chuckdeez

.22 SEMI SHOOTOUT!!

I have permits in process, my references have rec'd and returned their letters. My choices are the following:

S&W M&P 22 Pistol

Ruger 22/45 w/replaceable panels

GSG/Sig 1911

***not quite in the same class, possibly a Beretta 87 (not target**

I have had bad experiences shooting both a buckmark and mosquito, so they have been excluded with prejudice. I also have a smith 6 shot 617, so my revolver needs are covered.

My first requirement is reliability. At least to the extent .22 semis can be reliable. As for looks, I would much rather have the M&P or GSG over the Ruger. I reeeeallllly like the GSG. However, I feel by design the Ruger is more durable, and will hold up to the punishment of being mercilessly fed brick after brick. Please help me make my decision.

The 22/45 simply because it mimics the grip angle of my xd a bit more. Plus I've always been jealous of 1911 owners who get to change grip panels on their guns. I think we just eliminated one of the contenders. NEW TOPIC!!!!!!!!!!! 22/45 VS GSG 1911 22. I need to fingerbang a GSG somewhere.

The 22/45 simply because it mimics the grip angle of my xd a bit more. Plus I've always been jealous of 1911 owners who get to change grip panels on their guns. I think we just eliminated one of the contenders. NEW TOPIC!!!!!!!!!!! 22/45 VS GSG 1911 22. I need to fingerbang a GSG somewhere.

If you want a good target pistol. The mk3 22/45 with the bull barrel is the way to go. Save the money and get a real 1911.

While the Rugers might not have the look that some people are after, they are great shooters.

I've liked them since I first saw one. Anyone know how much modification is required to change the grip panels on the RP model? Most of the info on the web deals with the older models without the replaceable grips, and the stuff about the RP is sort of ambiguous, like yeah it works with 'most' 1911 grips. I dont get it. How can they be different?

You should get whichever most closely resembles the ergonomics and action of what you have or will get. Afterall, the main purpose is to be able to get more trigger time at a cheaper cost. You should really think about what your future plans are and factor that in.

I ended up with an M&P 22 and have zero regrets. I usually go through 500+ rounds in a range session and it costs me less than $20. It would be fairly costly if I did that many rounds with larger calibers (I don't reload...yet). Cost aside, the main reason I chose the M&P 22 is the fact that I can shoot larger caliber M&P's and have the same "feel" since the 22 is nearly identical in shape/size (although lighter) as the larger caliber M&Ps.

You should get whichever most closely resembles the ergonomics and action of what you have or will get. Afterall, the main purpose is to be able to get more trigger time at a cheaper cost. You should really think about what your future plans are and factor that in.

I ended up with an M&P 22 and have zero regrets. I usually go through 500+ rounds in a range session and it costs me less than $20. It would be fairly costly if I did that many rounds with larger calibers (I don't reload...yet). Cost aside, the main reason I chose the M&P 22 is the fact that I can shoot larger caliber M&P's and have the same "feel" since the 22 is nearly identical in shape/size (although lighter) as the larger caliber M&Ps.

Not that you are wrong, but the main purpose may not be that. He said the first thing was reliability. So that (what you said) may not necessarily be the case. I know the main purpose of my .22 pistol is NOT just so I get more trigger time, or to help me shoot my center fire pistols. It is a target pistol for target shooting.

However, if that is the case, then I agree. I am also tempted to get a M&P 22 as I do have an M&9 9 already...however I would rather buy a shotgun or another rifle as I don't like shooting pistols as much.

To help the OP...

All three are quite different styles of .22 pistol. It is hard to help you chose because of such. If you do in fact prefer something that is like a centerfire pistol, then based on what you shoot, get the one close to that (1911 vs M&P). If you want a .22 to plink or target shoot with, I say go with the Ruger (either 22/45 or Mk II or III). Personally, I prefer the Mk III grip angle to the 22/45, but that is entirely personal preference.

I reeeeallllly like the GSG.

Then go for that one.

As long as it's not a duty or carry weapon, it's perfectly OK to factor looks into your choice. If you buy a gun that you don't like, it will be 100% unreliable because it'll sit in your safe and you'll never use it.

I have this coming to me this week sometime. I love the .22LR round and the looks/feel of the 1911, so this should really be a nice gun. Based on all the reviews and looks of all the 1911 based .22LR guns, I choose this one by Colt/Umarex.

th_2245705_rs.jpg

th_2245705_ls.jpg

I know the main purpose of my .22 pistol is NOT just so I get more trigger time, or to help me shoot my center fire pistols. It is a target pistol for target shooting.

Thats pretty much it. I figure any of the choices will improve my overall pistol skills, but Im not one of those people who think that .22 is just a trainer for real guns. Its just another caliber choice, except it happens to be cheap and versatile. I <3 .22 Im gonna make the rounds this week. The shops that are in my radius would be Silver Bullet, Meltzers, Ramsey Outdoor, and Bullet Hole. Im trying to support forum vendors but everyone is down south jersey.