joshg138

8x57 getting harder to get

I'm running low on my Romanian 8x57, so I started looking to resupply. I can't believe how hard it is to find surplus 8mm! I found some at 50's Yugo milsurp at J&G sales and Sportsmans guide, but that was just about it. Does anyone on here have any ideas of where else to look? IDEALLY, I'd love to get some 70's Portuguese, but I know that is pretty unlikely.

The 50's yugo stuff really isn't that bad. I shoot it out of my mausers all the time and have never had a problem. The Portuguese stuff is rare right now, I should have bought more when it was on the market. I have a feeling the Romanian will return though. Give it a month or two and it will be back. Actually for shootin I prefer the 50's Yugo over the Romanian anyway. The Yugo is loaded hotter and closer to the original German ammo recipe. If you reload, you can make 8mm out of 30-06 brass real easy.

The 50's yugo stuff really isn't that bad. I shoot it out of my mausers all the time and have never had a problem. The Portuguese stuff is rare right now, I should have bought more when it was on the market. I have a feeling the Romanian will return though. Give it a month or two and it will be back. Actually for shootin I prefer the 50's Yugo over the Romanian anyway. The Yugo is loaded hotter and closer to the original German ammo recipe. If you reload, you can make 8mm out of 30-06 brass real easy.

Can i ask how you feel that the rommy ammo will return?

I'm sure Eric and I are thinking along the same lines. All these dealers like to pull the same card, OH NO'S we ran out of this we don't know when we'll ever get it back in. 6 months from now they are like ZOMG'S we found limited quantities in a storage shed over seas and we'll have it back in stock but at 130 instead of 99 dollars.

Now the reason I suspect this is because AIM was running that 99 dollar special forever, and all of a sudden they are just out of stock completely. Normally AIM will send out an email saying we are running low on so and so, so buy it while you can. They never did this with the romy stuff and I have a feeling it's because it wasn't selling. I think people thought it was going to be around forever so they were buying as they needed it.

Now they'll bring it back in 6 months, and you'll watch it disappear at the marked up price. I guarantee it.

I'm sure Eric and I are thinking along the same lines. All these dealers like to pull the same card, OH NO'S we ran out of this we don't know when we'll ever get it back in. 6 months from now they are like ZOMG'S we found limited quantities in a storage shed over seas and we'll have it back in stock but at 130 instead of 99 dollars.

Now the reason I suspect this is because AIM was running that 99 dollar special forever, and all of a sudden they are just out of stock completely. Normally AIM will send out an email saying we are running low on so and so, so buy it while you can. They never did this with the romy stuff and I have a feeling it's because it wasn't selling. I think people thought it was going to be around forever so they were buying as they needed it.

Now they'll bring it back in 6 months, and you'll watch it disappear at the marked up price. I guarantee it.

i bought a bunch of rommy 8mm i ran out of money lol.

I was not sure if they would get any more back, they had some 80's Yugo 8mm that showed up and was sold out withing 6 hours.

it's the same thing as the M44's, ZOMG'S we are out of them. 6 months later oh we found so we don't know how we missed these. The dealers have been pulling this crap for years. Now don't get me wrong, sooner or later they will run out of stuff, but I just don't see it happening yet.

The last I found was from someone selling off their stockpile. I bought some about 500 of yugo and 210 rounds in turkish bandoliers. I always keep an eye out for it in classified on forums, sometimes you get great deals.

Yugo ammo is just as good if not better then the romanian. I use yugo ammo in my K43 and other 8mm guns with no issues. It is cheapest if you pick it up at ammo man. I think i paid $160each for a 900 box out the door. The only real difference is the case metal and primer hardness.

Yugo ammo is just as good if not better then the romanian. I use yugo ammo in my K43 and other 8mm guns with no issues. It is cheapest if you pick it up at ammo man. I think i paid $160each for a 900 box out the door. The only real difference is the case metal and primer hardness.

must have been ages ago i can't rememeber the last time it was 160 a case for 900.

If its 8mm mauser then follow the link

http://ammoman.com/p...user-450-rounds

20 off to pick it up and 3% off if u pay cash

^^ gone....Sovereign Guns doesn't even have their stuff on GB anymore. Gonna run my Hakim, 24/47 and Turks till my stash runs out (2,500 rds) then probably sell for a more available caliber.

Does that Yugo 8mm ammo have hard primers or something? I get quite a few that FTF in my Yugo mauser (Which you would think is made to shoot it) that fire on a second strike.

Very hard primers. Pick up a stronger #22 firing pin spring from Brownells. Problem's gone.

Very hard primers. Pick up a stronger #22 firing pin spring from Brownells. Problem's gone.

can you point me out a link to the actual part? I'm having a hard time finding the spring i need for the Yugo M24/47.

There's a lot of new production, a lot of which can be bought for like $14 a box, not exactly cheap, but honestly you could get into reloading. 8mm mauser is the primary reason i wanted to get into it.