diamondd817

How Many Handgun Permits at 1 Time?

I applied for 6 at one time (my father was giving me a few of his old collectible guns so I needed multiple permits). They don't expire for 90 days. You can use one on the first day you get them. A second 30 days later and a 3rd 30 days after that. You can then have the additional permits extended for 90 days and start over again.

Much easier and quicker to have permits extended than to have have to go thru the whole application process again.

:thsmiley_deadhorse:

You can apply for as many as you want. Your PD can not restrict the quantity. It has been posted many times here. Call the NJSP Firearms Unit and tell them what your PD is doing. It will be straightened out ASAP.

I always recommend getting six per application. That allows you to purchase OGAM every thirty days with an extension on three of them.

ETA: Late again. :facepalm:

• Like 1

How many handgun permits are you allowed to apply for at 1 time?

Given the 30 day restriction I guess only 2 would be feasible if they had the same issue date. The PD told me I can only apply for 1 permit every 30 days and not 2 at once.

The PD told you WRONG. You are allowed to apply for as many as you want. It's one handgun a month, not 1 pistol permit. Best bet is to apply for 6. You can use 3 in the 3 months time, then you can get an extension for the other 3.

You might be able to use (6) if you renewed three of them. But, realistically, it seems that at most (5) would be practical.

You might be able to use (6) if you renewed three of them. But, realistically, it seems that at most (5) would be practical.

6 is very doable, actually if you buy on the first day they are issued you would have 24 extra days left over at the end if following the rule to a T and buying as soon as you were able to buy the next gun.

I just did this for the PD I am dealing with because they didn't believe it. I used Jan 1st 2012 as the fist gun purchase and the dates work out as follows.

Jan 1 #1

Feb 1 # 2

Mar 3 # 3

Apr 3 # 4

May 4 # 5

Jun 4 # 6

180 total would end on Jun 28, plenty of time to make up for if day 31 fell on a Sunday and you needed a NICS check.

And yes I can use each of the permits and have a gun in mind already for each but cash is the problem. :icon_mrgreen:

Harry

See this sticky:

http://njgunforums.c...not-be-limited/

It contains a letter from the NJSP to all Chiefs with a paragraph stating that municipal PD's may not limit PPP's.

You can print it out and show it to your PD personnel to solve the problem.

What township are you in?

That was Nutley. It was months ago. I no longer live there and just wanted to make sure I can apply for 2 before I go to the new PD. I really don't need six. I only have 2 pistols I want to buy.

That was Nutley. It was months ago. I no longer live there and just wanted to make sure I can apply for 2 before I go to the new PD. I really don't need six. I only have 2 pistols I want to buy.

Get more, you say you only want 2 but there have been a dozen guns in the last few months that I would have jumped on in our market section just to have for what they were going for. Remember guns are an investment, yea, that it, guns re an investment. :icon_mrgreen:

Harry

+1 to Paul and others. You can apply for as many as you want.

You can even use as many as you want if you apply for exemption.

In any case, you are spending time and money going to apply for Pistol Permits, why would you not want to save yourself alot of time and aggravation and get more?

At the very least, I apply for 6 permits, each permit is an additional $2. Cheap insurance if you ask me, especially since deals come up.

As an added note, it will cost you $30 every six months ($18 app fee + $2/permit). If you overlap your applications by a month or two (dependent on how long your PD issues them) you will ALWAYS have a permit in hand ready to buy. What if a smoking deal comes up or someone wants to give you a handgun? :girlwerewolf:

Also, return the unused permits back to the PD after the six months if not used.

Detective told me I can only legally apply for 3 at one time.

Hanover Township, NJ

So now they have changed their tune from the initial, only one, to three, and they are still WRONG. If you want to apply for 100 permits you can. The PD cannot dictate how many permits you apply for, nor can they restrict the number issued, if you meet the criteria.

You need to call the NJSP Firearms Unit and have them contact your PD to straighten them out. Or, simply take in a copy of the letter that the NJSP sent out to loacl PD's advising them of this.

With extensions, without exercising and exemptions, you can use 5 (maybe 6, but I'm too lazy to count it out). However, if you take advantage of some of the exemptions in the OGAM law, you may use many more than that.

It would be nice if those empowered to enforce the law, actually knew the law. (Not a LEO bash - directed at this specific department).

Adios,

Pizza Bob

Did you look at the document attached to that thread? It is something that you can print and show them if you have any trouble.

Even without the exemption one may acquire more than one handgun within 30 days, i.e.

this limitation shall not apply to any transaction where the person has purchased a handgun from a licensed retail dealer and has returned that handgun to the dealer in exchange for another handgun within 30 days of the original transaction, provided the retail dealer reports the exchange transaction to the superintendent

I applied for 6 at one time (my father was giving me a few of his old collectible guns so I needed multiple permits). They don't expire for 90 days. You can use one on the first day you get them. A second 30 days later and a 3rd 30 days after that. You can then have the additional permits extended for 90 days and start over again.

Much easier and quicker to have permits extended than to have have to go thru the whole application process again.

Yea, stupid a** me didn't realize I could have applied for more than (1) at a time. So now, I'm stuck waiting for my (1) get be approved, so I can go back 30-days later and go though the same crap for a couple more. Live and learn, I guess.

Yea, stupid a** me didn't realize I could have applied for more than (1) at a time. So now, I'm stuck waiting for my (1) get be approved, so I can go back 30-days later and go though the same crap for a couple more. Live and learn, I guess.

Just have the PD amend the application for how many you want. If they won't do that, submit another application now.

Why wait until your permit is ready? You can apply for more permits now , while you're still waiting.

EDIT: I didn't see PK90's post first, as he said try to get them to amend the app I've done that several times.

I got to say, I really think this whole separate permit to purchase a handgun thing is really stupid. I mean you have to go through the same drawn out process everytime including a retarded 1 per 30 day period. Like it really matters? I heard the argument that you might have shot and killed someone from your last handgun purchase so we have to check you out again for this purchase. But really? Like I don't have my FID card and can go out and buy a much more deadly rifle or shotgun at will? I don't get it. You think the state would rather collect the increased tax revenue and help improve the economy from multiple and faster pistol purchases.

Idiots.

FWIW - The person being addressed in NB is a good friend of mine and is pro gun for legal owners. He, like the rest of us, doesn't make the laws and has to follow the orders of his superiors and the quirks of the NJSP. I'm telling you, he is a great guy.

PS - Not meant at anyone in particular, but you'd be surprised at how many agencies read these forums and how word gets around. Exercise good judgement...like not listing your collection, especially if it is something non-NJ compliant or in that large gray zone this state loves to have. Just a tip from your friendly neighborhood Spydur man.

I applied for 6 at one time. They don't expire for 90 days. You can use one on the first day you get them. A second 30 days later and a 3rd 30 days after that. You can then have the additional permits extended for 90 days and start over again.

what he said!

FWIW - The person being addressed in NB is a good friend of mine and is pro gun for legal owners. He, like the rest of us, doesn't make the laws and has to follow the orders of his superiors and the quirks of the NJSP. I'm telling you, he is a great guy.

PS - Not meant at anyone in particular, but you'd be surprised at how many agencies read these forums and how word gets around. Exercise good judgement...like not listing your collection, especially if it is something non-NJ compliant or in that large gray zone this state loves to have. Just a tip from your friendly neighborhood Spydur man.

What's NB? Nutley or North Bergen? If your talking about Nutley, then yes, the firearms guy was a great guy, unfortunately, he got laid off from the department in Jan, 11.

I hope some agencies read the posts so they also realize how stupid the NJ procedures and rules are. Maybe they will speak out too.

The 15 rd mag thing too. Ok, so you cant do any harm with a 15 rd mag, but a 17rd, oh boy watch out. Because of this rule I dont buy full size 9mm handguns.