Are NJ residents now able to apply (and acquire) for a CC permit? A friend of mine has a 45 ACP handgun and showed me a concealed carry permit he now has. is this even possible? He said something about attending a safety class and now is able to carry concealed weapons? Anyone have any information on this? I know there was some talk about bringing CC to NJ but I never thought it would even happen.

Or, was he showing you his FPID? Highly doubtful it was a NJ CCW, unless he's an armored car driver/guard or armed security and, even then, they are restricted to your time on the job.

Hey, if it really was, then kudos to him, but you can color me a doubting Thomas.

Adios,

Pizza Bob

Are NJ residents now able to apply (and acquire) for a CC permit? A friend of mine has a 45 ACP handgun and showed me a concealed carry permit he now has. is this even possible? He said something about attending a safety class and now is able to carry concealed weapons? Anyone have any information on this? I know there was some talk about bringing CC to NJ but I never thought it would even happen.

It'd be pretty funny if it was only an FPID or a Non-resident Florida CCW, but I doubt he'd find it funny when they take away his gun and throw him in jail. The chances of him having an NJ CCW are about the same as me getting hit with a lightning bolt at this very moment and finding a crumpled lottery ticket worth a few million in my hand when I wake up. Okay, maybe not that bad, but the chances are still pretty freakin' high. :icon_e_confused:

A friend of mine obtained one a NJ-CCW as a firearms instructor. He completed a course at Ft. Dix and it was only for awhen "working" as a firearms instructor.

That is the ONLY person I know of who obtained one. Yet I think it was 'restricted' and even going to and fro as a firearms instructor that is job related but NOTHING else, he had to stow it like anybody would stow it (ammo separate, gun locked in trunk bs) etc.

Tell your friend to walk around in the mall with it open carry (since NJ doesn't distinguish between open & conceal carry) and let us know what the 'results' are. :sarcastichand:

Kind of makes me wonder if a police officer even knows what an NJ CCW permit even looks like.

Lets say that you were a valid CCW permit holder and a police officer asked to see it, and he didn't believe you.

My guess is that NJ's CCW permit probably looks a lot like our FID - typewritten with a Polaroid picture. Maybe laminated, maybe not.

When I first got my FID, years ago, I was shocked that it looked so... old and so easy to forge. You would think that they would throw a hologram on their or something... or at least make it wallet sized instead of *just slightly* bigger than a credit card.

Where are police departments even getting typewriter ribbons now?

Kind of makes me wonder if a police officer even knows what an NJ CCW permit even looks like.

Lets say that you were a valid CCW permit holder and a police officer asked to see it, and he didn't believe you.

My guess is that NJ's CCW permit probably looks a lot like our FID - typewritten with a Polaroid picture. Maybe laminated, maybe not.

When I first got my FID, years ago, I was shocked that it looked so... old and so easy to forge. You would think that they would throw a hologram on their or something... or at least make it wallet sized instead of *just slightly* bigger than a credit card.

Brother still makes them for their Electric typewriters.

MOST of the move to technology for reports and stuff has been in the last 10-12 years McB. We were still using Royal MANUAL typewriters up until around 1992 or so, Then Electrics (WOOHOO) and didnt switch to Anything resembling Word processors until 1998-99. I still maintain that the only reason we DID switch is because the Ribbin-Ribbons were just too scarece That said we still have a couple of actual Typewriters squirreled away, along with 4-part reports for when the Computers STB. Although i won't go into what would happen on say a Friday night around midnight or so when the last Ribbon cartridge for the electrics ran out, and there was nobody from the Chief's Office around to get any out of the storeroom...they treated those damn things like they were made from gold. A lot of us went out and bought our own to keep in our briefcases.

MOST of the move to technology for reports and stuff has been in the last 10-12 years McB. We were still using Royal MANUAL typewriters up until around 1992 or so, Then Electrics (WOOHOO) and didnt switch to Anything resembling Word processors until 1998-99. I still maintain that the only reason we DID switch is because the Ribbin-Ribbons were just too scarece That said we still have a couple of actual Typewriters squirreled away, along with 4-part reports for when the Computers STB. Although i won't go into what would happen on say a Friday night around midnight or so when the last Ribbon cartridge for the electrics ran out, and there was nobody from the Chief's Office around to get any out of the storeroom...they treated those damn things like they were made from gold. A lot of us went out and bought our own to keep in our briefcases.

Now tell them what you started with...

rdin582l.jpg

:icon_mrgreen:

I have seen 1!!! They are white, plastic cards, very plain looking. Almost like a BJ's membership card! Digital picture on it as well!

Good question... Most cops don't even know the ins and outs of NJ's firearms law to begin with, but they tend to err on the side of caution and would most-likely call it in to double check your CCW status. I'm sure when they do the background check to the NJSP you will have a little note on your file with your CCW info.

Only issue with forging an FPID is that you need a valid ID number to actually buy a gun using NICS (they keep track of that). Don't really see any usefulness out of doing that... Maybe buy handgun ammo in state (in lieu of jumping the border to PA)? Or fleece someone in a face-to-face transfer (where it's pretty much an honor system)? Though the last one would be really tough to pull off seeing as few people do FtFs without actually knowing the person they're transferring the firearm to.

If one was presented to me, I would have no clue if it were valid or not. NJ might as well not even have CC.

I found a NJ Carry Permit on the net in a Google search.

last one I saw was paper, similar to an FPID card, jsut with a picture and Employer's name on it...that's NOT to say they haven't changed since then. I'll be able to tell y'all for certain next September though :icon_mrgreen:

last one I saw was paper, similar to an FPID card, jsut with a picture and Employer's name on it...that's NOT to say they haven't changed since then. I'll be able to tell y'all for certain next September though :icon_mrgreen:

So... if a cop questions someone on their CCWing... and looks at the permit, how much further do they tend to take it? Does a CCW stop require calling it in to confirm it? I mean, with the little to zero experience officers have with those permits, wouldn't they do so out of caution?

So... if a cop questions someone on their CCWing... and looks at the permit, how much further do they tend to take it? Does a CCW stop require calling it in to confirm it? I mean, with the little to zero experience officers have with those permits, wouldn't they do so out of caution?

if that happens, then by definition they're doing it Wrong...However, personally I'd treat it like any other ID,, if you have DL and CP with matching Id's and info, that's fine. We really dont see many of them, which isnt surprising considering that the folks who do get them aren't running around attracting attention to themselves. hell the last one I had was on a Dead guy, working armed security that kicked it in his boss's office.

I would expect in NJ that anytime someone in law enforcement encounters someone with a CCW would check on it unless there were other supporting documents that they were retired LEO's or the like. I am also not sure but I did hear that a depending on what state it is, that a license check in the state if issue and it will show that the person holds a CCW. Can't remember if that was only on a license check or plate check. Maybe KPD could shed a little light on this, being I read it on the Internet and we know how accurate that is. :icon_mrgreen:

I found a NJ Carry Permit on the net in a Google search.

I do not think the one you found is real. There is no distinction on open or concealed in the law, although there is for retired LEO. That permit is different also.

• Like 1

I would expect in NJ that anytime someone in law enforcement encounters someone with a CCW would check on it unless there were other supporting documents that they were retired LEO's or the like. I am also not sure but I did hear that a depending on what state it is, that a license check in the state if issue and it will show that the person holds a CCW. Can't remember if that was only on a license check or plate check. Maybe KPD could shed a little light on this, being I read it on the Internet and we know how accurate that is. :icon_mrgreen:

There are a couple of states that list CCW on yor DL lookup..Colorado comes to mind..NJ does not do so