Matt

Transporting from your apartment to your car

I live in a city in an apartment building. When I go to the range I have to pull my car up to the road in front of my building and walk my firearms out the door to my apartment, through my building, out the front door, down the (public) sidewalk and into my car. I was walking out my door yesterday and there was a cop standing right there (a homeless guy had passed out on the sidewalk) but it got me wondering... are there any exemptions for walking from your building to your car? Theoretically for a short period of time I am standing on a public sidewalk in the middle of a city with handguns in a bag... isn't this technically illegal?

are there any exemptions for walking from your building to your car? Theoretically for a short period of time I am standing on a public sidewalk in the middle of a city with handguns in a bag... isn't this technically illegal?

Common sense would dictate that what you are doing is fine but I understand your concern as this is NJ.

Matt, you can never rely on common sense with NJ gun laws. However as long as you are walking as directly as possible from the apartment to the car I can't imagine any possible way you could be prosecuted. The implication would be that people who live in apartments cannot own guns. Of course I've been surprised by how screwed up NJ is before.

It also begs the question, what about people who can't afford a car and have to take the bus. But that's another situation.

I like to use rectangular gun cases (the soft kind) to keep a low profile.

Just to be safe, I use a lockable case for my handguns and keep loaded mags/ammo in an ammo can with a padlock on it (the plastic ones from Cabellas).

I've heard of one guy who got pulled over while going to the range and the officer had him put on a trigger lock on his handgun even though it was locked in the trunk of his car.

This brings be to another question: police sometimes like to ask where you are coming from and where you are going when they pull you over (or at DWI checkpoints).

Are you legally obligated to answer these questions and would you tell them that you're going to a shooting range, or would you try to circumvent the question in some way?

This brings be to another question: police sometimes like to ask where you are coming from and where you are going when they pull you over (or at DWI checkpoints).

Are you legally obligated to answer these questions and would you tell them that you're going to a shooting range, or would you try to circumvent the question in some way?

Just tell then the name of the town where the range is at. IE if I'm going to CJ and get pull over and asked would say that I'm going to Jackson.

Has to be exempt. How can anyone who doesn't have a garage or driveway not get to their vehicle without crossing the sidewalk?

I live in a very dense area also. I only shoot my rifle at Ft. Dix, so it's cased and in a box with my target stands when I go shoot there. Everything else is in my Midway range bag (great bag by the way), handguns unloaded inside pistol rugs in the side compartment, ammo in the center console, and all mags in the bag's mag compartment.

It's important for me to remain an anonymous gun owner in my neighborhood. Just a few nosy neighbors who gossip on a regular basis make anyone easy target for slander/defamation.

i ran into same situation last week two cops were pullin over people on my block and i was walking to my car with my shotty on my back in a tactical bag so i turned back around walked to my car and threw my fid card in my wallet just in case usually i leave it in my car but they looked at me and didnt say a word

Discretion never hurt anyone. I've done this before when I travel in my wife's SUV, which doesn't have a locking trunk.

I take my case, lock it, and then put it into a folding suit bag. Now it just looks like I'm traveling with a suit in the trunk. When you are walking back and forth- you are just carrying a suit to your car. No big deal.

My neighbors know I shoot skeet, but they respect my hobby, and I don't rub it in their faces by carrying around cases that scream "shotgun!"

I also live in an apartment & wondered the same. I just go with separate bags & everything locked in a plain black case with nothing on the outside (such as, you know, MOLLE straps gun mfg. logos); I keep to myself, act respectful/low-key and hope for the best. I also carry copies of "Ze Paperz!" in case I have to prove I own something. If anybody has any more tips for transporting inconspicuously & avoiding potential pitfalls, they are much appreciated.

BTW that photo is epic. Love the fat guy "running" & gunning...

Going from a place of exemption (your dwelling) to the range and back is fine. The statutes do not dictate what type of conveyance that you utilize. You can walk, bus, car, truck, taxi, rickshaw, etc.

PK90,

Have you given up on that one?

I know the firearms have to be seperatly cased from the ammo & mags..

I just didn't want to give the OP what would sound like a definitive answer, as you folks may come in an argue it..

Yes I have. I am preparing a thread why New Jersey gunowners are their WORST enemy.

make sure to include me in the foot notes since I have been saying that the ENTIRE time I have been on this forum.. it is mind numbing to see a group of "advocates" work so diligently AGAINST themselves..

obviously not saying ALL.. just MOST..

Please cite the statute that specifically requires (sic) "seperatly".

Yes, the red squiggle under the word means it's probably misspelled.

See again I get this.. ^^^^^

I suppose carrying a RANGE BAG with my Handgun, with mags (with ammo in the mags) and ammo boxes in the SAME bag would be OK?? I don't think so..

can I cite a statute.. no, but I think ANY officer in NJ would have me hauled away pretty quick..

Ammo must be stored in a separate CONTAINER then the firearm from what I've read..

(maybe I'm thinking of the Federal Transport exemptions..)

then again.. I'm from PA nowadays, so I ride around with a trunk full of loaded guns all the time..

oh, and I can carry also.. :sarcastichand:

• Like 1

My cousin and I just had a disagreement on this last sunday when I came to the USPSA match with all my mags loaded already. Midway range bag. Loaded mags in the mag compartment thats on the outside of the case. Gun inside sleeve, inside range bag. He said that a loaded magazine is considered a loaded gun. Now I know he was told that or read that by someone repeating some crap they have heard. He does err on the side of caution though.

He says illegal.

I say no.

I know I am right but how do I prove it? Match fee for Sundays USPSA match is riding on it

^^^^^^^^^^^^^ how is this mis-information ^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^

the LAW does not state that... the state police suggest that.. but it is not actually in the code to my understanding.. the problem with "suggestions" is that they create huge pockets of misinformation.. especially.. when they are passed off as law..

Why do people post that they perform illegal acts?

IYR..

then again.. I'm from PA nowadays, so I ride around with a trunk full of loaded guns all the time..

obviously you missed the JOKE.. jeez..