7-3-2

To anyone who has any objections, speak up now.

Okay so seeing how I called about my permit today and was told the lady just had to finish typing it up and send it to the chief to get it signed, I'm taking that as a hint that ill be receiving a call from the P.D.to come pick up my permit in the next few days.

So I've pretty much made up my mind that the newest addition to my collection will be the GP100 .357mag 4" in stainless . Before I run out and make that purchase I am just asking everyone here for any reasons why I should go in another direction(revolvers only as I made my mind up that I really want to own my first wheelgun). If not, forever hold your peace.

That's cool your permits are almost ready, I know that feeling of excitement after waiting what seems like forever!

I don't think many handguns are 'bad' first handguns. The only thing I will say, at least in my opinion, is that when I first got my FID and permits, I wanted to shoot A LOT and I wanted to not be spending so much damn money...so bought a .22 pistol. For me, I wanted to learn how to shoot well along with a good technique and such with something that didn't have a lot of recoil, but even more important, wouldn't be so expensive to shoot. I could blow 500rds at a range session and be out 20 bucks, it was awesome! Then of course after that, I started getting handguns in more powerful calibers.

With that said, just remember that .357mag is a rather expensive cartridge. I don't own anything in that caliber, but when browsing ammo, I see it runs high teens and low 20's for a box of 50rds. Personally, if I were you, I would get something that is a little cheaper so you are allowed to shoot more and more often. Of course, it is all about your financial background as well. if you can buy a case of .357 with an easy swipe of a card, then obviously you don't have to worry about the cost of shooting. But if you're like most of us, shooting your .357 is going to get expensive quick, especially if it's your only gun. And yes, I know most .357's can shoot .38sp and that is a viable option, but I believe .38sp is mid-teens to high teens for a box.

If you need to watch your spending and you're content shooting infrequently and not much, than I would say go for it.

If you don't need to watch your spending, I'd say go for it.

If you wanna get into the sport of shooting and wanna shoot a lot, I would look for a 9mm revolver or something of the sort that isn't so expensive to stock up on.

Personally, I'd rather buy a 9mm that I can shoot 200rds at the range every other week rather than a .45/.44/.357 that I can shoot only 200rds once a month. Do you understand what I am getting at? I tend to ramble haha...

Oh I totally understand your stance on the cost of ammo as my pockets are FAR from bottomless lol. I already have a M&P in 9mm and love that gun however was leaning more towards a revolver because of the home defense advantages I believe a revolver has over a semiauto ... Specifically if its sitting aded in the safe you don't have to worry about mag springs setting. My second gun option was actually a .22lr for the very reasons you stated. But I always figure if I wanted to go to the range and rent a gun and shoot its cheaper to do so with a .22 than to do so with a .357 because of ammo costs at ranges. It is funny you mentioned the positives of a .22 though because that is the other option I had in mind.

mag springs wear from cycling (loading and unloading), not from sitting in either condition for any period of time.

I think you will enjoy the GP100

Well I'd rather not have to worry about setting of mag springs at all as far as home defense goes (God forbid it ever came down to it). Plus .22lr guns usually go for a little cheaper than the GP100 so I figure it would be easier to stow away some money to grab one of those than it would the other way around since eventually I hope to own one (or more :icon_e_biggrin: lol ) of each.

I think their are plenty of benefits of .22. For me though, I have found .22 rifles to be somewhat boring (GSG, M4 .22's, etc) yet my Henry lever action is so much fun. I think I will stick to 'battle'? rifles in their common calibers (762, 545, etc). But the funny thing is, I NEVER get bored of my P22. It is a lot of fun and I find it's great in helping a new shooter become acquired to pistols, especially when I started helping my girlfriend handle pistols more comfortably.

To buy a revolver because you're scared about mag springs failing is...um...a bad excuse? That is the absolute last thing you should be worried about. If you're REALLY worried about that, just buy a couple new mags every other year and you're set. If you just generally prefer or want a revolver for your next pistol, just say so! No one is going to pressure you into a semi auto or anything haha, or I doubt that at least! Revolvers are cool. I prefer semi auto's but I still love to shoot revolvers, but hey, that's just me.

And going back to ammo, I think .357mag is a great round for self defense/home defense but make sure you practice enough with your new revolver to be ready if the situation arises. I didn't realize you already had another pistol, so I take back all that 'first pistol' talk.

Hey by the way, not to thread jack, but how do you like your m&p 9? I plan on getting another pistol in the near future and that is on the top of my list. How is the trigger? I find the m&p to be so comfortable, ALMOST as comfortable as my 75b. I've read that the m&p's are double action? I must say, I am not a fan o double action but I guess I need to shoot one before I judge it.

I absolutely Love the M&P 9 personally it fits my hand like a glove with the large palm swell in. Compared to the other polymers I've shot its seems to handle recoil a lot better too, but that might come down to it just being more comfortable in my hand therefor easier to control. The trigger is pretty nice but I'm pretty sure I might swing for the trigger job just because after reading the reviews of how well the trigger feels after the upgrade it sounds like its totally worth it. I wouldnt say the trigger is bad stock just any chance to improve any aspect of the gun is always intriguing to me. I guess the only upgrades I think the gun could use is maybe night sights and the aforementioned trigger job but neither are a necessity. I would definitely recommend the M&P as I personally think its probably the most comfortable stock handgun I've ever held in my hands and has been 100% reliable. I only have one tiny scratch on the inside of the ejector port on the slide but that came from dry firing with snap caps and my dumb @ss not racking the slide hard enough so the cap didnt eject all the way lol.

called about my permit today and was told the lady just had to finish typing it up and send it to the chief to get it signed, I'm taking that as a hint that ill be receiving a call from the P.D.to come

will watch thread too see when permit is done, i found when i am told this just something they tell you to make you go away..

called about my permit today and was told the lady just had to finish typing it up and send it to the chief to get it signed, I'm taking that as a hint that ill be receiving a call from the P.D.to come

will watch thread too see when permit is done, i found when i am told this just something they tell you to make you go away..

Well I hope its not the case ... the lady had called me about sending in proof of employment a few weeks ago so I did that next day (my job says they never got the papers :angry:

I called today to verify that she had gotten the proof of employment just because she wasnt in when I stopped by and I had given them to somebody else ... anyways, she asked my name and gave me the line about "i just need to finish typing it up and then I have to put it on the Chiefs desk so he can sign it". Hopefully shes not just feeding me some BS.

dont get your hopes up. i was told my town was waiting 'for a box of permits to come from the state police.' yet ray was told the same thing, and he lives in bayonne. it took me almost 3 months to get mine.

I always call at the 2 week and 3 week mark and just see how they are doing and ask if there is anything that I can do on my end to help. I never get the it's 30 days and I want my permit attitude and just this last time It was just at 34 days and that was because they sat on the chiefs desk from Friday to Monday before he signed them.

I am in Sayreville and they are pretty good with Permits, even though I have pointed out that they are allowed to issue more than 3 at a time, still haven';t solved that issue but will be bringing the letter from the NJSP in regards to this to them this week so hopefully that will change.

As far as permits sitting on the chiefs desk, if you are told they are there and not signed in 2 or 3 business days, I would be on the phone with the chief inquiring when he may be able to get to them, and if you don't get a satisfactory answer from him, I'd be talking to the Mayor ASAP. Nice is the way to go but there is a point that being nice and the squeaky wheel gig just stops working and you need to go another route as a last resort.

Harry

Another thing I'm interested in is the 327 Fed cartridge for the revolver. I could also lower costs by using 32 S&W long and its supposed to be a good home defense round ... plus it just plain interests me to have something different lol. What do you guys think? Anyone have experience with how much 32 S&W ammo goes for in these parts?

Anyone have experience with how much 32 S&W ammo goes for in these parts?

.32 S&W Long

.32 H&R Mag

.327 Federal Mag

All hard to find and NOT cheap

I think the .327 Mag is a great cartridge with a very specific pigeonhole into which it fits. It is not a good cartridge for something you wish to shoot a lot - nor are the guns chambered for it conducive to that kind of use. If you want a wheel gun, get a .22 a .38 or a .357.

JMHO

Adios,

Pizza Bob

.32 S&W Long

.32 H&R Mag

.327 Federal Mag

All hard to find and NOT cheap

I think the .327 Mag is a great cartridge with a very specific pigeonhole into which it fits. It is not a good cartridge for something you wish to shoot a lot - nor are the guns chambered for it conducive to that kind of use. If you want a wheel gun, get a .22 a .38 or a .357.

JMHO

Adios,

Pizza Bob

Well that ends that thought as I'm not looking to have to have to go searching for rounds and paying a ridiculous amount in order to just practice with the gun.

I am just waiting for the "One Gun a Month" thing to end so that I can go and pickup my new Ruger SP101 (22LR).

I think a heavier 4" revolver in .357/.38 would be nice for a home defense gun. A .357 can be hard to control, and it would be difficult for follow-up shots, but it also shoots .38. Also, a .357, even in a 4" barrel, will produce a lot of muzzle flash that can be blinding. But, you can get some souped-up .38 HPs and put in it for home defense and they would probably work better for the control and less flash. A heavier, large-framed revolver would also have less recoil and would be better for you, or a significant other, to handle. You could use the automatic and she could use the revolver (Although, she might go to jail for using YOUR gun, even in self-defense, and with HPs which would probably tack on more jail time).

In particular, I think a GP100 is a good choice because it is rugged and you can opt to replace with night sights. I think a single night sight on the front would be particularly effective. But, if you don't want to go that route and replace the sights, then you might want to consider an older used service revolver in .38 for your purposes, such as S&W Model 10 and use the savings to put toward the 22 revolver which would probably become your most shot gun.

In particular, I think a 22LR revolver is nice because it is cheap to shoot and will handle a variety of ammo. It would also be good in a survival/SHTF situation because of versatility, availability, etc. And, its probably faster to reload during practice than an automatic .22.

A 9mm double-action revolver might be nice. I would consider the Charter Arms CARR if it ever gets released, although it seems like it would come with a snubby barrel and thus have a pretty good kick. However, any 9mm revolvers are rare and require those metal clips (unless the CARR becomes available), and expensive and I imagine that the .38/.357 is more versatile.

If you were going to use your S&W M&P 9mm for defense, which I think would be a good idea, you would have more options in what to get in a revolver. You wouldn't have to worry about defense per say, and you might consider a single action. I personally would have no trouble leaving a couple of tested magazines from MODERN semi-automatic pistol (200 plus rounds shot through them without a problem) for 4-5 years (or even 10) without worrying about the springs.

For an all out survivalist-type gun, you might want to see if you can locate a Ruger Blackhawk single action w/ an extra cylinder. I believe one distributor has them in stainless with about a 4-5" barrel and you could get one that handles (.357/.38/9mm). Now that would be versatile and fun to shoot. I don't mind the reloading and continually cocking the hammer. I have been told that the 9mm setup cylinder isn't as accurate as it could be because of the space, but that it will get he job done. That would give you flexibility with sharing of cartridges with your M&P and the cheaper pricing of the 9mm to use. And, you would conserve Ammo and think about your shots, more. And it still could be used as a home defense or backup home defense gun.

Or, another option would be a Ruger Single Six w/ an extra cylinder. It would be cheap to shoot the 22LR, and it you got the 6 plus in barrel it would be pretty accurate. And, the .22WMR cylinder would give you penetration capabilities. Ruger has a Single 10 that would be nice and you can load 2 at a time, but no 22 Magnum cylinder for it, yet.

An older Ruger Speed/Security Six might also be a really nice gun, if you could find one and didn't need to update the sights.

If it was me in your situation, I would probably go with the Ruger SP101 22LR and use the money that you will save in ammo to put toward a GP100 at a later point and time.

Regardless, no matter what you get, a quality revolver is a joy and will be something that you can pass down.

I am just waiting for the "One Gun a Month" thing to end so that I can go and pickup my new Ruger SP101 (22LR).

I think a heavier 4" revolver in .357/.38 would be nice for a home defense gun. A .357 can be hard to control, and it would be difficult for follow-up shots, but it also shoots .38. Also, a .357, even in a 4" barrel, will produce a lot of muzzle flash that can be blinding. But, you can get some souped-up .38 HPs and put in it for home defense and they would probably work better for the control and less flash. A heavier, large-framed revolver would also have less recoil and would be better for you, or a significant other, to handle. You could use the automatic and she could use the revolver (Although, she might go to jail for using YOUR gun, even in self-defense, and with HPs which would probably tack on more jail time).

In particular, I think a GP100 is a good choice because it is rugged and you can opt to replace with night sights. I think a single night sight on the front would be particularly effective. But, if you don't want to go that route and replace the sights, then you might want to consider an older used service revolver in .38 for your purposes, such as S&W Model 10 and use the savings to put toward the 22 revolver which would probably become your most shot gun.

In particular, I think a 22LR revolver is nice because it is cheap to shoot and will handle a variety of ammo. It would also be good in a survival/SHTF situation because of versatility, availability of ammo, etc. And, its probably faster to reload during practice than an automatic .22.

A 9mm double-action revolver might be nice. I would consider the Charter Arms CARR if it ever gets released, although it seems like it would come with a snubby barrel and thus have a pretty good kick. I would prefer at least a longer barrel. However, any 9mm revolvers are rare and expensive and I imagine that the .38/.357 animal is more versatile.

If you were going to use your S&W M&P 9mm for defense, which I think would be a good idea, you would have more options in what to get in a revolver since you would not be depending on it for self-defense. You might be able to consider a single action for example, and or a 22LR. I personally would have no trouble leaving a couple of tested magazines from MODERN semi-automatic pistol (200 plus rounds shot through them without a problem) for 4-5 years (or even 10) without worrying about the springs. Just leave one less round in the magazine.

For an all out survivalist-type gun, you might want to see if you can locate a Ruger Blackhawk single action w/ an extra cylinder. I believe one distributor has them in stainless with about a 4-5" barrel and you could get one that handles (.357/.38/9mm). Now that would be versatile and fun to shoot. I don't mind the reloading and continually cocking the hammer. I have been told that the 9mm cylinder lacks a little in accuracy, but I am sure that it will get he job done. That would give you flexibility with sharing of cartridges with your M&P and the cheaper pricing of the 9mm to use. And, you would conserve Ammo and think about your shots, more.

Or, another option would be a Ruger Single Six w/ an extra cylinder. It would be cheap to shoot the 22LR, and it you got the 6 plus in barrel it would be pretty accurate. And, the .22WMR cylinder would give you penetration capabilities. Ruger has a Single 10 that would be nice and you can load 2 at a time, but no 22 Magnum cylinder for it, yet.

An older Ruger Speed/Security Six might also be a really nice gun, if you could find one and didn't need to update the sights.

If it was me in your situation, I would probably go with the .22LR double action revolver to begin with such as the new Ruger SP101, unless you wanted to arm both yourself and another in your household. If you went this route, you could pickup a used GP100 with the ammo savings from shooting the 22LR, later on, and yet you would still get a lot of practice.

Regardless, no matter what you get, a quality revolver is a joy and will be something that you can pass down.

• Like 1

My nightstand piece is an SP101, loaded with 38+p. The GP is equally as awesome. Im a believer in the simplicity/safety of a DA revolver for HD. For times you are handling the loaded gun in a scenario where you dont actually intend to defend yourself, it's easier to tell the status of a revolver, and more difficult to fire the weapon unintentionally than a typical semi auto. That, plus the 38/357 versatility etc. Go for it.

Another thing I'm interested in is the 327 Fed cartridge for the revolver. I could also lower costs by using 32 S&W long and its supposed to be a good home defense round ... plus it just plain interests me to have something different lol. What do you guys think? Anyone have experience with how much 32 S&W ammo goes for in these parts?

My pops has a Ruger GP100 in 327 Federal Magnum and it is a great gun, just not very economical in terms of practice ammo.

My pops has a Ruger GP100 in 327 Federal Magnum and it is a great gun, just not very economical in terms of practice ammo.

Yeah I think ammo prices pretty much rule that option out for me atleast for now. I guess what it really comes down to is the GP100 or the SP101 in 22lr. Does anyone know of any shops in the area carrying the SP101 in 22? I know its pretty much a brand spanking new release.

Yeah I think ammo prices pretty much rule that option out for me atleast for now. I guess what it really comes down to is the GP100 or the SP101 in 22lr. Does anyone know of any shops in the area carrying the SP101 in 22? I know its pretty much a brand spanking new release.

It's still pretty rare. I may have been fortunate to have mine come in. When I searched for one, locally, all of the distributors have them allocated as far as I know, so its hard to get. I may have jumped the gun enough, that I might have been at the top of the list for one of them.

When I want to plink, I use my S&W K-22 Masterpiece with 8 3/8" barrel. Dirty Harry Lite, LOL! Can shoot the a** of of a mouse! Just ask my kid!

Seriously though, a .22 wheelgun is fun as well as a good trainer for women & kids.

When I want to plink, I use my S&W K-22 Masterpiece with 8 3/8" barrel. Dirty Harry Lite, LOL! Can shoot the a** of of a mouse! Just ask my kid!

Seriously though, a .22 wheelgun is fun as well as a good trainer for women & kids.

Your right, I just picked up a Taurus Model 94 and had some fun at the ID range today, fun little gun, and a darn good workout for the trigger finger.

Harry

Received a call today that my permit is ready to be picked up!!! Guess they weren't just sending me up sh!ts creek, I've actually found that Edison PD has been pretty decent and professional about handling my permits ... it doent take 30 days .... but its not nearly as bad as some of the horror stories I've read on here.

Received a call today that my permit is ready to be picked up!!! Guess they weren't just sending me up sh!ts creek, I've actually found that Edison PD has been pretty decent and professional about handling my permits ... it doent take 30 days .... but its not nearly as bad as some of the horror stories I've read on here.

Cool, now go buy your gun soon so you can start the 30 day clock for the next one as soon as possible. lol

Harry

Cool, now go buy your gun soon so you can start the 30 day clock for the next one as soon as possible. lol

Harry

Oh no no no ... I only can afford 1 gun for now ... got a baby on the way. Besides Id rather spend whats left on ammo for whatever new prized possession I decide to buy.