ronhonda

USPSA @ Old Bridge 6/26/11

Great match as always. Long day but great as always. Close to 100 shooters.

Maks,

Looking at the scores, looks like you had a good day! Placed high in L10 in almost every stage! I on the other hand, didn't want to re-shoot my first stage (5th stage) to help get the group moving along with another guy in my group, and caught a bad headache by the stage 2! To make things worst, the stage where we had to shoot below a wall, I bent town and put my knee on my gravel forgetting I am wearing short! It was still a fun day though!

Ryan

Ryan,

Thanks.

Actually, something clicked in my head for the 4th stage we shot, and I just stopped sandbagging. So wondering how I would of done had I kept the full pace.

Thank you to all my squad mates, it was a pleasure, and I apologize for bailing as soon as finishing my last stage. My very good friend's dad passed away two days ago, and had to make it to his wake today.

Mike D, if you are reading, thanks for the pointers.

Ronny, thank you for the lighter... otherwise my fiber optic would of flown out.

Jon, Martin, Jimmy, Tony, and whomever else I might be forgetting, thanks.... now time to go change out the ice packs for the knees.

Great time today. Big thanks to Ronnie for all his help with my newb self. Even though I bombed horribly on stage 3, I'm very pleased with my performance on the rest of the stages.

Ronnie, Maks, Billie, and the rest of the crew who helped out newbies like me get comfortable shooting USPSA definitely deserves a big thanks! They are always willing to help out beginner by giving advise and suggestions.

Ryan

I had a great time this being my 2nd USPSA match. It was good meeting several of you guys here in the forum. Too bad I was not able to squad with you. I signed up for USPSA and I was told to do the new shooters orientation and got squaded randomly. I would have definitely benefited from pointers of more experienced shooters. I pretty much just "winged" it through the match... I did horrible at the classifier stage. But I did achieve my goal for the match(set pretty low) which was not to get DQ'd.:icon_mrgreen:

Ryan - thanks for helping with the vid, pare!

Rey

I had a great time this being my 2nd USPSA match. It was good meeting several of you guys here in the forum. Too bad I was not able to squad with you. I signed up for USPSA and I was told to do the new shooters orientation and got squaded randomly. I would have definitely benefited from pointers of more experienced shooters. I pretty much just "winged" it through the match... I did horrible at the classifier stage. But I did achieve my goal for the match(set pretty low) which was not to get DQ'd.:icon_mrgreen:

Rey

No problem Rey. Anytime!

Hope we get to shoot together sometime. I will not make it to Shongum but probably will make it to Central Jersey if it's not too hot.

Ryan

Rey

If you don't get put into the same squad as your buddies next time, don't be afraid to ask a total stranger questions. I've done it plenty of times, and made quite a few friends doing it. I haven't met one person at a match, USPSA or IDPA, that wasn't willing to explain something thoroughly. You can just ask "Excuse me, why do you think he did it that way? I was thinking of doing it 'this' way, what do you think?"

If you don't get put into the same squad as your buddies next time, don't be afraid to ask a total stranger questions. I've done it plenty of times, and made quite a few friends doing it. I haven't met one person at a match, USPSA or IDPA, that wasn't willing to explain something thoroughly. You can just ask "Excuse me, why do you think he did it that way? I was thinking of doing it 'this' way, what do you think?"

I agree... so far my squad mates in the past two matches have been very helpful to a newbie like me.

btw, it would've been nice to have a hotdog stand in the range yesterday. I brought energy bars but I was starving by the time I got home.

What do you guys usually bring for food during whole day matches like this?

btw, it would've been nice to have a hotdog stand in the range yesterday. I brought energy bars but I was starving by the time I got home.

Lately,for lunch, I get a flatbread sandwich from dunkin donuts and snacks. Yesterday, peanut butter and jelly sandwich hit the spot along with two bottles of Gatorade .

I went there and watched for about 2 hours or so. Followed one group of shooters for two different stages. Will have to try this sometime, gotta get some more gear. After seeing an experienced shooter get DQ'd before getting a single shot off, my first goal will be to simply get through all the stages without being tossed.

Lately,for lunch, I get a flatbread sandwich from dunkin donuts and snacks. Yesterday, peanut butter and jelly sandwich hit the spot along with two bottles of Gatorade .

Ryan, that is exactly what I get. The flatbread sandwiches. =)

Got the camcorder back, proseccing videos over next few hours/days. Will post them as I have them done.

I went there and watched for about 2 hours or so. Followed one group of shooters for two different stages. Will have to try this sometime, gotta get some more gear. After seeing an experienced shooter get DQ'd before getting a single shot off, my first goal will be to simply get through all the stages without being tossed.

Being safe is the number one priority, please keep that in mind. Make sure that you are mindful of all the safety rules the first couple times out.....and you should do just fine. The rules are fairly simple, and if you keep them in mind....it's actually quite hard to break them.

I watched a brand new shooter tear up the entire match. He was shooting phenomenally. There were certain target arrays that he shot better than anyone else in our squad...it was quite impressive. He finished the LAST course of the day, and was in the process of clearing his gun....when he had an AD. Fortunately his gun was pointed in a safe direction, and hit the berm...but they had to DQ him.

I shot like GARBAGE, This was my 3rd match so I tried to go a little faster and got lots of penalties. Doesn't help that we got started off on the wrong foot with lots of malfunctions with the stage. I shot a popper and it didnt go over. (looked at the video later and I hit it right in the center of the top) then they lost my time so I had to reshoot. Then the activators kept not working. The guy Jim came over and was pretty close to losing his ****. He was cursing a lot, talking about how he was gonna rip out all the activators, make them static targets and make everyone reshoot it. hahaha.

Then for the classifier I f-ed up and didn't know we could only fire 8 shots. So not only did I shoot bad, I shot 2 more shots to try to make my score better which ended up being MORE penalties. My score ended up being a 0% for the classifier!! hahaah, good job.

For the good stuff..

I actually shot the star very well considering it was the first time I encountered it. 6 shots is all it took me to knock the 5 plates off.

The last stage I shot was the one with the door. My cousin and I were the last 2 shooters and decided to shoot headshots only. I had a great run but.... the video camera was in my pocket! He scored 141 points to my 140 and he beat me by approx 2 seconds. However I shoot minor and he shoots major. I had more A zone hits and thought I would be able to beat him. Wrong... his hit factor was 3.5760 and mine was 3.3816!!! doh. I think I'll continue to shoot minor for the rest of this season and then start shooting major next season. The extra points are def worth it.

Had a great time, great weather and glad I got to shoot the dreaded star finally.

I shot like GARBAGE, This was my 3rd match so I tried to go a little faster and got lots of penalties. Doesn't help that we got started off on the wrong foot with lots of malfunctions with the stage. I shot a popper and it didnt go over. (looked at the video later and I hit it right in the center of the top) then they lost my time so I had to reshoot. Then the activators kept not working. The guy Jim came over and was pretty close to losing his ****. He was cursing a lot, talking about how he was gonna rip out all the activators, make them static targets and make everyone reshoot it. hahaha.

Then for the classifier I f-ed up and didn't know we could only fire 8 shots. So not only did I shoot bad, I shot 2 more shots to try to make my score better which ended up being MORE penalties. My score ended up being a 0% for the classifier!! hahaah, good job.

For the good stuff..

I actually shot the star very well considering it was the first time I encountered it. 6 shots is all it took me to knock the 5 plates off.

The last stage I shot was the one with the door. My cousin and I were the last 2 shooters and decided to shoot headshots only. I had a great run but.... the video camera was in my pocket! He scored 141 points to my 140 and he beat me by approx 2 seconds. However I shoot minor and he shoots major. I had more A zone hits and thought I would be able to beat him. Wrong... his hit factor was 3.5760 and mine was 3.3816!!! doh. I think I'll continue to shoot minor for the rest of this season and then start shooting major next season. The extra points are def worth it.

Had a great time, great weather and glad I got to shoot the dreaded star finally.

I take it it was the popper on the left? Got the video?

If you shot the popper face on, it would fall. the folks that were having issues were the ones trying to cut the corner and the round was just bouncing off the side.

I had a cooler loaded with water and a bagel sandwich from a local deli.

Man once you decided to stop getting a sight picture for every shot you looked like a freaking boss out there. Gotta shoot like that all the time bro!

Here is Jon.

I can definitely see where I need to pick up the pace... kind of wish I had you film my classifier now. Oh well, next time.

I take it it was the popper on the left? Got the video?

If you shot the popper face on, it would fall. the folks that were having issues were the ones trying to cut the corner and the round was just bouncing off the side.

I shot the popper face on and it did not fall. I wasn't trying to cut the corner, I am not that good yet. Watch the vid via youtube and switch it to 720p so you can see the hit. It's dead on target. Although I reload for practice this was factory American Eagle ammo. Yeah it was the one on the left. Not the activator.

edit, it's at approx 18 seconds in. You can see it waver but not fall. If it happens in the future I know to shoot it again!