ronhonda

USPSA @ Old Bridge 6/26/11

I shot the popper face on and it did not fall. I wasn't trying to cut the corner, I am not that good yet. Watch the vid via youtube and switch it to 720p so you can see the hit. It's dead on target. Although I reload for practice this was factory American Eagle ammo. Yeah it was the one on the left. Not the activator.

edit, it's at approx 18 seconds in. You can see it waver but not fall. If it happens in the future I know to shoot it again!

Now that I am looking at it on a proper monitor... yes... you went too far in and were shooting it at an angle instead of straight on.

the first array of paper targets is where you should of been hitting the left popper. Unless you were the first to shoot, should of notice it. =) Otherwise, not bad. =)

I take it it was the popper on the left? Got the video?

If you shot the popper face on, it would fall. the folks that were having issues were the ones trying to cut the corner and the round was just bouncing off the side.

No, the popper was set too heavy. We had problems with it falling. Actually shot it with official USPSA calibration ammo becuase someone on our squad had some. It didn't even pretend to think about going down with a hit in the center of the sweet spot. Went down fine with major though.

I'm surprised nobody challenged it earlier than that, we got to it pretty late in the day as it was our last stage.

I shot the popper face on and it did not fall. I wasn't trying to cut the corner, I am not that good yet. Watch the vid via youtube and switch it to 720p so you can see the hit. It's dead on target. Although I reload for practice this was factory American Eagle ammo. Yeah it was the one on the left. Not the activator.

edit, it's at approx 18 seconds in. You can see it waver but not fall. If it happens in the future I know to shoot it again!

Well unless you shot it in rapid succession to drive it down, it likely wouldn't have helped. I'll bet you were shooting factory 115 grain plinking stuff. Which makes over minor, although not usually by much, but due to the light bullets is often not so hot at knocking stuff down. Driving backwards falling steel down sends bullets outside the range more, so it's not the best plan. Realistically, you should have called for calibration. It failed later in the day on a call like that, and you would have gotten a reshoot for range equipment failure.

If it is set bad, and you shoot it till it goes down, you don't get a choice of calling for calibration.

From the video, you went too far and were shooting it on angle, bullet would just bounce.

With minor, as far as you could shoot it was a few steps from the start , head on. Watch Jon's video.

That's not how it is supposed to work. A popper should fall to calibration ammo from wherever you can shoot it. When someone challenges it and calls for calibration, the calibration shot should be from where the shooter took the shot. Unless I forget, or it is windy and I have to set them a bit heavier, I always set my poppers to fall from a light know with my knuckles. I do this because it keeps stuff from backing up due to reshoots and challenges, and because it means that anyone trying to rules lawyer a miss, bad hit, or cheating ammo into a reshoot gets screwed while the guy shooting factory 115gr 9mm doesn't.

My group started with that stage with the popper. It came in question and Jim came to see the calibration. Simon, a guy in my squad, shot it first with a 9mm 1911 and the popper went down and I believe he was shooting reloads. We had a guy shoot it with a 9mm beretta with factory ammo and it did not go down. I believe they called from calibration but before they do, they shot it again with a 9mm on the side and it went down right away. I believe Jim, the match director, was there when they shot it with a 9mm again to check if calibration was needed but nothing was done since it went down.

Ryan

My group started with that stage with the popper. It came in question and Jim came to see the calibration. Simon, a guy in my squad, shot it first with a 9mm 1911 and the popper went down and I believe he was shooting reloads. We had a guy shoot it with a 9mm beretta with factory ammo and it did not go down. I believe they called from calibration but before they do, they shot it again with a 9mm on the side and it went down right away. I believe Jim, the match director, was there when they shot it with a 9mm again to check if calibration was needed but nothing was done since it went down.

Ryan

That was me!

I was in your group. I did see you hit it but it didn't go down. I know they called Jim for calibration but since it went down when someone shot it again with a 9mm, they did nothing. That's how I remember it.

Ryan

Matt,

Absolutely agree on the calibration. =) Just didnt want to be the guy. =)

Now I am confused. Before you said you think I hit it from too sharp an angle. Raz-o said it should have went over. Did you change your opinion on this one?

I hit that sucker right where it was supposed to be hit though, it wasn't like I shot it low.

Now I am confused. Before you said you think I hit it from too sharp an angle. Raz-o said it should have went over. Did you change your opinion on this one?

I hit that sucker right where it was supposed to be hit though, it wasn't like I shot it low.

I just watched the vid again... You hit it at too much of an angle. If you had taken 1-2 steps backwards it would have dropped like a rock.

By the rules... If you shoot a popper dead center in the target area, with match ammo (ie at least 125 pf), it is supposed to fall over. If it does not, you can stop shooting, and call for calibration. During calibration, if the MD shoots the target, with the approved match ammo, from the same spot and it falls down, score stands (IIRC), if it does not fall, the popper will be recalibrated and you get to reshoot the stage.

However... if you continue on shooting, you waive your right to calibration.

In a large match, I would absolutely stop and call for calibration. At a local match.... do you want to be the guy to slow down the match? Ie... this is why the popper is supposed to be painted after every shooter, so you can see the bullet impact.

For major, the target was going down no problem from any angle. Our squad basically got it that it has to be shot from further back to make sure that the popper did go down.

Matt, thanks for the clarification.

By the rules... If you shoot a popper dead center in the target area, with match ammo (ie at least 125 pf), it is supposed to fall over. If it does not, you can stop shooting, and call for calibration. During calibration, if the MD shoots the target, with the approved match ammo, from the same spot and it falls down, score stands (IIRC), if it does not fall, the popper will be recalibrated and you get to reshoot the stage.

However... if you continue on shooting, you waive your right to calibration.

In a large match, I would absolutely stop and call for calibration. At a local match.... do you want to be the guy to slow down the match? Ie... this is why the popper is supposed to be painted after every shooter, so you can see the bullet impact.

For major, the target was going down no problem from any angle. Our squad basically got it that it has to be shot from further back to make sure that the popper did go down.

Matt, thanks for the clarification.

Never stop shooting. If you hit a popper and it does not fall you can either continue on or shoot the popper again. If you stop and the popper falls during calibration, you will receive FTEs on all the targets you did not engage because you stopped. If it doesn't fall, only then do you get reshoot. If you shoot the popper again and it falls then you forfeit your right to call for a calibration.

On a side not. This was my first match at Old Bridge and had a great time

Ryan,

Thanks.

Actually, something clicked in my head for the 4th stage we shot, and I just stopped sandbagging. So wondering how I would of done had I kept the full pace.

Thank you to all my squad mates, it was a pleasure, and I apologize for bailing as soon as finishing my last stage. My very good friend's dad passed away two days ago, and had to make it to his wake today.

Mike D, if you are reading, thanks for the pointers.

Ronny, thank you for the lighter... otherwise my fiber optic would of flown out.

Jon, Martin, Jimmy, Tony, and whomever else I might be forgetting, thanks.... now time to go change out the ice packs for the knees.

You are very welcome. I was not myself on Sunday and was dragging a** due to running the Top Gun match the day before so thanks to you and my squad mates for picking up the slack. ANY TIME I can be of help please contact me night or day. Happy 4th Mike D.