gunforhire

A few of my Instructors would like to comment.

From Joe -

I was going to totally stay out of this but it seems like my instructors and I are under attack by someone who has never been to a class we have taught.

Tosser, thank you for your opinion and input and I do mean that. If people are starting to question us about our prices and classes it means we have raised some eyebrows and are going in the right direction. You were right in some of your statements and wrong in others.

First, I am not going to get sucked into talking bad about other schools. But really Tosser? Putting Magpul and SGM Kyle Lamb of Viking Tactics in the same category has told me all I need to know about you. SGM Lamb is a decorated Delta Force operator and Silver Star recipient. How do you put him in the same column as Chris Costa from Magpul ??? Wait, let me guess...you own all the videos Magpul has ever put out and you have a deposit on the precision rifle one that is in the works? The only reason I even bring this up is because you, in so many words, said GFH just charges high prices because of our marketing and that our instructors are not worth the price because we don't have a $1,000,000 super-produced video in HD on the market. I am in no way bashing Magpul. I plan on attending one of their classes in the upcoming year because I like to see how other instructors work and conduct themselves so that I can make myself a better instructor. But, just because someone has a video does not mean they are better instructors then somebody that does not have one. I would love to take a class from Travis Haley but he formed his own company now and no longer works for Magpul as a full time instructor.

Second I am offended that you did not mention the other top schools around the country that offer top notch training and who help me improve as an instructor and police officer:

1. Jeff Gonzales of Trident Concepts LLC (3 Day class will run you about $550.00)

2. Scott Reitz of ITTS. (Former LAPD SWAT officer and use-of-force expert, also the only class that I ever attended that went over use-of-force in depth)

3. U.S. Training Center (Formerly Blackwater Lodge and Training Center - 5 day class will run $995.00 - the only school I attended that provided on-site armorer service)

There are countless others to list as well: Pat Rogers, Gunsite Academy etc.

Tosser what you fail to understand is that students go to different schools for different reasons. Different schools charge different prices for different reasons. The first reason right off the bat is the student to instructor ratio. I just so happened to attend 3 of the schools you listed for training this past year, to include Viking Tactics. SGM Kyle Lamb is now tied on my list for top instructors in the country with along with Jeff Gonzales. He is a great, down to earth combat vet and one of the nicest special operations members I have ever had the privilege of training under. His course had 24 students and 2 instructors (him being one of the 2). Another school I went to this year (not Viking Tactics) had 24 students and 1 instructor. The last one I was at had 15 students and 1 instructor. The fewer instructors and more students you have, the cheaper the class can be and in turn, the more money the company can make. At GFH it does not work this way. I have 3 instructors at every class I teach and cap all my live-fire shooting classes at 12 people. My Simunitions training classes are capped at 8 students. Why you ask? I know what its like to go to a class jam-packed with people in which the instructors just go through the motions and don't correct the students because the instructor is on the other side of the range and isn't able to give everyone equal time. Second, GFH is based out of North Jersey. As we all know, New Jersey as a whole is a very expensive place to live, work and play. Our range rental fees combined with our student-to- instructor ratio as well as our insurance costs for being a full time training school, drives the price up of our classes. Our classes include both breakfast and lunch and our urban-carbine classes provide on-site armorers.

Another reason why the prices are a bit higher is based on the cadre of instructors the school provides. Neither myself, nor my instructors will ever be on the same level of SGM Lamb or Chief Gonzales. That is just flat out not possible. Just because we were not in military special operations does not mean that we can't provide quality training. All my military instructors have served multiple deployments overseas in both Iraq and Afghanistan Are the bullets that were shot at them any less powerful than the bullets shot at the special operations guys? I think not! One of my instructors is about to begin his 3rd tour of duty overseas. Do you mean to tell me you can't learn something off a guy who served 3 years overseas in combat? Or, is it only special operations guys that see combat overseas? Too bad the Taliban missed that memo with my unit!! As far as my law enforcement instructors go, they have all been in officer- involved shootings and were all cleared as good shoots. We have homicide detectives, SWAT team officers, and etc. all serving as adjunct instructors at GFH. We don't have them because their title sounds good; we have them for their valuable experience and knowledge that can help their students. What better way to get debriefed after a use-of-force scenario than by a current homicide detective working in the busiest county in NJ? You can't get that in too many places. The point of this is that all my guys are active civil servants in these job titles. In order to hire them as instructors and have them come in to teach classes on the very few days that they are off, costs GFH money.

We could be cheap and load the classes with 15 students and have just 1 instructor show up and call it a day, but that is not the way this company will ever be run. If you guys only knew the amount of money and time Anthony puts into fighting for the rights of all NJ Gun owners. To have him wasting his time dealing with this petty stuff is doing nothing but hurting the cause of gun ownership in NJ and playing right into the hands of what the crooked politicians want us to do.

Tosser, I would like to close with this. My instructors have given their blood, sweat and tears for their country and their communities. They have served in far away lands and loaded the bodies of their friends onto helicopters and continued the fight. They have arrested some of the most violent people the state of NJ has to offer and have always maintained a clean and spotless record of their actions. I feel that when you consider all the costs associated with running a full time firearms training school in NJ, I think my guys are worth the money for the service they provide.

Joseph Sente

Firearms & Tactics Instructor

Gun For Hire LLC

[email protected]

• Like 10

From Mac -

I have recently read a gun forum post that irked me. The poster identified himself as only Tosser. Normally I don’t entertain “haterade” from people who hide behind screen names and post tactical warrior pictures of themselves but for some reason this particular person hit a nerve with me, so I apologize in advance for my rant. The poster complained about prices of urban pistol classes and then in a callous attempt to have instructors at GFH indulge in negative comments about other instructors nationwide. As a professional I would never knock another company for teaching the same tactics or techniques that are designed and proven to save lives. The instructors he/she mentioned on the post are absolutely top-notch instructors and for that I give them credit.

I will tell you what GFH offers and allow’s you to make an informed educated decision’s instead of misinformed presumptuous ones. GFH is a company that prides itself on small student to instructor ratios probably an important factor when dealing with loaded firearms. The company is made up of military, law enforcement, and civilian instructors. We make it clear that if it is your intention to storm a foreign country or take part on a swat team entry then speak to the instructors for private classes. We cater to civilian citizens looking to survive an armed encounter. Many of our classes stress this and scenarios are built into each exercise to make the training as realistic as possible. My personal opinion is I don’t care if you can hang upside down and shoot watermelons at 200 yards with your 1911. The question I pose to you is can you legally and justifiably defend yourself and the lives of your loved ones when the game is played with real bullets and not knockdown steel targets? And for argument sake lets just assume that you are one of the lucky ones who do survive, do you know what to do next? Do you know your rights as a civilian gun owner? Do you know that you are bound by a use of force policy in the State of New Jersey? Are you familiar with that policy, have you practiced that policy? So all the above-mentioned questions are also answered during these urban pistol courses. How many other schools address these concerns? In addition we offer a civilian Simunitions (SIMMs) course designed on scenarios that real life citizens encounter. If you’re not familiar with SIMMs let me be the first to inform you that there is a pain penalty associated with a tactical error. So now the game suddenly becomes more real. Heart rate gets elevated, tunnel vision sets in, fine motor skills diminish, and this seems to separate the target shooters from those that are tactically trained. After the scenarios what happens next, what do you do with the person you just shot, how do you prepare for law enforcement arrival. Point is I can go on forever on what separates Gun For Hire from other companies.

So in closing, I urge you to do your homework before you erroneously report false information to legitimate persons wishing to seek quality training at GFH or anywhere else. Take the time to go to the website www.GunForHire.com (its free) and make an informed educated decision. You can also personally call any of the instructors at GFH and I’m sure they will be more than willing to answer your questions.

Thank you,

Det. John Mcaloon

• Like 7

Well finally I see some common sense around here.. and not some FAKE STATEMENTS!!

And for what i see :

9 User(s) are reading this topic

jonathan19163703,Thirty Pack Kayak,Tosser,mcbethr,GunForHire,Joelk,gurugold,vjf915

Hopefully this ends here... and we stop this BS..

THIS IS A GUN FORUM GENTLEMEN .. NOT SOME "LETS START A INTERNET FIGHT FORUM"...!!!

Thats why New jersey is so mess up.. some people prefer to use their free time on some post that are no going nowhere... post something that is going to be of more interest for us the USERS

and for the people that dont know who i am...

My name is Jonathan Canas, Im a firearms instructor... Took several classes at GUN FOR HIRE and other schools... for the people out there looking for some good training in NJ ...

Gun For Hire is the school.. PERIOD.

JC

• Like 1

Good post Anthony. One thing I really like in an instructor is their ongoing efforts to learn and improve, and Mr. Sente really showed that he continually strives to do so in his comments.

Is there any way to tell who will be instructing any given GFH class, as the course descriptions/calendar does not indicate who will be instructing?

• Like 1

Good post Anthony. One thing I really like in an instructor is their ongoing efforts to learn and improve, and Mr. Sente really showed that he continually strives to do so in his comments.

Is there any way to tell who will be instructing any given GFH class, as the course descriptions/calendar does not indicate who will be instructing?

Joel, All of my Urban and Sim classes are headed by my Chief weapons and Tactics Instructor Joe Sente. He uses a very, very tight knit group like Mac and Chuck to run his classes. We use some of my civilian NRA Instructors as RSO's and support staff but not to teach these classes. I do not have the background for that. I work with my guy's to develop and refine our courses with the average civilian in mind and that has been our forte and great cause of our success. Myself, Rob, Jimmy, Charlie, Maria, and the rest of my great staff handle all of the basic and beginner and second step classes. It is a fool of an instructor that doesn't know his or her limitations. I am an old school gunslinger that catches crap from my staff for my love of the wheel gun. They call it a musket I believe. Most of my Gun school heroes are dead or out to pasture.

• Like 1

Lets not forget that you walk into the GunForHire building alone and come out with a FAMILY! :friends: Anthony and staff have ALWAYS bent over backwards to help the firearms community. Whether you have taken a class with them or not, they dont discriminate.

Anthony has a passion like no other and his generosity goes above and beyond. I was somebody who never shot a handgun before until I walked into his classroom. Now, I am a firearms instructor. I cant stress enough how thankful I am in meeting Anthony, Rob, Charlie & the others at GFH. It all started with the attitude once I walked in the door. I was extremely nervous, but I never felt intimidated, an ego, etc from anyone on his staff. With that atmosphere, I would reccomend their classes to anyone.

• Like 3

I read something about the instigator being offered a free class. A brief look at the site, and it looks like the classes are $150-$200. Honestly, how dumb can someone be to turn down a free class like that??

I am the "instigator" and I didn't turn down anything.

I am the "instigator" and I didn't turn down anything.

Okay well I didn't ready much of what happened before, but why cause such a stir? The class is worth something, take it and be grateful. If you don't want to happily and gracefully accept the free class, I sure as hell will on your behalf.

• Like 1

Very good post Anthony and I appreciate the replies from your instructors. It seems as if there is some agreement amongst all of us.

Received your PM. I am currently coordinating the Sims class dates with you, Ray, Matt, and Dan. After the class I welcome whatever input you all have on the class. negative, positive, or none.

And my Chief Instructor just wanted to add this to your agreement response - "Can you please tell him the only thing I agreed on him with was that Kyle Lamb is more qualified then me". Joe Sente

Class details to follow.

Anthony

Received your PM. I am currently coordinating the Sims class dates with you, Ray, Matt, and Dan. After the class I welcome whatever input you all have on the class. negative, positive, or none.

And my Chief Instructor just wanted to add this to your agreement response - "Can you please tell him the only thing I agreed on him with was that Kyle Lamb is more qualified then me". Joe Sente

Class details to follow.

Anthony

Thanks Anthony, I await your email!

I will give you an objective review following the class.

I have these two dates on the schedule. Wondering if either work with the four of you before we try to coordinate between 4 students and 3 instructors.

Home Invasion Force On Force Simunition Training 11/13 8:00 am

Home Invasion Force On Force Simunition Training 12/11 8:00 am

Anthony

Having taken Urban Pistol 1 ........ I cannot believe anyone would question the value of a course...... without ever taken one from the school.....

And someone mentioned...... You go in a student, you come out as part of a family.... so true. Joe Sente and his instructors do an amazing job of making you feel comfortable..... and uncomfortable...lol... when they need to....

Cant wait to take another course....

Having taken Urban Pistol 1 ........ I cannot believe anyone would question the value of a course...... without ever taken one from the school.....

And someone mentioned...... You go in a student, you come out as part of a family.... so true. Joe Sente and his instructors do an amazing job of making you feel comfortable..... and uncomfortable...lol... when they need to....

Cant wait to take another course....

Troy, where you been? We beat this one to death already.

Anthony