson 625 Jerry Miculek edition.

as usual this thing can shoot better than i can and the trigger is awesome and single action is so crisp.

post-2969-0-88782300-1306792903_thumb.jpg

post-2969-0-92233500-1306792909_thumb.jpg

post-2969-0-56092200-1306792917_thumb.jpg

post-2969-0-53155300-1306792923_thumb.jpg

Funny I was just shooting mine today and for a revolver you can not beat this combo. I was shooting single handedly with my off hand and though i wasn't dead accurate, i could still hit a center mass target this thing is amazing I love that gun. And your right, its like a nice quiet little thud from a .45acp.

I highly suggest buying some 45 Auto Rim. I used moon clips once with this gun and will never use them again. Luckily I have a 1000 rounds of autorim so I should be set to start reloading as well

I just bought a 625 with a 6" barrel from one of the guys at Shore Shot. I actually love those moon clips. Have them in plastic and metal. The metal clips are tight to put new rounds in, but they work just fine.

I also have a 686 with a 6" barrel. Love both of those guns! Shooting .38 Special is very mild, then comes the .45 ACP, the .357 Magnum is a whole 'nother story! My arm is still sore a day later after 38 rounds!

I bought the 625 from James Taylor (yup!) from Shore Shot. He gave me a LOT of plastic and metal moon clips with it, plus a TON of ammo pre-loaded into the clips. He made his own tool to remove the brass from the clips. I see that Brownells sells the moon clips and the shell removal tools. Lemme tell you, the tool he made from a plastic pipe t-fitting works perfectly!

just need a rig and a clue how to get started lol

im looking into new grips i dont wanna scuff up the wood ones

you need this tool to load the moonclips:

Mooner

this one to take the empty cases:

Moon Clip Stripper

This for carry your moon clips:

Moon Clip Carrier

Holster (order with TekLok attachment):

Blade-Tech

Belt (order 2 inches more than your pant size):

Double Alpha

And you will have a rig like this one:

Same revolver as yours but I changed the grip and a fiber optic front sight...

I just bought a 625 with a 6" barrel from one of the guys at Shore Shot. I actually love those moon clips. Have them in plastic and metal. The metal clips are tight to put new rounds in, but they work just fine.

I think that you'll find that what you have is most likely a 5" barrel. The only 6" barrelled 625's were chambered for .45 Colt. All .45 ACP/AR guns were either 3", 4" or 5".

For the metal moonclips, Ranch Products are your best source. While they have a website, they only transact business using snail mail. Call them and tell them what you want. They will send you a sample and a price list. Mail in your order with a MO. Says there is a 4-6 week wait. I'm at about week 3 right now. Phones are:

419-966-2881 Cell

313-277-3118 Bus

Don't be fooled when it gets answered like a residential phone. This is a cottage industry. They are OE suppliers to S&W and their products are also sold through Midway.

I just bought "The Original Moonclip Tool". Here's the website...

http://mooncliptool.com/

This is a well made quality tool. It looks like (and the owner of this site infers) that it was copied by Dillon. I think the original is actually less money and, from the descriptions, appears to be better made. I haven't had a chance to use it much, but what little I have makes it well worth the price.

Be aware that you can use your 4" gun for IDPA & USPSA. The 5" gun cannot be used for IDPA (Max 4" barrel length). There will also be a difference in belt holders for the moonclips between the two disciplines. Luis is showing the set-up for USPSA.

Enjoy your 625's gentlemen, they are among the finest guns produced by S&W.

b5h84w.jpg

Adios,

Pizza Bob

You may be correct Pizza Bob, my 625 may only be a 5" barrel. I did not lay my 686 and 625 side by side. When this wonderful state allows me to actually bring the gun home with me then I can measure the barrel. I think we have about 21 days before we can use another permit. Until then, I can go to Shore Shot and use it, then give it back to them to put in their safe.

That is a cool tool to use to load and unload the moonclips. I was pushing the brass in by hand, the plastic clips are a piece of cake, the metal clips were much harder to do.

So, where did the term "moon clips" come from? They certainly are a handy device.

So, where did the term "moon clips" come from? They certainly are a handy device.

During WWI production of the 1911 pistol could not keep up with demand. The two major revolver manufacturers, Colt & S&W, were asked to produce a version of their heavy-framed revolvers in .45 ACP (for ammo standardization). In order to ease extraction of the rimless .45 ACP case, the rounds were inserted into a, 3-round, metal clip resembling a half-moon. Two half moon clips to fully charge a cylinder.

Half-Moon Clips

2vv0uj8.jpg

Full-moon clips came along much later ('70's / '80's???) with the rounds loaded on the exterior of the clip, rather than the interior as with the half moons. Since a half-moon clip held three rounds, it was only natural that a clip that held all six be known as a full-moon clip.

Full-Moon Clips

2cdtmp1.jpg

HTH

Adios,

Pizza Bob

amazing link to gear i was looking at some different holsters. am going to hold off on accesories still have another permit to spend and ill be away for 10 months so will wait to accesorize till later. i love this gun and now am a fan of sw in general as far as wheelguns go... the auto pistols just dont do it for me.

amazing link to gear i was looking at some different holsters. am going to hold off on accesories still have another permit to spend and ill be away for 10 months so will wait to accesorize till later. i love this gun and now am a fan of sw in general as far as wheelguns go... the auto pistols just dont do it for me.

I second that. My wife is the one that wanted a revolver, now that is all I like to shoot.......... We'll have several of each, maybe the auto's will grow on me.