CageFighter

.380 - best self defense round.

For all you 380 owners, what ammo are you loading for self defense when carrying? I hear alot of good things about the Hornady Critical Defense, but what works best for you? Any suggestions on a +p? I'm thinking about buying a Sig P238, but not sure if a .380 round will suffice, but I like the size of the pistol. Any thought?

I love Hornady defensive ammo. I use their critical defense 38 special stuff in my LCR. I used the TAP 230 +Ps in my XD45 and will use the same round in my 1911. The only Hornady stuff I don't like is their buckshot, only because it has the most recoil out of all the rounds I own.

I will try not to hijack..... but

Is this a good deal for 9mm Hornaday CD ?????

http://www.glensoutdoors.com/Hornady-Critical-Defense-9mm-Luger-115-Grain-FTX-p/90250.htm

And to keep in the theme.... here is the link for the .380

http://www.glensoutdoors.com/Hornady-Critical-Defense-380-ACP-90-Grain-FTX-p/90080.htm

all I have for SD ammo is the Hornady CD. I wasnt sure if there was something better or maybe a hotter round. I know a bunch of guys claim the 380 isnt a great SD round. Just trying to cut thru the BS all over internet.

While the 380 doesn't have the stopping power of a 45 it not a bad round at all. Yes there are better rounds but when you factor in the size of the gun and ease of CCW regardless of if you want IWB, OWB, ankle, pocket, belly or other method of carry I think the trade off of size to power ratio is perfect.

Harry

With smaller calibers it's not necessarily better to even use a hollow point at all. You're dealing with lower power rounds that need to penetrate, this means FMJ is better. On a 380 you could go either way, anything smaller FMJ, larger hollowpoint.

As far as the Sig 238, it feeds various brands 380 ammo better than most other 380 guns do. I have found PPU feeds well in some 380's that are picky.

I will try not to hijack..... but

Is this a good deal for 9mm Hornaday CD ?????

http://www.glensoutd...FTX-p/90250.htm

And to keep in the theme.... here is the link for the .380

http://www.glensoutd...FTX-p/90080.htm

thsoe are very good prices, IF you can pick it up at a store, or they have free shipping. i bought a box of 9mm CD at meltzers for 20. once you add shipping, youll be up close to 20 per box anyway. unless youre buying several boxes, or they have very cheap/free shipping, youre better of just going to the nearest store.

The only good HP's are the ones that will feed reliably and shoot well out of your pistol.

Look at ballistics tests if you want, to check out expansion and penetration. But personally, you have to take those ballistics tests and gelatin tests with a grain of salt.

Hence, I go back to my 'only good rounds are the ones that feed well and shoot well'.

There is no such thing as +P ammo for .380. You COULD get some buffalo bore rounds (Hotter than standard) but those will pack a hell of a wallop if you've got a little pocket pistol.

Shipping from that Glens Outdoors is kinda steep. 2 little boxes of .380 for $12 shipping? That drives the price to $23/box.

if/when i ever carry my baby sigma, i have magsafes for that.

i suppose you can always handload 380 rounds to something near +P, but considering there is no factory ammo rated at +P, i dont know of any pistols rated for it. though adding a few extra grains to get a few extra fps/ft. pounds probably wont hurt.