7-3-2

S&W 15 22lr or a new handgun??

So yeah I've got the itch to buy one or the other. Im not sure if I want to go through the BS of trying to get another permit or not already or if I just wanna say screw it and grab a 15 22. Anyone have experience with each and could direct me in what they had more fun with? Im looking at maybe an XD-9, CZ, Ruger LCR, or even an entry level 1911 if I were to go handgun. Im also new to the whole AR clone thing if anyone has any other suggestions in that department.

I'd definitely get a pistol, but that's me. Plus with your 'situation,' you might not be able to get more PP's so go pistol. You might want to figure out what you want to use your pistol for before you make a list of what you'd like. If you want a range gun, the LCR I feel would not be a good choice. CCW yes if you like pocket pistols like that..err revolvers. I'd suggest a CZ, they make a ton of different pistols for whatever use you want and you can expect high quality out of them.

I am not too big into .22 rifles, they are fun but seem to get boring after a bit. I had a GSG and currently have two .22 rifles that never get more than 100rds through them at the range. Paper targets aren't fun with them anymore, but I must say that busting clay birds and shooting steel spinners are still fun every now and then.

they are fun but seem to get boring after a bit.

No way! Rimfires are great, especially since you can hit the WMA ranges for the price of a yearly hunting license($28), and shoot all day for peanuts. Everyone should have at least a pair of .22 rifles :)

I have a 15-22 (along with a Stephens and Ruger .22 rifle) and it is a blast to take to the range, and you can shoot it all day and not break the bank. I also have an XD-9 and a couple of .22 pistols that also go with me. I, personally, love the XD-9 and would not trade it for another .22 rifle, since I already have a few. I can go out and buy a rifle any day but the permit process is time consuming.

IMHO, stay away from the LCR. If you lived in a state with CCW it would probably be great to carry, but the trigger was *horrible.*

Regardless, I would get the pistol, you can always get the 22-15 later.

If you're going to need to go through the application process for another handgun permit, why not just pick up the 15-22 for now, then get the HG a few months from now? I just got a 15-22 last week, and I'm finding it to be lots of fun. The only negative I've found so far is that mine came with just one 10 round mag, which does not have the load assist button. So it's kind of a pain to load, and it's empty in a hurry. I ordered a few 15 round mags for it, so I'm hoping those will make things a lot easier.

I should note that I already have a couple of HG's (G23 and G19), and will be picking up a Beretta 92A1 tomorrow (I hope). That still leaves me one HG permit to decide what to do with. How are you liking your S&W M&P?

I added a nylon captive bolt & nut assembly to my factory 10 round mag in the assist hole, now it is easy as pie to load. Home Depot or Lowes and around .75! I do like my 15 rounders from rrages as well.

I'd go for the 15-22, I did last Christmas and love it. I like my hand guns but hate the hassle of going to the PD everytime I want to buy one. I rather walk in and out of the store same day with my long gun. The less involved local goverment is the better in my book. Its also alot of fun to shoot.

TC

If you're going to need to go through the application process for another handgun permit, why not just pick up the 15-22 for now, then get the HG a few months from now? I just got a 15-22 last week, and I'm finding it to be lots of fun. The only negative I've found so far is that mine came with just one 10 round mag, which does not have the load assist button. So it's kind of a pain to load, and it's empty in a hurry. I ordered a few 15 round mags for it, so I'm hoping those will make things a lot easier.

I should note that I already have a couple of HG's (G23 and G19), and will be picking up a Beretta 92A1 tomorrow (I hope). That still leaves me one HG permit to decide what to do with. How are you liking your S&W M&P?

I love the M&P feel amazing in my hand and its more accurate than I am thats for sure. I was really in a toss up between a few guns and was pretty sure no matter what I chose I'd prolly wish I'd gotten the other but thats not the case at all. I DEFINITELY would recommend it.

hello folks. new to the forums. I have to say i just picked up my new Sig 522 and out of the box without cleaning it ran flawlessly.The rifle is the mirror image

of sigs 556 .Aluminum upper,composite lower.Mine came with a case as well. I shot one last week at the bullet hole and immediately went home and ordered one(after doing some serious review research).I paid $451. from buds gun shop. Cheap to shoot,fun,and insanely accurate out of the box.I only shot rem ammo out of it,but from what i read it will eat any LR ammo.

hello folks. new to the forums. I have to say i just picked up my new Sig 522 and out of the box without cleaning it ran flawlessly.The rifle is the mirror image

of sigs 556 .Aluminum upper,composite lower.Mine came with a case as well. I shot one last week at the bullet hole and immediately went home and ordered one(after doing some serious review research).I paid $451. from buds gun shop. Cheap to shoot,fun,and insanely accurate out of the box.I only shot rem ammo out of it,but from what i read it will eat any LR ammo.

Now I want a Sig 522 :)

The Sigs are really nice and seem to have no issues. I chose the 15-22 because I have an AR and not a Sig556.

I bought it mainly for a plinker but it is a great training tool. I wanted something along the lines of what I have.

Either way you can't go wrong but there is more aftermarket for the 15-22.

The Sigs are really nice and seem to have no issues. I chose the 15-22 because I have an AR and not a Sig556.

I bought it mainly for a plinker but it is a great training tool. I wanted something along the lines of what I have.

Either way you can't go wrong but there is more aftermarket for the 15-22.

Same theory here! I was building an AR so it was natural to give it a little brother in the 15-22.

ar-family.jpg

I picked up a 15-22 a year ago, and absolutely love this rifle. I usually always bring it with me to the range, because if I can't get a table on the rifle side at Ft. Dix I can always shoot this and my handguns on the pistol side. This thing has been flawless through 1k rounds, and it's just fun to shoot, as others have said.

22 is boring after a while no matter what you get. Non of them will out shoot a 10/22. If you don't lik LCR, get a P238, it is smooth and accurate.

Read some of the reviews ,apparently the 522's will out shoot 10/22 all day every day. just sayin. the only thing i dont care for

is the fake plastic gas block adjuster on the end. Without having had it past 50 yards ,i can tell it will still preform well at 100

Ill post some pics of the grouping next time i go out.

Read some of the reviews, apparently the 522's will out shoot 10/22 all day, every day. Just saying. The only thing I don't care for is the fake plastic gas block adjuster on the end. Without having had it past 50 yards, I can't tell if it will still perform well at 100. I'll post some pics of the grouping next time I go out.

There are many versions of 10/22s out there. My son can one hole my stock K10/22T Target rifle all day long. Me, not so much :icon_rolleyes: I am not saying that they are the most accurate .22 rifle out there, just that some of them are really, really consistent shooters.

So yeah I've got the itch to buy one or the other. Im not sure if I want to go through the BS of trying to get another permit or not already or if I just wanna say screw it and grab a 15 22. Anyone have experience with each and could direct me in what they had more fun with? Im looking at maybe an XD-9, CZ, Ruger LCR, or even an entry level 1911 if I were to go handgun. Im also new to the whole AR clone thing if anyone has any other suggestions in that department.

Pickup a S&W 15-22lr, I just got one and it was a blast to shoot. very well made, but light and fun to shoot. Ergonomics are almost identical to an AR-15. Apply for the pistol permits, and enjoy the 22 while you wait.

If I were you, I'd get what you like to shoot more. Rifles or pistols?

With that said, I will say, a .22lr such as the S&W 15-22 is indeed a solid choice as far as rifles go, if you go that route. In fact, most .22lr rifles are good choices. Fun to shoot. Cheap to shoot. Accurate. Overall fun stuff.

i should have said out of the box. No accurizing .

Although i wish i could find a bull barrel for this 522.

Apparently Sig does not sell barrels to the general public :-(

I never get bored with any caliber.I love to shoot and i dont care

if its a BB gun..Any shooting that i do, i feel improves my skillz regardless

of the type of firearm it is. BTW folks there is a new range opening in

morris county if you didnt know. Its in the forums. The location has not be disclosed yet ,but it is under construction as i type.