CAPTAIN

M&P 9mm Pro Series or 9L?

I recently shot a friends M&P 9mm Pro Series out in PA, and have decided that I NEED one!

My question is, can I even get one in NJ? I went to and called a couple shops/ranges and no one has one in stock, and couldn't tell me when they could get it in, possibly a month or two, maybe more.

I then spoke to another shop that told me he thinks he can't get it in NJ because the Pro only comes in the 17 round.

Any truth to this?

Anyone know where I can obtain one? I have a permit that expires in a few weeks.

I'd settle for the 9L, but I'd prefer the Pro Series 9mm.

Both guns are avail in NJ.

the 9mm full size comes in two flavors, 10rnd mags, and 17 rnd mags. Obviously, we cant do 17rnds here. So you can only purchase it with 10rnd mags for the ban states.

Having said that, the M&P 9L is discontinued, so you have to find one somewhere in inventory. the 9Pro should be avail.

Personally, I would recommend the 9L, and then to upgrade the trigger. End result, better feeling gun.

If you want a gun to buy and not mess with that is a step above the basic one, then get the 9Pro.

Edit... Also Smith & Wesson does make 15 round magazines for the full size 9mm, however you have to order them, they are not shipped with any guns.

I then spoke to another shop that told me he thinks he can't get it in NJ because the Pro only comes in the 17 round.

Any truth to this?

I went through the same thing recently. (Do a search for some of my other posts expressing my frustration.) I was told by two gun shops that the M&P 9mm Pro is not available in NJ due to the 17 round mags. Not content with that answer, I called S&W, not once, but two or three times, and was told each time that they will not ship it to NJ due to the mag limit. And no, they won't take the mags out and either swap them for 10 round mags or take them out completely. I asked them all that.

I suppose one could have it shipped to an out of state FFL, who could swap the mags out, then shipped to an FFL in NJ.

I found it easier to get a Glock 34, which has some of the same features I liked about the M&P Pro, including a longer barrel; and I'm getting a full size M&P 9mm. FYI, I'm pretty sure you can get the M&P Pro in .40 S&W or .45 ACP, because the mags are NJ legal.

Wowser, I take it back. I am looking at the smith wesson site and do not see the Pro series listed with the 10 round mags.

Best advice, ask dealer to hold the mags and buy some 10 or 15 rounders.

Sounds like S&W won't ship the Pro to any dealer in NJ.

Sounds like S&W won't ship the Pro to any dealer in NJ.

Dealers don't buy them from S&W, they buy them from distributors. Sig and Glock are direct from factory if i am not mistaken.

the other option is to buy the guy on gunbroker, and tell the person to hold the mags.

Dealers don't buy them from S&W, they buy them from distributors. Sig and Glock are direct from factory if i am not mistaken.

the other option is to buy the guy on gunbroker, and tell the person to hold the mags.

Sigs and Glocks are also through distribution though if you buy enough, you can get them direct.

I have a Pro that has been a host for my suppressor that I may be convinced to part with. Has the APEX DCAEK installed too.

G and R Tactical gandrtactical.com will sell you the gun with 15 round magazines. They also have excellent prices and service and will install Apex parts and sights.

There is a general shortage of M&P's right now due to some large agency purchases. You might need to put yourself on G&R's list and wait a bit.

Someone on the Brian Enos forums is selling a M&P 9 Pro. You could probably buy it from him without the mags.

http://www.brianenos.com/forums/index.php?showtopic=135483&pid=1523980&st=0entry1523980

Edit: Note - you have to sign up for the forums and be logged on to view it.

Edited by Krdshrk

Another option is to just get a regular 9L and get either apex parts (way better than the pro sear) or get a true gunsmith trigger job (way, way, way better than the pro sear!). I opted for the 9L, partly due to the difficulty of getting the Pro 5" with jersey legal mags and put in Sevigny sights and had a trigger job done on mine. Its a slight bit more money than the apex parts, but the action is far superior. You even save money getting the non-Pro model but its getting harder to find them every day. The problem is that if you get the pro and you don't like the sights/trigger, you wasted money if you just go out and replace them again.