Steve_G

Sub-Compact 9's

I'm looking for a small 9mm that one day I will carry. Whether it's here in nj (with a favorable scotus ruling) or when I am able to escape this place. I want something small, light, very concealable, and most importantly, reliable. I have it narrowed down to a short list and need to go out and see which one feels just right. Any thoughts on these?

Kahr PM9

Sig P290

Glock G26

Walther PPS

Ruger LC9

Can I suggest the HK P7P? Great 100% ambidextrous all metal gun. A variant of it was used by NJ State Police for years. Fixed barrel for unsurpassed accuracy. Manual of arms is different than other guns. If a criminal were to get a hold of it, there is a great chance he wouldbn't know how to operate it.

Not a subcompact..I purchased a EAA witness 9mm compact all steel do not like plastic guns,

cool factor it fits my 1911 holsters..no need to retool... :sarcastichand:

fits the deasantis scorpion IWB holster like a glove.

controls are also in the same place as 1911.

IWB witness compact

OWB 1911

eaacompact001.jpg

I'm looking for a small 9mm that one day I will carry. Whether it's here in nj (with a favorable scotus ruling) or when I am able to escape this place. I want something small, light, very concealable, and most importantly, reliable. I have it narrowed down to a short list and need to go out and see which one feels just right. Any thoughts on these?

Kahr PM9

Sig P290

Glock G26

Walther PPS

Ruger LC9

The only thing I can tell you is the G26 is not small. A common accessory is a mag base plate w/ pinky extension. If you overlay a G26 w/ pinky extension on a G19 compact, the grips are about the same size, just the barrel on a G26 is shorter.

So if you are looking for legitimate small, G26 is not it, though it is ultimately reliable.

Kahr PM9

Sig P290

Glock G26

Walther PPS

Ruger LC9

I have a S&W BG380 and really like it, however there is a few threads going on at the BG Site comparing the BG380 to the DB9

Here is a GB Review:

I haven't seen this gun or touched it but I will take a look at it when I am at a shop that has it.

Harry

The LC9 is what I plan to buy. Here's why:

- 9mm is cheaper and more powerful than .380

- locking action rather than blow back which means less recoil

- it's thinner than a G26 or the Kimber Solo

- it has a pinky extension on the base pad if you want it.

- the prices on the Kimber Solo are outrageous as it just came out

Jim Flynn has the LC9 for $330.

• Like 1

The LC9 is what I plan to buy. Here's why:

- 9mm is cheaper and more powerful than .380

- locking action rather than blow back which means less recoil

- it's thinner than a G26 or the Kimber Solo

- it has a pinky extension on the base pad if you want it.

- the prices on the Kimber Solo are outrageous as it just came out

Jim Flynn has the LC9 for $330.

You're a "string bean" Just strap on a G19 discretely and you're good to go. You know, one of those nice flowered vacation shirts...

Doesn't take up much room in the console and 15 rounds of GLOCK goodness as Ray Ray would say.

Michael- Just looked at the LC9... VERY Nice. $330 a deal!

You're a "string bean" Just strap on a G19 discretely and you're good to go. You know, one of those nice flowered vacation shirts...

Doesn't take up much room in the console and 15 rounds of GLOCK goodness as Ray Ray would say.

Michael- Just looked at the LC9... VERY Nice. $330 a deal!

Frank:

I got a good deal on an H&K USP Compact in .45ACP. Pretty much the same dimensions as a G19 but with eight to ten rounds of .45 extra goodness. I shot it for the first time a Cherry Ridge last week. Very accurate for a compact.

The LC9 is going to be my "summer" gun.

that lc9 is a sweet piece. For all the reasons mentioned here already. Got to hoold one yesterday and it was nice.

Two things that make it Suck. 1 is the magazine disconnect and 2 is the single sided thumb safety. Pocket guns shouldn't have safeties or magazine disconnect safeties.

I'm surprised Glock hasn't simply made the following:

1. A single-stack slim-9mm

2. A friggin pistol carbine

I dont know if its true but I read that the 26/27 is the smallest size that can be imported into the US. Any smaller and its considered a sat. night special. I think that at one point glock put adj. target sights on them and then switched them to fixed in the Georgia HQ to help get them allowed in.

Bobz it has nothing to do with "Saturday Night Special". A phrase drummed up during late 60's-early 80's to spice up an article. The equivalent of the AR today with all it's negative connotation's.

Now back to the Glock sizes:

Many of the Glock's parts and sometimes the whole gun are dictated or limited by the BATF's system of "import points". To qualify for import a pistol must score 75 points based on the following system:

Characteristic Points

Length: for each 1/4" over 6" 1

Forged steel frame 15

Forged HTS alloy frame 20

Unloaded weight w/mag (per oz.) 1

.22 short and .25 auto 0

.22 LR and 7.65mm to .380 auto 3

9mm parabellum and over 10

Locked breech mechanism 5

Loaded chamber indicator 5

Grip safety 3

Magazine safety 5

Firing pin block or lock 10

External hammer 2

Double action 10

Drift adjustable target sight 5

Click adjustable target sight 10

Target grips 5

Target trigger 2

For example, here is how the G17 scores: Length (7.28") 5

Weight (24.79oz) 25

Caliber (9mm) 10

Locked breech 5

Firing pin block 10

Double action 10

Target sight 10

Target grips 5

Total 80

Here is how the Glock 26 scores: Length (6.29") 1

Weight (21.87oz) 22

Caliber (9mm) 10

Locked breech 5

Firing pin block 10

Double action 10

Target sight 10

Target grips 5

Target trigger 2

Total 75

Changes and features made to Glocks to comply with the BATF rules:

- all models are imported with a cheap click-adjustable rear sight that is replaced at the factory with the stock sight

- target (grooved) trigger added to compacts & subcompacts

- target grips added to all models (required for the subcompacts)

- due to their caliber, .380 autos (G25 & G2icon_cool.gif do not score enough points to be importe

Hope this helps.

I spent about an hour today fondling some of these sub compact 9's. I went in with 9 models on my list and they had 7 in stock. At this point I have it narrowed down to 2. The Walther PPS and the Kahr PM9. I need to shoot them both to really make up my mind. The PPS felt perfect in my hand and the only negative I could find was the mag release. Nothing wrong with it, just different. The Kahr actually felt a little small but, the 7 round mag would fix that. Both had really nice triggers. Just a matter of how I shoot them.

On a side note. I have never been much of a fan of NJ Firearms Guild, was never made to feel comfortable there. Well, looks like they have a couple new guys working there now. One of them, Rob, was very helpful and seemed to enjoy playin with the guns as much as I did. I was pleasantly surprised, especially since I told him from the start, I was there to look at these guns and see which ones fit my hand the best. I made it clear that I was just narrowing it down and then I would have to shoot the ones that I liked. In other words, there would be no sale today. He understood and was very helpful. Enough so that I may even give them a shot at the sale once I reach my final deciscion.

The DB380 is almost the same as the DB9.

If you're interested in the DB380 or DB9 - check out this site.

http://mousegunaddict.blogspot.com/

Thanks, I saw that. I think my mind is pretty much made up though. The PPS would have to really suck to not end up in my safe.

I spent about an hour today fondling some of these sub compact 9's. I went in with 9 models on my list and they had 7 in stock. At this point I have it narrowed down to 2. The Walther PPS and the Kahr PM9. I need to shoot them both to really make up my mind. The PPS felt perfect in my hand and the only negative I could find was the mag release. Nothing wrong with it, just different. The Kahr actually felt a little small but, the 7 round mag would fix that. Both had really nice triggers. Just a matter of how I shoot them.

On a side note. I have never been much of a fan of NJ Firearms Guild, was never made to feel comfortable there. Well, looks like they have a couple new guys working there now. One of them, Rob, was very helpful and seemed to enjoy playin with the guns as much as I did. I was pleasantly surprised, especially since I told him from the start, I was there to look at these guns and see which ones fit my hand the best. I made it clear that I was just narrowing it down and then I would have to shoot the ones that I liked. In other words, there would be no sale today. He understood and was very helpful. Enough so that I may even give them a shot at the sale once I reach my final deciscion.

I really respect that you said that! It is often forgotten that the brick and mortar stores have overhead and difficulty competing.

I would hope even if they are 20 dollars or so more you buy from them as thay carried the inventory that allowed you to make your decision.

Thanks for having integrity and not being an "el cheapo", we have too many of them here already.

I really respect that you said that! It is often forgotten that the brick and mortar stores have overhead and difficulty competing.

I would hope even if they are 20 dollars or so more you buy from them as thay carried the inventory that allowed you to make your decision.

Thanks for having integrity and not being an "el cheapo", we have too many of them here already.

As long as they come within $50, they will get the deal. I do prefer to support the LGS. In the past I have had real attitude problems from them. I keep going back beacause they do have a nice selection. Now, when I do go to purchase, if I'm greeted with attitude or ignored, well, that's a different story. Hopefully, they are making an effort to change their rep.