I have a few of them. The old 6 shooters and the new 10 shooters. They are the exact same size as the K framed 686 and 620 only in 22 lr with great target triggers. You will not find a better practice revolver in 22 than this.

The Taurus is an exact copy but the trigger pull is akin to breaking a chicken leg every time you squeeze it.

You can shoot 22 lr, shorts, and cb caps out of the 617. I have even hear of some people doing this in their basement back in the day.

Anthony

They are the exact same size as the K framed 686 and 620 only in 22 lr with great target triggers

Nitpick police here - both the 686 and the 620 are L-frame guns. The 617 is a K-frame and as such is slightly smaller. The grip frame is the same for K, L and X-frame S&W's which is maybe where the confusion comes from.

Sorry - in addition to being the nitpick police, I am also a S&W guardian :icon_mrgreen:

Adios,

Pizza Bob

Anthony: Now that I've picked on you, does that mean I get a free course too? j/k

Interesting. I was just on the S&W website. The have the 6" 617 listed, but nothing about the 4". The 4" hasn't been discontinued, has it?

You just didn't scroll down far enough. They list the barrel lengths separately, probably because the blued models these are derived from had two different model numbers (which are also available - model 17 & 18).

Here's the link...

http://www.smith-wesson.com/webapp/wcs/stores/servlet/Product4_750001_750051_764928_-1_757769_757767_757751_ProductDisplayErrorView_Y

Adios,

Pizza Bob

They have one at Shoreshot for rent. I rented it a couple of times and absolutely loved it.

One problem though is after shooting the 617 you don't really want to compromise to anything

lower if your'e looking for a 22lr revolver. It is a lot of money for a 22lr, but it is built

pretty much like any standard S&W revolver.

They have one at Shoreshot for rent. I rented it a couple of times and absolutely loved it.

One problem though is after shooting the 617 you don't really want to compromise to anything

lower if your'e looking for a 22lr revolver. It is a lot of money for a 22lr, but it is built

pretty much like any standard S&W revolver.

Thanks. Maybe I'll check it out.

I think I heard that you don't want to shoot shorts with this pistol. I forget exactly why. Might want to look into it.

Having said that, my cousin has one. It's pretty cool. You can get a speedloader for it and a block to snatch them out of. It's a heavy duty frame so recoil is next to nothing. Kinda pricey but if you have the cash go for it!

I think I heard that you don't want to shoot shorts with this pistol. I forget exactly why. Might want to look into it.

Having said that, my cousin has one. It's pretty cool. You can get a speedloader for it and a block to snatch them out of. It's a heavy duty frame so recoil is next to nothing. Kinda pricey but if you have the cash go for it!

My hopes would be that there's not a .22LR cartridge made that you can't safely fire in this gun. Not sure why shorts, longs, Stingers, Yellow Jackets, etc would not be OK to shoot in this thing.

The confusion on 22LR and safety for Stingers goes back to the 10/22. Ruger 10/22's with a match chamber cannot fire Stinger ammo. The case is to long and could potentially lead to an open bolt firing.

The other confusion is HV ammo. Certain semi's are designed to function with standard velocity ammo NOT HV ammo. This is not an issue with a revolver.

The confusion on 22LR and safety for Stingers goes back to the 10/22. Ruger 10/22's with a match chamber cannot fire Stinger ammo. The case is to long and could potentially lead to an open bolt firing.

The other confusion is HV ammo. Certain semi's are designed to function with standard velocity ammo NOT HV ammo. This is not an issue with a revolver.

And some semi's don't function with out HV ammo.. lol.

I had a 617 in 6inch and sold it. The cylinder alignment was slightly off and it would spit at the forcing cone. I sold it on a trade in for a Para ordinace 45. I could have sent it for warrentee work but at the time it was easier to sell it. Went with a Ruger MKII as my 22 pistol and have not looked back. I regret selling nearly every gun I have sold except that one.

TC